Hybrid Fix

GBOGEY

Hybrid Fix

Postby GBOGEY » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:32 pm

For you who know more about gear than I do. I have a Cobra 3-4 Hybrid that is adjustable from 19-22 degrees. Unfortunately the shaft broke the other day. I looked a little online for a used replacement, and have thought about seeing if Cobra would have a replacement shaft. I really like the club and the 4-5 hybrid that I also use.

The other thing that occurred to me is that I have a 2-3 Hybrid, adjustable from 16-19 degrees, that I never use and won't again. I believe that the shaft is .75 inches longer, but should be the same shaft. So one thought is to adjust the 2-3 Hybrid to 19 degrees and choke up whenever I use it.

My final idea is to unscrew the shaft for the 2-3 and use it for the 3-4 head. It will still be .75 inches too long but I'm not sure if there is any other downside (other than the degree indicator is actually on the shaft - I will have to remember that 17 degrees is really 20 degrees) or reason that this won't work?

DougE

Re: Hybrid Fix

Postby DougE » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:28 pm

If the 2-3 hybrid shaft has the same shaft model exactly as the broken one, you could have the butt end cut down .75" to the length of the 3-4 hybrid and then just re-grip it. It will play a touch stiffer due to the shorter length, but you won't feel it. This should also keep the swingweight the same as it is now. Choking down also affects shaft flex and perceived swingweight.

MattF

Postby MattF » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:16 pm

Doug,

I believe butt cutting doesn't affect shaft stiffness, only tip trimming. When I'm building a club, you tip trim for the stiffness, assemble, then butt cut to length and put on a grip, that's how it's always done.

So, if the shaft for the 2-3 is exactly the same as the 3-4, he could just swap heads and grip down to start. If it's cool, just take off the grip, cut it down by the right amount and re-grip.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Postby DougE » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:48 pm

You are right Matt. It won't be stiffer at the flex point if your trim at the butt, but just because it is a shorter shaft I assumed it might be stiffer, though not really detectable. Yes, I agree, trimming the tip will certainly add stiffness. Choking down will make it feel stiffer IMO as well, depending on how far down you choke. In general, though, I agree with you Matt.

MattF

Postby MattF » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:11 am

:thumbs

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks - I changed out shafts today at the range and I think it works pretty well as long as I choke down.

MattF

Postby MattF » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:51 am

Cool, if you like it and want it to be permanent, get it cut down.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Matt is correct about the stiffness but the change in length will affect the swing weight. Supposedly.

Hit 'em well, GBOGEY!
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”