Faults & Fixes - Re-Gripping

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Faults & Fixes - Re-Gripping

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:26 am

I will occasionally state that when I am having a tough time I slowly work through my list of "10 Things I Commonly Do Wrong". Once I complete the review of the list, I inevitably find an 11th area of trouble.

In another thread I mentioned my trouble with re-gripping. For those who have never done it, as a right hander one loosens the grip of your left hand about the time you stop your backswing and begin the forward stroke. Typically the club finds a shut position which creates a duck hook and/or poor contact and distance. I have learned to recognize the issue. When it happens I make an exaggerated squeeze of the left hand and then back off the pressure just prior to my swing. Seems to remind that squirrel running around inside my head to hold on to the club all the way through the swing.

Re-gripping is an insidious fault because it happens out of sight and in an fraction of a second. Set-up, grip, take-a-way and swing can all be good but that lessening of grip pressure in the back swing kills everything.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jattruia

Re: Faults & Fixes - Re-Gripping

Post by jattruia » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:55 am

I've battled this issue too. It can just pop out of nowhere, and you can feel it immediately, and it's so hard to stop.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:53 pm

Re-gripping (ie. changing the grips of) your clubs is a good thing! Twice a year, at least...

For this other thing you are talking about, I don't know. I don't do it. I squeeze my 3 bottom fingers of the left hand pretty hard, i.e. not a 10 on a 1-10 scale, but probably a 6-7. The top 2 fingers are extremely light though, maybe 2-3.
I'm gonna go low this time...

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:09 pm

I, too, suffer from this and it wrecks my swing. I seem to do it worse with the Driver, I believe as a result of the different setup (ball further forward in stance, need to lean away from target at address, and from the meatier clubhandle and grip.)

Largely, though, I believe that it has much to do with my tendency to grip the club too weak with my left hand (i.e. 'weak' - as in rotated targetward, not grip pressure) due to my brain incorrectly telling me that (what is actually) neutral is too strong.
Bluto did it

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:33 pm

Yep. My first couple years I was so confused out there on the range, would setup with square club face at address, hit a ball, then put the club back down and it's like 20 degrees shut. Couldn't figure it out. Then I heard of "re-gripping" and I assume that is what caused it. Worked hard to try to re-grip during the swing. Still working on it.

When I played sunday I noticed a golf friend doing it big time right before takeaway. He sets up, then does a forward press and regrips stronger style. I dare not mention it, they already think I'm insane golf swing nerd guy.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:30 am

Now that i think of it, i don't think it's been an issue since i started adding an extra wrap under my grips.

CeeBee
dogs: 1

Post by CeeBee » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:13 am

Older thread here but this is happening now. Affects driver only. Weird. As a lefty I set up with a strong grip. As I approach the top my left hand re grips in a weak grip resulting in an open face thru contact. That is not the only battle I have but it certainly has a significant impact on ball flight.🤬
Tee it up!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:29 am

CeeBee wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:13 am
Older thread here but this is happening now. Affects driver only. Weird. As a lefty I set up with a strong grip. As I approach the top my left hand re grips in a weak grip resulting in an open face thru contact. That is not the only battle I have but it certainly has a significant impact on ball flight.🤬
Have you tried weakening your grip from the beginning? If you're club face is open at impact this will seem counter intuitive. I now tend quickly try the opposite of what should work. It seems like my body knows what the desired end result is and it will act instinctually based on the inputs its receiving. Example if my grip is too weak it knows that I need to close the club face to be "square" at impact. So for me a weak grip normally results in a pull or pull hook as my instincts tend to over react, where as a strong grip tends to be a push fade.
Keep it short stupid.

CeeBee
dogs: 1

Post by CeeBee » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:40 pm

I worked on it at the range today. Strong grip, good coil, right arm straight at the top and bring club thru the hitting zone. A la Zach Johnson. He has a long release. That was working well. Progress.
Tee it up!