Wedge Talk

GBOGEY

Wedge Talk

Postby GBOGEY » Tue May 30, 2017 9:13 pm

This may be really stupid, but I'm looking at new wedges and totally confused by too many grinds. Can anyone explain all these grinds? Titleist has like 5 or 6. How do you know if your swing is shallow or steep with wedges? I normally feel reasonably educated but this is beyond me.

DougE

Re: Wedge Talk

Postby DougE » Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Don't know if you have already seen this, but if not, maybe it can help. Watch the grind videos for each.

http://www.vokey.com/nav/wedge-selection.aspx#

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Eidolon is the company that invented "grind". Of course, pros have been doing it for a long time, but Eidolon's V-Sole was the first patented golf club grind.

I personally hated the V-Sole, but that's another story altogether.

I thing that the primary advantage to grinding down a club would be to get the club face closer to the ground when you open it up. Now it has been ages since I have horribly bladed one of those extremely open faced shots, but those memories still lurk at the very forefront of my mind every time I take one.

There is a problem, though. I like to have a lot of bounce on the vast majority of my wedge shots. Even when hitting in tight lie situations, you really gotta be perfect with that wedge to pull off a good shot. The only realistic situation that I can see myself actually using a low bounce club is in very deep rough, and we don't have any of that here in Phoenix.

If I'm looking for a grind, I'd probably be looking for something that is a bit flatter on the heel for those situations. I'm not even sure why one would want to use any other grinds. Heck, I'm not even completely sure why anyone would want the grind that is on an Eidolon club. And that's after reading Terry's sales pitch for years.

I have no idea if I answered your question or not.

MattF

Postby MattF » Wed May 31, 2017 6:11 am

My only advice is to take as much bounce as you can for the courses that you normally play.
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed May 31, 2017 9:20 am

I found it easier in the old bounce days, that I think I understood. I used to have a 58 with low bounce and a 54 with medium bounce and felt like I was covered. My last wedge purchases 2 years ago I bought a Callaway tour grind which I really liked and got comfortable with but there weren't any bounce options. Of course, the tour grind is no longer available so now I am trying to sort through the too many options and none seem to match what I have. To boot, I tried to add a 50 wedge last year with not good results, so I am in decision limbo. I've really liked Callaway wedges but the newer models look different. Thinking maybe Titleist just because. Ping's latest also seems good.

DougE

Postby DougE » Wed May 31, 2017 10:08 am

GBOGEY wrote:I found it easier in the old bounce days, that I think I understood. I used to have a 58 with low bounce and a 54 with medium bounce and felt like I was covered. My last wedge purchases 2 years ago I bought a Callaway tour grind which I really liked and got comfortable with but there weren't any bounce options. Of course, the tour grind is no longer available so now I am trying to sort through the too many options and none seem to match what I have. To boot, I tried to add a 50 wedge last year with not good results, so I am in decision limbo. I've really liked Callaway wedges but the newer models look different. Thinking maybe Titleist just because. Ping's latest also seems good.

Whatever you decide on. getting fit for wedges is probably as important as getting fit for a driver. I would look for manufacturer fitting days in your area. Titleist does a "Titleist Thursdays" fitting event at various places and courses all over the country, where you need to make an appointment, but the fitting is free, with no obligation to buy. Just be sure to be fit using real turf, rough and sand conditions and not off mats.

FYI NJ fittings seem to be in the cities/towns of Marlton and Kenilworth throughout June. Here's a link if you are interested:
https://www.titleist.com/thursdays

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Wed May 31, 2017 11:22 am

Funny, but in between my postings and yours I was browsing the Vokey link you sent me and saw Titleist Thursday, Kenilworth is reasonably close, and signed up for 3 weeks from now. Have a feeling I'm moving to Titleist this year.

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”