Less "borrow"

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Less "borrow"

Postby bkuehn1952 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:50 pm

I detected a tendency to play too much "borrow" or break when putting. I have been consciously reading a putt and then reducing the break I play. It worked really well the past two rounds. Will it last? We shall see. :school
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Less "borrow"

Postby legitimatebeef » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:25 pm

I used to play with a guy, who really stigmatized the low-side miss. "AMATEUR SIDE!!!" "At least you missed on the 'pro' side". That stigma has stuck with me ever since.
insufficient data

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:33 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:I used to play with a guy, who really stigmatized the low-side miss. "AMATEUR SIDE!!!" "At least you missed on the 'pro' side". That stigma has stuck with me ever since.

I am also cognizant of that idea and I suspect it is partially responsible for my reading too much break. Ultimately missing on the pro or amateur side is still a miss.
Let's Play 36

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:38 pm

I've always heard that people tend to read too little break on putts when it breaks away (fade) and read too much break when it draws.

Which basically equates to a lot of putts missing right (for right handed golfer).

bkuehn1952

Postby bkuehn1952 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:05 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:I've always heard that people tend to read too little break on putts when it breaks away (fade) and read too much break when it draws.

Which basically equates to a lot of putts missing right (for right handed golfer).

Interesting. Thanks. I may adjust for this bias next time.
Let's Play 36

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:55 am

There is some science between missing on the high or low side on a putt. Missing on the low side is a complete miss. The ball has no chance to go in. But missing on the high side still gives the ball a chance.

The second part of this, and I have explained this to my nephew numerous times, is that when you miss on the high side, the ball will curl around and sometimes actually get closer to the hole as it rolls out past the hole. If you miss on the low side, every inch the ball rolls takes it a bit farther away from the hole.

If I'm consistently missing on the high side, it usually means I'm consistently two-putting. If I'm missing on the low side, I'm probably taking some three putts.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:50 am

I hate to be the a-hole here but I have seen putts fall in the low side. Generally I subscribe to the Bryank theory though.
insufficient data

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”