Re: How to start the downswing?

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:37 pm

gravity
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:45 pm

to be fair and provide more of my opinion. What I've noticed in my game if I am thinking about what comes next at this point of the swing, I've already hit a bad shot.

Ideally the golf sing is a trained habit and requires no thought other than your desired result. But if you are forced to think of things, I find it "okish" to think of things before transition. Anything after that point seems to result in issues. All things after the back swing need to be a reaction to what happened in the back swing. If they aren't reactionary it will not result in a good shot.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:44 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:16 pm
your thoughts
With my fingers crossed! :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:57 pm

I see we got a couple of wise guys in here. I was implying more along the lines of "hip" "knee" "arms". In other words from the top of the swing, what is the body part that you want to move first. That sort of thing.

Fish you are the resident downswing/transition thoughts guy. So I was wondering what you are currently using to trigger from the top, or maybe that is your answer: you are trying to eschew any such concepts.
Build a bridge and get over it.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:12 pm

For me, it's a small hip slide/bump to the left, followed by the hip turn (while the slide continues, moving the weight forward). I am completely passive with the arms, I think: they just follow.

A long time ago, before I had any real idea of how to swing, I always started with the arms, but it was a horrendous armsy swing, with the release of the club at the top and over the top of the plane (before I knew the plane even existed?)...
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:24 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:57 pm
Fish you are the resident downswing/transition thoughts guy. So I was wondering what you are currently using to trigger from the top, or maybe that is your answer: you are trying to eschew any such concepts.
So I don't know if I've ever wanted to have a downswing thought. Now in transition I've had thoughts (and still do). But they really shouldn't be there. Preferably I'd only use them when rehearsing swings in slow motion.

My preferred transition/downswing thought would be "ugh, hit ball far" or some other basic instinctual pre-bronze age thought process.

For me to get to a place where I can actually do that, I know my trail elbow MUST be in front of my chest. Once that position is achieved it's a full "hulk smash." Unfortunately there is no real "checkpoint" for that position. So when my elbow isn't in front of my chest it's still hulk smash time, but the result sucks.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:36 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:12 pm
For me, it's a small hip slide/bump to the left, followed by the hip turn (while the slide continues, moving the weight forward). I am completely passive with the arms, I think: they just follow.

A long time ago, before I had any real idea of how to swing, I always started with the arms, but it was a horrendous armsy swing, with the release of the club at the top and over the top of the plane (before I knew the plane even existed?)...
Right now I feel like I am starting with the arms. I am not certain of what is really going on but it feels like the arm movement immediately sets off the hip turn. And, it drops the hands/grip down into a place from where it's not possible to do a big over the top. Maybe it's anatomical, my arms are pretty long, maybe I do not need to ever give my hips any kind of head start.

Build a bridge and get over it.