Playing in the Slop

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Playing in the Slop

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:56 am

As I mentioned elsewhere, golf in the Soggy Mitten has reached epic levels of sogginess. A couple of tips for any other fools who might venture out:

1. When standing in a particularly wet area, choke up a bit. You will be a bit shorter because of sinking into the turf. As a shorter person, a shorter length shaft/club is needed.

2. When hitting to an extremely wet fairway, use your GPS to measure how far you have walked from the tee. For example, if I hit a decent drive, the ball will typically fly 200-210 yards. In cooler temps that might be 190-200. So I measure 200 yards from the tee and start looking for a plug mark in a roughly 10 yard radius circle.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Re: Playing in the Slop

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:05 am

I know Beef would be appalled, but I hope you are playing Lift, Clean and Place in those conditions. I have been rolling the ball all winter (when necessary) due to the wetness. Sometimes there is no good place to roll it, it's so wet. This isn't golf, but it is a way to keep your swing somewhat intact through the off-season.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:07 am

DougE wrote:I know Beef would be appalled, but I hope you are playing Lift, Clean and Place in those conditions. I have been rolling the ball all winter (when necessary) due to the wetness. Sometimes there is no good place to roll it, it's so wet. This isn't golf, but it is a way to keep your swing somewhat intact through the off-season.

Ha ha ha - lift clean and toss! ;)
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:10 am

DougE wrote:I know Beef would be appalled, but I hope you are playing Lift, Clean and Place in those conditions. I have been rolling the ball all winter (when necessary) due to the wetness. Sometimes there is no good place to roll it, it's so wet. This isn't golf, but it is a way to keep your swing somewhat intact through the off-season.
Not appalled. Live and let live is what I say.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:11 am

I have noticed that I tend to catch a case of the thins, whenever the turf is very wet.
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:20 am

legitimatebeef wrote:I have noticed that I tend to catch a case of the thins, whenever the turf is very wet.
That is a result of your subconscious mind not wanting to get your clothing covered in mud.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:24 pm

DougE wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:I have noticed that I tend to catch a case of the thins, whenever the turf is very wet.
That is a result of your subconscious mind not wanting to get your clothing covered in mud.
I solve that problem by wearing clothes only worn to play golf. :school
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:15 am

Same here. Fat or thin - my ball striking is pretty poor when hitting from a bog. I have to force myself to hit through the ball and club up a lot since even a good strike is affected by the water.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:29 am

Going to play in slop today. Rained on and off all weekend and poured (and sleeted) all day yesterday. 40* now. Not expecting much (except fat and thin shots....and plugged bal!s.) CeeBee may join me.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:39 am

DougE wrote:Going to play in slop today. Rained on and off all weekend and poured (and sleeted) all day yesterday. 40* now. Not expecting much (except fat and thin shots....and plugged bal!s.) CeeBee may join me.
Aim for the high ground! Best of luck out there. :D
Let's Play 36

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:37 am

Charlie and I played yesterday on the wet and spongy Clustered Spires G C. They have White, white/green combo or red. We had a group of women behind us so naturally we had to go off the whites. You know, ego. Some were back further than would be in peak season. Bastards! Played long.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:36 am

CeeBee wrote:... We had a group of women behind us so naturally we had to go off the whites...
:) I know the feeling. I was playing the "Red" tees last November for fun. Caught up to a 4-some of men who politely allowed me to play through while they stood on the "back" tee. :facepalm
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:49 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
CeeBee wrote:... We had a group of women behind us so naturally we had to go off the whites...
:) I know the feeling. I was playing the "Red" tees last November for fun. Caught up to a 4-some of men who politely allowed me to play through while they stood on the "back" tee. :facepalm
BK is a real man and this story exemplifies it. Lesser men would be cowed and hit from the back tee. The courses around here are full of lesser men. :nope
A golfball wizard's