Just Got Fit For Driver

DougE

Just Got Fit For Driver

Postby DougE » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Had my appointment at a 'Titleist Thursdays' event earlier today. Was only booked for a fitting, but got a fantastic free hour and a half-long driver lesson with the Titleist pro who was working in tandem with the Titleist fitter. Their next appointment didn't show, so I got lots of attention throughout that time slot, plus my own. They gave me some good news and bad news about my driver swing. Other than the fact that it has been band-aided together as a result of all sorts of changes and revisions necessary to swing with the least amount of pain since my shoulder surgery, and other nagging physical problems, I was told that, for an older guy, I actually have quite a bit of flexibility and with a few set up changes there is a lot more distance in me. They asked my handicap and the pro felt I could go a lot lower if I can get my driver swing more like my iron swing. Distance is something he felt I should be able to get more of, consistently.

They actually put me back into a stiff shaft after playing a regular shaft for the last 10 years. I found the changes that the pro recommended for my swing and set up to feel very uncomfortable, but I understand how they would be better for me. I was able to hit a few good ones with the different set up, illustrating some great potential. Still don't think I'll ever hit it 50 extra yards, but 20-30 would be nice and very attainable. It will take a fair amount of practice to re-program my set up and swing, but I believe I can make it work, because it makes sense to me.

The pro also reviewed my iron swing (which was not part of the fitting) and felt it was quite good. However, he felt, with a touch more extension, I can get probably get another 10 yards out of my irons. He showed me what I have to do to do so, but I hate to mess with that swing, it has been so consistent of late, but will gradually try to work on more extension on the range. I'm fine hitting my 9i 125-130 yards for now. I'm usually straight and accurate, so the lack of distance isn't killing me. But adding 10 yards to all my irons could make a huge positive difference.

I'm not ready to buy the new 917F just yet--I don't have a spare $500 floating around--but I happen to have an older version of the Diamana Blue 60 stiff shaft, which I took out of my previous 913 driver. They suggested I replace my Aldila Rogue Black 60 Regular flex presently in my 915F with my old Diamana. My spin numbers were better with it in the 917.

The fitting was free. If you get an opportunity to go to a Titleist Thursdays fitting near you, you really should. You don't have to buy anything, and the focus is solely on you. There are not 15 others hitting around you. Just you, the fitter, and in my case a Titleist pro instructor. I don't know if that is the case at all Titleist Thursdays, but for mine I had both guys, not only fitting me, but instructing me free of charge as well. It was worth the 45 minute drive for me. In fact, for me, I felt like I got about $300 worth of private lessons. Now, I just have to work these things into my swing and, unfortunately, get a few things that are already in there, out.

DougE

Re: Just Got Fit For Driver

Postby DougE » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:23 am

One last thing, FYI, these Titleist Thursday fittings are offered in locations all over the country throughout the Spring and Summer and are completely free. They are for whatever clubs you might be interested in, from wedges to driver. Obviously Titleist. You have to make your appointment ahead of time and you get 45 minutes of undivided attention. If you are interested in both irons and woods, for instance, they will book you 2 slots so they have 1.5 hours to work solely with you.

Even if you are a Callaway guy or TM or whatever, you can sign up for a private session. Just let them know you are planning to purchase at some point soon and you will get a lot of great information (and maybe even some free instruction, as I did) of which you can extrapolate some helpful numbers for when you do actually plan to buy. For example, knowing your spin numbers with the best Titleist driver set up for you, could be quite enlightening, and a good base for checking other brand driver set-ups against it. Everything is done on Trackman.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:30 am

Sounds cool Doug! Not for me though. I am terrified of :quotez free :quotez consultations.
insufficient data

Coda1850

Postby Coda1850 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:57 am

Free sounds like a great price. Where is the info on this (sorry if I'm extra lazy today). I am absolutely dying to go to sleep... doesn't titleist have some place in Mass? I'm kinda afraid to go to these things - golf is scary.

My rented set had last years M2... it was saaa-weeet. I really liked it.
Low Round: 83, +11 Green Hill - 09/15/14
Low Round: 83, +11 Indian Meadows - 09/12/15

Mark unread?

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:34 pm

Coda1850 wrote: Where is the info on this (sorry if I'm extra lazy today). ... doesn't titleist have some place in Mass? I'm kinda afraid to go to these things - golf is scary.

http://www.titleist.com/thursdays

Yes, Titleist is based in Acushnet, MA and has an awesome fitting facility there (called Manchester Lane). A extremely comprehensive driver fitting there could cost $250 or more. Titleist Thursdays are FREE, with fittings offered all over the country. They certainly are not as in-depth as what you would get at the Manchester Lane facility, but like you said, free is a great price.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:53 am

Cool stuff Doug. I've been talking about doing something like that. Feel line I've got to get more consistent before I go though. Too self conscious about my swing.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:23 am

Duke of Hazards wrote: Feel line I've got to get more consistent before I go though.

"I need to get in shape before I can start going to the gym" :breaking
insufficient data

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:41 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Duke of Hazards wrote: Feel line I've got to get more consistent before I go though.

"I need to get in shape before I can start going to the gym" :breaking

I always say, round is a shape. :ohyeah
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:24 pm

The Diamana Blue 60 shaft is nice. I had one once in something or the other driver I can't remember now.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Let me just say that I love the title of this thread. It is absolutely loaded with douchebaggy undertones. I picture DougE sitting at the computer typing it up while sporting a popped collar and sunglasses.

edit: got so excited I accidentally typed "I love the thread of this title" :facepalm
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Not that I am questioning DougE's sincerity. He is like, the best guy on here. It's just the title reads as comically smug.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:30 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Not that I am questioning DougE's sincerity. He is like, the best guy on here. It's just the title reads as comically smug.

You have been a bit cantankerous of late. Go hit some balls. :school
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:53 pm

bkuehn1952 wrote:You have been a bit cantankerous of late. Go hit some balls. :school

Hit more balls? I don't have much room for growth in that department. Anyways I am just poking fun, that is my way. My posts here are overwhelmingly positive in spirit. I mean look at the topics I started recently: Nick Faldo drill, Golf Commercial Classics, What Rules Would You Change? Obviously the work of a man who is keen on advancing the interests of golf and its people.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:58 pm

And how come anytime I poke fun at someone, everyone's face turns all serious all of a sudden. Meanwhile I find myself at the bottom of many a verbal dogpile and I don't make a big deal.
insufficient data

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:49 pm

I certainly don't mind having fun poked at me in good fun, but in this case, I'm not so sure I understand the poke/joke. What is it about the title of the thread that is, or seems, so smug? In any case, I'm happy you got a kick out of it, I just wish I understood why it's funny. I'd like to take credit for such a creative thread title, but I didn't think for a second about it.

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:21 pm

I love that you got fit but aren't in the market for a driver right now - I could never do that. Either I wouldn't have the patience to go through the fitting or I couldn't stand to have the fitting done and not buy.

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:36 pm

You forget that DougE is both a Titleist junkee and a slave to them at the same time.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Actually, I am considering a new driver, but I got fit because I was really questioning the shaft I had in my present 915 D2. Also, I do expect to buy a 917 at some point, but the Titleist Thursdays fitting was available at a location close by to me last week, so I took advantage rather than pay for a fitting when I am actually ready to buy later in the year.

As a result of the fitting, I changed shafts and am really hitting the ball well with it. My regular weekly golf buddy is usually 10 yards or more longer than me off the tee, even though I have been hitting my driver pretty well lately. Last season he was 30 yards longer. Since changing my shaft to the Diamana 60 stiff before yesterday's round, I really noticed a lot more stability. Today I played with him and outdrove him by 10 yards or more, on many drives. After the 3rd or 4th time I blew by him he asked "What, did you start eating Wheaties or something?" I told him I changed shafts and he said "I guess those guys [fitters] know what they're doing."

The fitting was a good move for me.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:47 pm

methinks mr beef just funnin ya
I seriously did have that shaft on a driver a while back. But derp I cannot remember which one :0
think it was a cleveland...
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:45 am

Mitsubishi makes a damn fine shaft, fwiw. I have the Diamana Ahina 70s in my driver.

DougE

Postby DougE » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:37 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:Mitsubishi makes a damn fine shaft, fwiw. I have the Diamana Ahina 70s in my driver.

Funny, a few years back I was fit into an Ahina 70 for my Titleist 913D2. It was stiff, and the fitting was done at Golf Galaxy. I thought they were just trying to sell me an Ahina 70 stiff because that's what was on most of the drivers they had left on the floor. I didn't really think the "fitting" was that comprehensive (since it was GG and not a true fitter), so I opted instead for a regular flex Khali 60 (the predecessor to the Diamana S+ 60 Blueboard). I never quite saw the numbers with the Khali that I had hoped for and often thought about changing over to the Ahina, but never did. I think I was afraid of the stiff flex. Maybe I shouldn't have been. I'm hitting this new stiff better than ever. (Well, maybe not better than EVER, but better than I have hit anything since I became old with blown out shoulders.)

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sat May 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Went to Golf Galaxy today to explore since with the 3 inches of rain we are getting there isn't golf to be had. Ended up hitting a few drivers, then focused on the Titleist and Cobra - was going to try the Ping but I just don't like the looks of it. I've always been a little skeptical about all the talk about shafts, but the guy put me into a 50 gm shaft due to my low ball flight and it helped a lot.

Will probably go with the King F7 as I've had good success with Cobra. Hoping for the price to come down. Once I buy, I will eventually want matching hybrids. I must say the new Titleist hybrids look great - almost enough to steer me away from Cobra.

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”