Practice Golf at Home thread

bkuehn1952.2

Re: Practice Golf at Home thread

Post by bkuehn1952.2 »

MattF wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:32 am Two sessions on the ST+ yesterday.

First one was about 8am for 2 hours, 220 shots hit.

Second one was about midday for 1 hour, 189 shots hit.

:o
Tedonitis is calling your name.
MattF

Post by MattF »

bkuehn1952.2 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:59 am
MattF wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:32 am Two sessions on the ST+ yesterday.

First one was about 8am for 2 hours, 220 shots hit.

Second one was about midday for 1 hour, 189 shots hit.

:o
Tedonitis is calling your name.
legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef »

Now toying with the idea of building a practice bunker in the backyard. A very small one, essentially just a sandy surface to hit off. In a bowl shape, to offer a complete variety of sloped lies. Does not seem especially feasible though, considering all the sand that would get splashed out constantly. But I'll look into it.
MattF

Post by MattF »

legitimatebeef wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:09 pm Now toying with the idea of building a practice bunker in the backyard. A very small one, essentially just a sandy surface to hit off. In a bowl shape, to offer a complete variety of sloped lies. Does not seem especially feasible though, considering all the sand that would get splashed out constantly. But I'll look into it.
Hope the local cats don't discover it.
legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef »

Picked up this shitty plastic Maxfli ball shagger while I was in a Dick's Sporting Goods. It works alright, but it also feels like it could stop working at any time. The heavier, more traditional aluminum and canvas ball shagger is still the best. However I kind of enjoy the simplicity of lightweight plastic tube. You can't be seen with this one outside the home though.

In any case, practicing at home has been very very effective. I don't do anything bigger than pitching at an 18y target, but it is enough that I can work on numerous general swing fundamentals.
DougE

Post by DougE »

legitimatebeef wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:48 pm Got my shag bag and set of three chipping nets. And now the space is starting to resemble a miniature range. Which to be honest kind of spoils the organic beauty of the yard. But then again they are very portable targets. Easily move or fold up when I get tired of looking at em.

I set them up at 9, 11, 14 yards. They are good targets, they'll take balls on the fly, or you can bounce em in. Which would be good if other people or kids come over and want to have a chip. For myself, I still like the dirty old bucket, tilted up against a rock. More challenging and the loud rattle when you hit it is a nice feedback. In either case I am getting in a bunch of practice out there. When you can sprinkle in a few chips throughout your day, they really add up.
I HAD a set of those chipping nets a few years back, but my dog, for some reason, loved to attack them. She would be let outside and if I was out there chipping, she'd charge the nets and take them down, often running around proudly with the whole damn thing in her mouth! She ruined all my chipping nets. Now I just have the cheap, Home Depot version of alignment rods placed all over my backyard, at which I hit chips and pitches from distances of 5 to 100 yards. She has no interest in those. She's also older. Now, her attitude is, "Yeah, whatever."

By the way, with the exception of my first full 18 hole round two weeks ago, chipping in my yard is the only golf I play these days. But that's another story. As much as I have been absent from this site, I have been absent from the golf course too. Rough year on many levels. Hope to be back out there (and in here again, too) a bit more going forward. Miss you guys.
GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY »

This is like “The Hangover.” We’ve lost Doug and need to get him back.
legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef »

GBOGEY wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:14 am lost DougE and need to get him back.
I would rather watch this movie
legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef »

Being a huge Tiger-tard of course I was inspired by that one-handed chipping video. But I will work on it at the home chipping range before busting it out in public. What is the point of having a golfing idol if not to slavishly copycat their every golfing move.
MattF

Post by MattF »

I may have a cost effective (cheap) solution for having a projector set up for my ST+. It should end up at a cost of less than $500, including a short throw BenQ projector.