Replacement shaft

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Replacement shaft

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:15 am

So I'm not familiar with shafts that much. I'm not going to ask you for an opinion on what shaft I should get, as I don't think that is fair to ask anyone who's never really seen my swing. But I'm open to hear thoughts on different shafts if you want to post them.

My question is about the adapter on the shafts. My 3w shaft broke and I'm thinking about sticking a shorter 5w shaft into it. I'm making the assumption that the Titleist SureFit Tour adapter would fit the 3w head even if it is one that came on a 5w shaft. Is that a bad assumption?

Does anyone know for certain if the 3w and 5w club head addaptors are interchangeable? If not maybe I'll just get the 3w shaft and cut it down an inch or so.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Re: Replacement shaft

Post by DougE » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:23 am

Yes they are.

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:12 pm

There you go. Mizuno JPX-EZ is the same for the fairways as well. I would imagine that if it's the same club model, albeit different loft, then all the OEM's would do the same due to cost.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Jason, I don't remember which shaft you have in your 913 3W, but I am guessing it is a Diamana 72 (Blue board), stiff. If so, based on what little I know about your swing, but knowing you have a swing speed over 100 mph based on the distances you have indicated you can drive the ball, I would suggest a more stable shaft, like maybe an Aldila Rogue Black or White in a 70-80g.

I am actually playing a stiff flex Diamana 60 blueboard myself, in my driver. And a 70 blueboard in my 3W and 5W, both R flex. The stiff blueboard is not that stiff. At a fitting, my carry numbers were similar with stiff vs. reg, but my dispersion was better with stiff. So that is what Titleist settled on for me. I did not get fit for my 3W or 5W and just assumed an R shaft would be better for me (before Titleist fit me in a stiff). Now I am not so sure the Diamana, in their R-flex is the right shaft for me in my FWs.

The fact that you have so much more clubhead speed than me, I feel the stiff shaft you have in your 3W would be better suited to me than to you. I just feel that you may want to look at some other options before putting in the same shaft (but from your 5W) to replace the broken one.

Certainly, swing speed is only part of it, but my bet is you would do better with a more stable shaft than any of the lighter weight stiff shafts (between 50-70g) in the Diamana blue or red series. The blueboard is a really great shaft in general, but if you were to be fit and it came out that a Diamana shaft was right for you, my bet would be that it would not be a 60 or 70 blueboard. More likely a whiteboard in 80, and maybe even X Stiff. Pure speculation on my part. That's why you get fit. Your swing is definitely good enough to gain advantage from a good fitting.

Curious, how high are your well struck 3W shots from the fairway? And what do you think would be your most advantageous ball flight with your 3W? With your swing speed, I just think a more stable shaft (like the Rogue---or others) will help you keep the spin down. You probably don't need spin. You have enough swing speed to get the ball up there without help from a light, spin-producing shaft.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:02 am

So to be honest I didn't put a ton of thought into it other than I wanted stiff and 70+ grams. There wasn't a large selection of 5w shafts. Given the prices were low enough I figured if it doesn't work I'll just trade it in and get something else.

I'm sure I would benefit from a fitting, but my plan is to get fit for everything once my swing gets to a place I want as I'm still falling into some old habits and still too flat causing hooks and the occasional shank. But I'm getting much closer. So maybe another year.
Attachments
IMG_20171027_065850.jpg
IMG_20171027_065850.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 778 times

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:42 am

It's a great shaft. I just bet there are some better ones for you. But, since it's the same shaft you have been playing, there should be no surprises.

What setting are you on? If you are struggling with too flat a swing and overcooking a draw, you should probably be on B1, though that will not do much for a pure snap hook. It is .75 flat (more fade bias).

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:17 am

I believe it was on B1.

I set it to a fade bias and the 1 setting. Although I'm more of a "set it & forget it" type of person. So I hadn't touched it in well over a year (since I started drawing/hooking the ball). So I'll have to check when I get home.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:36 am

So I had the settings for my 3w at B2. Now I know why I'm comfortable moving the ball right to left with it lol