Swinging an upside-down club

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Swinging an upside-down club

Postby legitimatebeef » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:23 pm

I've been working on this a lot lately. In the old days (my early extension days) I tried it a few times to no avail. It never felt right, and that's because I was accustomed to using the club improperly.

Now that I am correcting my major swing errors, I am able to achieve a pretty good "whoosh". Without that heavy weight at the end of the stick, it seems that the need for proper sequencing and proper plane are heightened. You can't just fling it through the hitting area all willy nilly. So I feel it is a wonderful training aid when used right.

I used it a few times on the course too, especially with driver. I don't know man, it just feels good, and reassuring.

I'm not really doing it for speed training but the current science seems to favor using lighter-than-normal weighted implements over heavier. When I first started out in golf, I used to warm up on the first tee by grabbing a couple of long irons and swinging them around. :nope I don't know what the orthodoxy says about that but it seems quite wrong to me now, like a good way to fuck up your sequencing and tempo and whatnot.
insufficient data

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Swinging an upside-down club

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:39 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:I'm not really doing it for speed training but the current science seems to favor using lighter-than-normal weighted implements over heavier.

My understanding is that the speed training concept is to use slightly lighter weight, like something that weighs 85% of a normal club. Not excessively light.

But to be honest I've done very little research into this area.

I do agree that I never liked swinging a "heavy club" before a round to stretch. My dad has a small weight that you can add to the shaft of a club to help stretch or something. I used it a couple times and I always hated it. When I got up to the 1st tee after using it the club felt so odd in my hands, and that isn't what you want happening before hitting a shot.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:51 pm

I'll have to try this.

bryan k

Postby bryan k » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:28 pm

They do make training sticks for this, which seems silly since you get the same effect from inverting a club that is already in the bag.

As far as warming up goes, I have a club weight that I use that straps onto the lower part of the club. It has the same effect as holding two clubs except it's easier to hold. I don't ever take a golf swing like that, though. I might take a few baseball swings, and I do a bunch of circles both clockwise and counterclockwise with each arm. I take the weight off before I take a swing, though. It's something I learned from my baseball days.

DougE

Postby DougE » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:52 am

The Orange Whip is the best tempo training aid I have used, though I have considered trying a SpeedStik too. The great thing about the Orange Whip is that it really helps you find a good balance and great tempo, which, when used properly, contributes to better lag.

I had stopped using mine a year or two ago, but started using it again just recently and have noticed my sequencing is usually better off the tee and with all my iron shots. After a short warm up with the Orange Whip before a round on the range, my first swings are short pitch shots with a 54* wedge, using the tempo I just warmed up with. Then I work up to full shots, mid irons, to driver. I must admit, driver is more difficult to maintain tempo than shorter irons, even with the OW. On the course I really have to work to find that same tempo with the driver that I had with the OW on the range. One of these days when the course is empty and I'm playing alone I would like to take the OW onto each driving tee to use for a few swings before my actual tee shot. (I know it is not within the rules to use on the course in an official round.)

I also try to swing it for 20 or 30 swings each day at home to help with ingraining the feeling in my mind. It also helps to loosen up your core for bigger turns. As an older guy, though I can't turn like I used to, I get pretty good rotation and can hold my finish with my chest facing slightly left of the target, without restriction. (One day you younger guys will realize that's a big deal for older golfers....'cause you'll be old!). I believe the Orange Whip helps me with this.

The key to using it and getting the best result is to swing it without adding much arm motion but more core motion. This helps you to see how lag works. When that same tempo is taken to an actual swing at a ball with a club, you will lag the club more without even thinking about it because it happens naturally with a proper tempo.

There are more Orange Whips in the bags of PGA Tour pros than any other training aid out there. I don't think it is a gimmick.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:59 pm

Doug you know that I respect your golf wisdom. So I checked out this tasty-sounding contraption and I am interested. On their website when they talk about people who live in cold climates who want to still practice and stay in golf-shape it felt like they were speaking directly to me. :breaking

Which model do you have? What does it feel like to swing it?
insufficient data

DougE

Postby DougE » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:09 am

I have the full-length one which is best for driver swings, but frankly, it works great for tempo for all clubs. In fact, if you want to hit great chip and pitch shots, use a tempo like the one you use to swing the Orange Whip and you will be amazed at how good it feels to hit proper shots, without rushing like so many people do. People talk about "touch" in the short game. True touch comes from a perfect tempo through the ball. Never AT the ball. The OW can show you what it should feel like, even in a short or partial shot.

It's hard to explain what it feels like to swing. It's heavy, but not like adding weight to the club head with a swing donut. Swing donuts are not really good for swing speed or lag. WIth great lag, a swing donut shouldn't stay where it's resting on the top of the clubhead, but instead would slide down the shaft towards the grip, which is the exact opposite of what they are designed to do. But that's another discussion.

The Orange Whip is very bendy which accentuates the feeling of lag. I don't know for certain, but my guess is that the "swingweight" is similar to that of a driver, maybe D1 or D2, maybe a bit higher, but the overall weight is much, much heavier than any club in your bag. The shaft is very bendy. There is enough weight in the orange ball at the end to easily bend the shaft using the momentum of your core turn. As you turn back in a golf swing, your body gets ahead of the orange ball. By the time you cock your wrists and get to the top of your core turn, the ball is still trying to catch up. Once you have gotten to the top and start down, the ball hasn't reach the top yet. This is where you can really feel the lag. It highlights/exaggerates what a downswing should feel like, with the core starting down before the clubhead reaches its finish. That's hard to feel in fast motion with a real swing with a real club, but with the Orange Whip it is very obvious. If you do it right the lag is in proper sync and you stay in balance throughout the swing. If you were not in proper balance while making the swing, the weight of the OW will pull you over, out of your stance, or if you don't get off your back foot in time, the orange ball will hit the ground.

I feel that if I could swing my driver with the same tempo (not speed) at which I swing the Orange Whip, and hit the center of the clubface everytime, I would hit the ball 20-30 yards further. But, being able to actually swing a club that smoothly when it counts and the fact that you only get one shot at it, well, as we all know is not quite that easy. But the Orange Whip certainly helps to get you closer to an in sync and in tempo swing over time as it slowly ingrains that feeling into your subconscious mind. It certainly has for me, anyway. Even when I start to lose my tempo or syncing during a round, I can just picture the feeling I have when using the OW and can sometimes get it back before I blow the round.

MattF

Postby MattF » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:11 am

If you get one, look at the Sklz Gold Flex version. It' almost identical, does the same thing and is about 1/2 the price.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:18 pm

The Orange Whip was designed by a guy in SC, I met him at the range I (used to) frequent which he is friends with the owner. It seems to help you "slow down" and keep your movements in sync. And yes - the similar Gold one Matt talks about is pretty much identical. They make them in different lengths and flexes.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”