The significance of wrist hinge/set/cock

Duke of Hazards

Re: The significance of wrist hinge/set/cock

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:15 am

Some golfers supinate thru impact, others (like Zach Johnson), hold off the release.

I'm not sure that it's possible to pronate through impact. You'd hit the ball with the sole of the club instead of the face.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:15 am
Some golfers supinate thru impact, others (like Zach Johnson), hold off the release.

I'm not sure that it's possible to pronate through impact. You'd hit the ball with the sole of the club instead of the face.
That is typically what happens. Keep in mind that the normal tendency due to the arch of the swing is for the club head to rotate counter-clockwise through the impact zone. Therefore, a player who is pronating through the impact zone is very likely to still have some of that counter-clockwise motion, so it is possible to still hit the ball on the club face.

Ben Hogan explained it far better than I ever could. The interesting part is that now that I have cured the habit, I find it extremely difficult to mimick the behavior. Even so, it probably makes more sense to show rather than tell in this case.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:00 am

The more I examine the wrist action the more I realize it to be the very essence of the swing. Maybe it's different for everyone, I don't know. I am not really seeking out universalities. All good swingers do roughly the same shit at impact, but everyone's sensation is unique. Like snowflakes, no two of them are wholly alike. Similar maybe, but different enough to cause a world of confusion and misunderstanding.

When I stand in an address position, and then waggle the club back and forth via the flexing of the wrists, what might appear as some half-brained, willy-nilly move is actually a defining of the optimal swing plane through impact. That's kind of a big deal.
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:05 pm

I was looking for something on my phone in the notes and found this from six years ago and now I can’t remember the difference

Flexion - Palmar and Dorsi
Deviation - Ulnar and Radial
Rotation - Pronation and Supination
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm