Turning properly

Duke of Hazards

Turning properly

Postby Duke of Hazards » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:50 pm

So I'm having success completing a full turn with the driver, but as I start hitting irons, I can't seem to make get the same swing feeling (full shoulder and hip turn).

What I'm really focusing on is achieving a full hip turn (via the shoulders) with a left knee that kicks in (but not forward), but with a focus on the transition into the downswing, led by the left knee/ upper leg, externally rotating (towards the target) while the club is still at the top, planting and then pushing into the ground, bringing the hips around and the club down through the ball.

With some golfers, you can clearly see it. Tell tale is the left foot and whether it rolls right how much the left knee kicks in. With other golfers, seems like it's more of a combined movement (transition and downswing) without the left leg leading the parade. The video for sure needs to be slowed down to see it.

Golfers that don't seem to do this much: McIlroy, Dustin Johnson

Golfers who do this : Nicklaus, Snead, Hogan, Faldo.

Golfers who do this bigly (external lead leg rotation and hips opening very early (top of backswing)): Palmer, early (1930's) Hogan, John Daly, Bubba Watson, assorted long drivers (Sadlowski, Maurice Allen).

Anyway, I'm working on getting fuller hip turn and trying to ease any tension in my hips at address, and really focusing on the transition and the left knee leading the downswing.

I did get a kick out of this guy. He certainly gets a full hip turn:

GBOGEY

Re: Turning properly

Postby GBOGEY » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:38 am

I read recently where a lot of amateurs (including me) flare the left (lead foot) toward the target and that this often prevents them from making a full turn. So I started squaring my left foot and the results have been dramatically good - really solid hits and good distance. Might want to see if that helps. I know its counter intuitive as flaring is supposed to help, but it works for me.

My driving on the other hand, is increasingly becoming a disaster. I don't know what's wrong, but I have no idea which direction the ball is going to go. It's depressing as the rest of my game is in top notch shape - if I drive okay I'm breaking 80, if I don't I'm above 80 unless my short game pulls off a few miracles. I had such a round yesterday - 3 horrible drives to end the round but made par with a 50 foot putt, bogey with a chip and putt save, and birdie by chipping in after a remarkable 7i to get near the green. I know it doesn't sound bad but its driving me crazy.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:48 am

I know the feeling gbogey. When the driver isn't working, sometimes it takes a miracle. And sometimes a miracle isn't even possible.

Questions I get a lot include stuff like "how they hell did you shoot an 85?"

Two stroke and distance penalties is like adding another hole to the scorecard.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:05 am

Thanks for the tip, Gbogey. I may experiment with stance, since I do keep my rear foot square and my front foot flared. I might try flaring the rear foot just a bit as I've heard this might help. That being said, I think much of my issues have largely to do with grip, posture and tempo. When I setup correctly, the backswing is so simple and matter of fact. It's a simple turn of the left shoulder away from the target at a moderate pace. The focus then is on transition/pivot into the lead foot, but smooth. No herky jerky crap, with a head full of swing thoughts.

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”