What shot do you have pride in

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

What shot do you have pride in

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:57 am

So given the post about short chips that check. It got me thinking.

When I pull off my 15 yard "one hop stop" shot it is normally not expected by others in my group and they seem impressed by it.

So what shot do you have in your bag that your peers don't and how do you hit it?
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: What shot do you have pride in

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:08 am

Like Whitney Houston sang, I have nothing. Nothing to really take pride in. Also worth noting maybe is that I have no peers to compare to. When I am at the range lately however I guess I enjoy seeing my own launch vis a vis most others. Not like that is saying much though, most people's ballflights are unimpressive. I guess my overall golf philosophy is more like that of the self-flagellators. I like to beat myself down.
everyone is gay

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:57 am

jasonfish11 wrote:So given the post about short chips that check. It got me thinking.

When I pull off my 15 yard "one hop stop" shot it is normally not expected by others in my group and they seem impressed by it.

So what shot do you have in your bag that your peers don't and how do you hit it?

It's not one specific shot for me, though your one hop and stop shot is one of my favorites to show off. My whole wedge game makes me proud (most of the time), maybe with the exception of my bunker play, which is usually pretty good, but not as good as my chipping and short pitching. I can stop most chips on a dime with spin (if necessary) from the short grass and can hit the high shot from rough and make it release only a yard or two, even without any real spin on it. I can also hit a pretty good flop shot from the right lie. I feel like I have a whole arsenal of shots in my bag that most 7-12 handicappers don't, or are not confident enough to try. I'm sure there are shots I don't have too, but with the ones I do, I seem to be able to get up & down more than most guys and I am proud of the fact that some of the guys I play with at my club call me the "Short Game King." Though I am not really as good as that moniker sounds, everything is relative. So it feels good when they are constantly commenting positively on my short-game prowess, particularly since they hit it far longer off the tee, but my score is usually 3 or 4 strokes lower at the end of the day.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:45 am

Mine is the bladed wedge chip/putt from off the green that rolls like a putt over the grainy fringe. Think Robert Streb at the Greenbriar after he broke his putter. In fact, I am so confident with it, I talk about doing a three club challenge with friends sometime, and a putter would not be one of my clubs. (Btw, would be 3 hybrid, 7 iron, and 56* wedge.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:49 am

srogers13 wrote: Btw, would be 3 hybrid, 7 iron, and 56* wedge.

Perfect set up. Totally agree.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:42 pm

I don't excel at any one shot or phase of the game. That being said, the President of our company has played a fair amount of golf with me. Apparently I have been "on" enough with my game for him to have given me the nickname, BMW*

* The Ultimate Driving Machine
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

CeeBee

Postby CeeBee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:56 pm

I'd say I'm a pretty good putter. :roll:
Tee it up!

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:07 pm

CeeBee wrote:I'd say I'm a pretty good putter. :roll:

Cool. I second that motion! :yess
I'm gonna go low this time...

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm known to be a good putter so I would say I have the most pride in my putting, but I also love to chip. Putting is more consistent so I would say putting.

MattF

Postby MattF » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:23 am

Any of them that go where I actually wanted them to.
Throw me another ball will ya!

Mr. Etiquette

Postby Mr. Etiquette » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:48 pm

Pride is too strong a word for the feeling I get when I smack one of my tee shots down the middle, but it does feel good. My golfing companions, Louis Compston, Gerald Dartmoor and Percy Woodsmith, all tell me I have the most consistent tee game amongst our club's regular players.
"Life be not so short but that there is always time for courtesy."

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:30 pm

A chip with the hybrid from the fringe that snuggles up to the hole
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:29 pm

Like beef, not much really. The only thing that I can do differently is get off the tee further than most (hackers). Of course, you need the other shots to make that first one more than 'just for show'.

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:16 am

Plopping it on the green with an iron & having a birdie attempt/easy par. It doesn't happen often, it's not a part of the game I excel @... but when it happens I feel like I've beaten the hole.

Think Herm Edwards "you play to win the game"... turned into "you play to win the hole"
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:58 pm

That is one of the more satisfying things, isn't it? Well struck, legit iron shot, 150 yds+, sticking it to w/in 10 feet.

Mr. Etiquette

Postby Mr. Etiquette » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:05 am

This time of year is most distressing. Wearing white is definitely a fashion faux pas and yet I so enjoy the look of the classic dark cardigan set off against my crisp stone linen slacks. Adding to the misery of the season, often mud splashes from fairway shots, which totally ruins the look.

So, circling back to the original query, my most prideful shot is the perfect clipping of my irons with nary a trace of turf taken. Glide the club head along the carpet like surface, no mud, no splashing - perfection.

p.s. Anyone heard from my fellow countryman, JPJ? What has he been up to, besides picketing on behalf of his former golf course?
"Life be not so short but that there is always time for courtesy."

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:40 pm

I'm a master of the tap-in putt. I'm talking the ones that are less than one ball rotation away from going in the hole. I've only missed like three or four of those in my entire life.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:46 pm

bryan k wrote:I'm a master of the tap-in putt. I'm talking the ones that are less than one ball rotation away from going in the hole. I've only missed like three or four of those in my entire life.

:thumbs

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”