The World Famous Sir Nicholas Alexander Faldo Early Wrist-set Drill

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

The World Famous Sir Nicholas Alexander Faldo Early Wrist-set Drill

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:00 pm

This drill is considered canonical by many. Wondering if anybody here is a practitioner of it and has any feedback. I find it very interesting. Even if you don't have or pursue an early wrist set swing, not that there's anything wrong with that, I think it's helpful/instructive in finding a good position at the top.
insufficient data

bryan k

Re: The World Famous Sir Nicholas Alexander Faldo Early Wrist-set Drill

Postby bryan k » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:37 pm

It has been a couple of years since my most recent golf lesson, and this was the number one topic.

I have a tendency to hole the club face closed simply because I am more afraid of a slice than I am of a hook. My ugly hook still does 200 yards within reasonable proximity of the fairway. My slice tends to find a wall to go over.

I spent dozens upon dozens of hours practicing this. I swing exactly like the video. And it hasn't done me a lick of good.

The number one problem I have with my swing is the degree at which I angle my wrist. It really is that simple. Except, it isn't that simple.

If you can find a way for me to make certain that I get into that exact same wrist position each and every time I swing the club, I'd easily knock five strokes off my handicap.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 pm

It looks good in theory, until you ingrain an early wrist set in your swing (not as a drill) and you rob yourself of a good chunk of power because your swing arc has become so narrow. This is what I did unfortunately after seeing this many years ago, before I consulted a golf swing instructor, who spent well over a year trying to get my takeaway initiated with the big triangle instead of the wrists, and I still have that flaw to an extent. But, if you have never "found" the proper position at the top, sure, use that drill. Remember, it's just a drill.
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:01 pm

Ok so I hit some actual balls using the drill. It revealed quite a bit about both backswing and downswing. I was able to make solid contact and hit to normal distances. Not going to make any grand proclamations but I am going to keep pursuing it for the time being. My normal position at the top is pretty different from Faldo's "absolutely spot on" position.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:01 pm

sjduffers wrote:Remember, it's just a drill.

Just because you said that I am going to take it out to the course and play actual golf with it. :ohyeah
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 pm

I've also seen video where Faldo is describing the old ball flight laws.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Let me guess. "Aim the clubface where you want the ball to finish..."

UNFAIR :breaking

A lot of reputable people believed in the old ball flight laws. That's why it was such a revolution when the new ones became known.

The preset drill may or may not be hokum, I am not smart enough to know at this point. But I feel its merit kind of speaks for itself. You can't really deny that the position achieved by Faldo's sequence of movements is a good solid position at the top.
insufficient data

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 pm

Shane Crosby is the name of my golf instructor. You can call him and ask him about it. He'll agree because we've had that discussion.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:35 pm

sjduffers wrote:It looks good in theory, until you ingrain an early wrist set in your swing (not as a drill) and you rob yourself of a good chunk of power because your swing arc has become so narrow. This is what I did unfortunately after seeing this many years ago, before I consulted a golf swing instructor, who spent well over a year trying to get my takeaway initiated with the big triangle instead of the wrists, and I still have that flaw to an extent. But, if you have never "found" the proper position at the top, sure, use that drill. Remember, it's just a drill.

Can you explain the "big triangle"?

The reason I ask is because I've had two different golf instructors who have taught me a takeawy identical to this drill. I think my high school golf instructor might have as well, but I am too old to remember that shit.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:45 am

My reference to the big triangle is to the triangle (largely made of big muscles) consisting of the shoulders and the arms (as opposed to small muscles found in the hands, wrists, etc...). A takeaway involving this triangle rotating around the trunk is also called a one piece takeaway, I think.

You just keep the butt of the club pointing at the same area of the trunk as you turn back, keeping the big triangle as together as you can until you have to bend the trail (right) elbow, which is after the club is past being parallel to the ground. In theory that keeps the swing arc as wide as possible, storing more power. In that model, the wrists hinge on the way up, ie after or at the same time as the trail elbow bends.
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:10 am

bryan k wrote:Shane Crosby is the name of my golf instructor. You can call him and ask him about it. He'll agree because we've had that discussion.

"Hi, is this Shane Crosby?"

"Yes it is! What can I do you for?"

"You have a student named 'Bryan K'?"

"Hmmm...."

"Bryan with a 'y'?"

"Hmmm.... oh yes, that's right, Bryan K."

"Do you agree that Bryan's number one swing problem is his wrist angle?"

"I'm sorry, who am I speaking to?"
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:17 am

I've hit balls twice now using this fackin drill. Majority of balls hit using the preset. I can hit it clean, and far enough... what's to stop me from using this as my actual golf swing? I wouldn't be the first. It doesn't violate any rules either. Judge not, lest ye be judged. Prick.

Anyways that's neither here nor there. Let's talk about the drill and What's Going On. It's working for me but man what a host of new weird feels, at all stages of the swing. Feels weird man. Like I'm coming into the ball with a huge bowed wrist. Maybe because I am accustomed to casting. I am not sure. I will keep using the drill for the time being. It gives me something to believe in, some sort of absolute. When you have been treading water in a sea of retarded swing thoughts, you become desperate for any sort of footing. Anyways I look at the video of myself and in spite of the weird-ass feels, shit looks quite sound so it would be kind of stupid to abandon just because the drill looks funny and people give you dirty looks and whatever.
insufficient data

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:08 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
bryan k wrote:Shane Crosby is the name of my golf instructor. You can call him and ask him about it. He'll agree because we've had that discussion.

"Hi, is this Shane Crosby?"

"Yes it is! What can I do you for?"

"You have a student named 'Bryan K'?"

"Hmmm...."

"Bryan with a 'y'?"

"Hmmm.... oh yes, that's right, Bryan K."

"Do you agree that Bryan's number one swing problem is his wrist angle?"

"I'm sorry, who am I speaking to?"

Boy. It sure does sound ridiculous when you phrase it like that.

I misspelled his name anyway. It's "Shane Crosley". I recommend him if you're ever stuck in the Phoenix area. Easily, the most impactful golf lessons I've ever received.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:09 pm

One thing I might recommend, beef, is to try to hit a few balls intentionally overhinging and intentionally underhinging that wrist so you can see the effect.

DougE

Postby DougE » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:10 am

I have used the drill in the past, but since I saw this thread a week or so ago, I have tried it again with good results. I have even used it with some full wedge shots on the course and frankly, got more distance than normal. Went from hitting my 58* LW regularly 65-70 yards with a 3/4+ swing, to hitting it 70-75 yards. 5-10 yards on my other wedges too.

More importantly, I seem to get more zing off the clubface. Feels like my ball speed is up. However, I am not stopping in the middle of my backswing to align my hands to the target line and then starting back from there. I am just trying to be conscious of setting my wrists into that position while making the backswing, yet still starting straight back and maintaining my "Y" as long as feasible. It has garnered some good results. Unfortunately, it seems to put more stress on my already bad left shoulder at the top. So, can't go back quite as far as normal. Maybe that's actually a good thing. Swing stays more under control. I'll play around with it some more.

Thanks for refreshing my memory of this drill, Beef. I think it is helpful. I have also picked up some other good points from various Faldo drills in the past.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:04 am

I'm all about helping people :heybaby
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Hitting balls with this drill still feels weird (easy to turn my shoulders too flat etc), even though it usually produces a decent strike, if pulled a bit. That probably should tell me something about me addressing with a closed face/bad grip. Get off my back, I'll do it later!!! :fkno

What I'm using this Faldo drill more for is to learn and feel and experience that position at the top, and compare it to what happens when I make a real backswing. Training myself with it, feels like I'm making a mild quantum leap in progress, if such a thing is possible. Basically using it as a tool to build a good backswing.
insufficient data

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:48 pm

I think you made an important observation in your first paragraph, though, Beef. I think it is extremely common for players to block out the proper wrist hinge in a subconscious effort to keep the ball going straight. The hardest golf swing error to fix is a slice, and the reason why is because there are several different mechanics that go into causing it. I would deliberately leave my club face closed in my back swing to compensate. The result was a natural pull that went a long way if all of the stars aligned. If one small item was out of synch, though, the result was a disaster.

I see a lot of players struggle with this.

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri May 19, 2017 7:43 am

Beef, I have to thank you again for bringing up this old Faldo drill. I have integrated it into my actual swing over the last month or so, albeit in a somewhat more seamless manner than the drill, and I have had some of my best ballstriking in years. Maybe ever. In fact, I found a way to work it into my driver swing and lo and behold, when I get everything synced up properly, the ball is jumping off my driver face like never before. Even one of my regular playing partners who regularly outdrove me last year is wondering what the hell I'm doing, because he rarely outdrives me anymore. He keeps saying, "Man, you are driving the ball well." My drives are 30 yards longer on the days I can sync things up. Even on the days I can't get it all working perfectly, I can usually still hit it further than I did before integrating this into my swing.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri May 19, 2017 2:35 pm

My life has also been changed by this drill. Let us join hands and sing.
insufficient data

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Fri May 19, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm glad to see more people on this bandwagon. It quite literally change my life as well. When I hit the ball poorly, it's almost always because I can't get this down. Last weekend, I lifted my front foot on a tee shot and ended up topping the ball to the front tees. I was so excited that I actually did something else wrong that I proceeded to go up and down from there.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Mon May 22, 2017 12:19 pm

So I haven't had much time at all for golf, but tried this drill this weekend at the range. Was very useful not only for planing correctly, but for eliminating a lot of other bad backswing habits, like snatching it away with the right arm, swaying, etc.

In practicing the early wrist set, it takes the rear arm out of the takeaway (dragging the club) and I was able to get a much tighter shoulder turn (Mickelson's 'turning in the barrel' feel). Hips turn back much better. Was hitting iron shots crisper than I have in a long time.

Thanks for posting this Beef.

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:26 am

Beef, again, so glad you brought this drill up and refreshed my memory of it. I have consciously incorporated it into my regular swing and it has made a dramatic difference in my game of late. It has been mentioned to me on more than a few occasions over the last couple months, by various people around the course, that my early wrist set is obvious, but I don't care that people see it. My ballstriking with irons and wedges has been much better than I can remember it being, at least since before my shoulder surgery 5 or 6 years ago. I am even using an earlier wrist set with my hybrids, fws and driver with more success. Getting much more pop off the clubface.

Last evening I went to the range to get more used to my new driver and to try some different shafts in it, while comparing it to my old driver set up. I was hitting all versions/set ups with both drivers as good as I have ever hit my driver. I was actually not on the range, but was hitting off the first tee from the blue tees. I hit 10 balls, hopped in the cart and picked them all up, then came back and hit them again. I hit 2 or 3 with different shafts with different designs and flexes, and with two different heads (915D2 or 917D2), with different loft settings. It was very helpful to help convince me that my driver fitting by Titleist was on the money.

As it turned out, the driver set up Titleist fit me for was the best for me. 9.5* loft, Diamana 60 Blue, Stiff shaft. I hit an Aldila Rogue 60 in R flex, and an older model Diamana Blueboard 62 in Stiff in my comparisons. What I found was that I hit all of them similarly, but got a bit more draw out of the Rogue R-flex. But, what really felt great was that I incorporated another tip, in addition to the early wrist set, and I was easily getting 15-20 yards more distance off the tee. I know because, as I said, I was hitting from the blue tees, yet virtually every drive I hit was well past my typical landing area from the white tees which I play most often.

Plus, at the end of my session, I dropped three balls out in the fairway to hit into the pin which was in the middle of the green. I had 138 to the pin. Normally I would hit an 8i. But I wanted to see if this new "tip" combined with my now ingrained early wrist-set would get me more distance. So, I hit 9i, my regular 120-130 club. (I use Players-style irons, so distance is typically going to be less than with a GI-style iron with bigger sweet spots, more forgiving faces and stronger lofts.) Each ball ended up past the pin, one leaving a ball mark 1 foot off the pin, all stopping between 140-148 from where I hit them. I never hit 9 iron shots that far. (I'm old, remember?)

The tip? Oh, easy. Just push your left arm as far away from your head as possible at the top of the backswing. No need to overturn. Seems simple and something you assume you are already doing, but surprisingly for me, I guess that extra inch or two of left arm extension at the top was missing. Got 10 extra yards at least with my 9i and 20 with driver. (Obviously, the rest of your swing has to be somewhat sound.) I am excited to use this simple swing thought today in my round. See if it works under pressure. That, combined with my early wrist-set might be the secret for me. Who knows? I'll give it a shot and hope for the best.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:44 am

YOU'RE WELCOME
insufficient data

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:53 pm

DougE wrote:?.. I am excited to use this simple swing thought today in my round...

Doug, do not read this post until July 15.

Swing thoughts last a week, maybe two. Enjoy the time, play a lot, but don't plan on using that swing thought for long. :bawl
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”