How to use alignment rods

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

How to use alignment rods

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:22 am

So I found out this week that I line up nearly every putt left of my intended line. This has made me feel that left to right putts are much easier than right to left. I miss nearly all right to left putts on the low side.

That being said I've been putting w/ and alignment rod. I try to find a super straight 8-10' putt then put the alignment rod down pointing at the left edge of the cup and put the ball so that the rod is just off the heel of my putter. The rod pointing at the left edge causes my eye line and putter to be lined up at the center of the cup.

So I got to thinking why am I putting the alignment rod on the inside of the putter, instead of the outside? Then my next question was does putting it on the inside or outside work better for someone who generally lines up too far left or right? My gut feeling is that if you aim too far left it is best to put the alignment rod on the inside of the putter and if you aim too far right it is best to put it on the outside.

What say ye? Does putting the alignment rod on the inside or outside help promote fixing a certain alignment issue more than the other?

And yes I tried 2 alignment rods, but it was just too much visually and my ADD took over.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Re: How to use alignment rods

Postby DougE » Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 am

Without actually trying it, but just thinking it through in my head, I would agree that putting the alignment rod on the inside or outside might help whichever alignment problem you have (lining up too far one way or another). However, I'm not sure which side of the putterhead would work best for ME. I know when using rods for my full swing, I like two of them. One for target/alignment placed somewhere between my toes and 3 or 4 inches inside the ball, and one to help guide my path into the ball, which I always use outside of where I want the clubhead to travel. Since putting is typically not actually straight back and straight through, but has some slight arc to the stroke for most people, I might be more inclined to use a rod on the outside of the clubhead, regardless of whether my typical alignment and aim is inside or outside the cup. But honestly, without trying it, I can't say it is the right choice.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:22 am

Wow I should proof read before hitting submit if I'm at work and being distracted half way though sentences.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed May 17, 2017 10:38 pm

I have never used alignment rods for anything except my feet. I have used the baseboards to practice the pendulum motion, though, which is close. When swinging full clubs, if I'm using an alignment rod on my swing, it would be due to an over-the-top motion. I find that putting a physical obstruction back there (like a pool noodle) is far more effective.

I think most righties tend to miss to the right because of the tendency people have to line their feet up at the hole instead of lining their feet up to a spot that is on a perpendicular line to the hole (or more intelligently, lining the club up and then setting one's feet). You've probably already thought of this, but is the lie angle on your putter correct? I used to have a tendency to pull until I got fitted for a putter. And then I had a tendency to push because I had gotten so used to compensating for the pull.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:13 am

So I haven't checked the lie angle with a pro. I just adjusted it so the putters sole was flat to the ground (no toe or heel rise). It is nice being able to adjust the lie angle though.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Thu May 18, 2017 7:07 pm

I thought I'd bring it up. Last weekend, I played with a guy who is 6'10" and is playing with clubs that are much too small. The result is that he is almost always hitting a push-fade because the toe is always down at impact. It's frustrating to me because I think the right clubs could knock 10-12 strokes off of this guy's handicap.

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”