Playing in the Rain - Part Deux

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Playing in the Rain - Part Deux

Postby bkuehn1952 » Mon May 22, 2017 1:38 pm

One fault I have is "re-gripping." Essentially one loosens their left hand grip in the back swing. Typically the clubface becomes shut and then one re-tightens the grip on the down swing. The result is duck hooks or, at best, low hooking shots. Fast forward to Saturday. I was somewhat amazed at my ball striking while at the same time being thoroughly soaked while playing 6 holes in a steady rain. I think, in an effort to maintain a hold on the wet grip with my wet glove and right hand, I gave the club a more even and continuous grip. No shut face duck hooks. Lots of solidly hit slight draws or fades.

No, I don't recommend playing in the rain or wetting down one's grips and glove/hands. It did get me thinking about inconsistent grip pressure as possibly being a source of my poor ball striking of late.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Re: Playing in the Rain - Part Deux

Postby GBOGEY » Fri May 26, 2017 7:17 pm

I don't know about playing in the rain but today the course was about as soaked as I have ever played in. I was taken by surprise as I was out of town all week and apparently it poured twice. Had several balls plug. Most interesting, I just read an article about how it is easier to make a ball spin in the rain. Sure enough, I had 3-4 shots dance backwards. Cool, if only lucky.

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”