Putting tempo and putter weight

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Putting tempo and putter weight

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:32 am

So I couldn't find this topic anywhere and wanted to see everyone's thoughts.

If I google "putting tempo" I get a ton of links that talk about having a consistent stroke back & through. Or links on how many beats per minute (BPM) that pros average, etc. I noticed a lot of advice is given to putt with a tempo around 90-110 bpm where you start the back swing on 1st tick, start the downswing on 2nd tick, and impact on 3rd tick. This way you are consistent w/ back swing and down swing (same distance covered over the same time).

Sweet I tried this out at my house, and I felt very rushed with my putter. I finally decided to see what tempo I prefer, and after messing with it I came in around 75 pbm. To me it felt like my putter is way too heavy (~630 grams) to putt with a faster tempo. So I grabbed my old Odyssey white hot #9 that is somewhere around 320ish grams. It felt like a feather, but my tempo naturally got much faster (closer to 90 bpm).

So my question then, does this seem right to you? Do you think putter weight SHOULD affect swing tempo, and if so would it be more appropriate to fit a putter to someones natural tempo instead of saying "here is a Scotty Newport #2, swing it at 90bpm"?

My putting has been much improved since switching to this brick on a stick, and my last 2 rounds I had a total of 59 putts. I haven't had less than 30 putts in a round since I've started tracking the stat 5+ years ago.

So other than making sure my technique doesn't get all wonky, I don't plan to make any changes. I just want to rationalize my quirky behavior with putting.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: Putting tempo and putter weight

Post by DougE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:15 am

For me, putting is all feel. I try to take as much technical stuff out of it. I am a feel player in general. Not only driving and iron play, but putting as well.

I usually have confidence in my ability to read greens. My first career was in art and design. I see nuances that are obvious to me that may not always be apparent to others. I rarely read greens from all sides of the ball. Too much info to process and/or confuse me. I visualize the path of the putt and then I smoothly stroke it. Certainly putter head weight would make a difference in my tempo, but no matter how heavy or light, I feel my senses will adjust subconsciously to any change in weight and will automatically adjust my tempo to react to whatever is needed. I only worry about making a smooth stroke with square-faced contact, without "hitting" at it. This typically results in a smooth roll which sticks to the ground and rolls on line. Very rarely do I get much bouncing of the ball off the face when I putt this way. Tempo speed is not something I need to consciously think about. My subconscious handles that part of it for me.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:25 pm

James Sieckmann talks about putting tempo in his book - you may be able to google some videos, but if I remember there's an acceptable range of tempos and the key is to find where you are comfortable. There's even a drill you can do with a metronome. I'll try to remember to look it up tonight.

BTW - both of his books, particularly the short game book, are gold IMO.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:03 pm

According to the book, most putters have a tempo between 70 and 85 beats per minute. He gives you a drill to figure how your preferred tempo. I don't believe that he would agree on changing tempos for a different putter, but IDK.