Rain and Distance

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Rain and Distance

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:26 pm

It seems logical that a ball struck the same in a steady rain will go less far than a similar strike on a clear day. Water is certainly more dense than water vapor or air. A golf ball being propelled through a rain shower has to meet more resistance. I wonder if anyone has tried to tabulate the effective loss of carry distance.

Another factor at play, perhaps, is the build up of water between the face of the club and the ball. A professional's ball strike might be so fine that little water collects between the face & ball. With a schlub like me, however, my somewhat imprecise strike might make room for a bit of liquid collection.

At any rate, it was instructive to me yesterday how much distance was lost (carry and total) while playing in a fairly steady rain at a water logged course. I had to club up at least a full club to obtain the same carry distance, never mind the -0- roll.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Re: Rain and Distance

Postby Duke of Hazards » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:51 pm

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:51 pm

All mocking aside, there doesn't seem to be any tests completed 'while' raining. So we'll take your -1 club carry rule as dogma.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:All mocking aside, there doesn't seem to be any tests completed 'while' raining. So we'll take your -1 club carry rule as dogma.

You can take my one club and shove it up ... :P
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”