Just Keep Swimming

jasonfish11

Re: Keep on Swimming

Postby jasonfish11 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:47 pm

So I had an ah-ha moment when reviewing video last night.

Today at the range the change is allowing me to think of 1 swing thought, all of my other changes that my instructor told me fall into place when I do this (sans keeping my head still). It isn't quite intuitive for me so actually doing it with a ball down there is pretty difficult for me (mentally not physically). But when I do it I hit some of the straightest purest irons I've hit in a LONG time. I have yet to graduate to any woods.

I can do it in 100% of my practice swings, just when you put a ball down it makes my brain deviate and I only made the swing successfully about 10 times out of the large bucket (80 balls). But man those 10 shots :banana . The ball just jumps off the face in such a different way when you hit it square.

Que jinx.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:58 am

So things are coming together.

I'm occasionally sing beautiful shots. My discovery is 100% in the right direction. The downside is my swing is still too long. Everything is beautiful and right where I want it until I get to the top. I go about 3-4 frames too long and those 3-4 frames, my club goes across the line forcing me to steepen the shaft in transition in a valiant attempt to get the club back on plane.

I've tried everything other than a shock collar to shorten my swing. To me it feels like I'm stopping my back swing with my left arm parallel to the ground.

I wonder if I can program a shock collar to buzz every time I go too far, if I could do this I 100% would. I'm so f'ing tired of this, and it causes all of the faults in my transition/downswing.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:15 pm

So here is my death move that forces me to get steep in transition. Same swing moving one frame to the next.

The club moving horizontal towards my head. I think I will see massive benefits if I can stop this.
Attachments
IMG_20170303_120059.jpg
IMG_20170303_120059.jpg (197.36 KiB) Viewed 759 times
IMG_20170303_120038.jpg
IMG_20170303_120038.jpg (168.05 KiB) Viewed 759 times

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:45 pm

Definitely. It's hard to tell because of the shadows, is your left arm bending at all when you go too far, or do you have some very cocked wrists? In a way, I envy you as my backswing is just shy of parallel, and my wrists don't hinge very much. So I have less distance, but don't struggle with what you are. So, on balance, I am not sure...
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:54 pm

My elbow does bend at that same time.

Everything breaks down in that 1 frame. Elbow bends, wrist cups, and I lasso the club up making the shaft vertical.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:44 pm

In that case, your swing thought could be to keep your left arm straight and bow your left wrist, all the way to the top, which won't be as long if you indeed keep your arm straight.

For a while at least, don't think about anything else on the range, until it becomes second nature. I don't think I ever had my left arm bend much, but I did have my wrist cupped for a long time. I eliminated that problem with that one swing thought. Of course, I still sometimes revert to that fault while playing, but for the most part, it's fixed...
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:42 am

Yeah I have tried numerous things. The only one that works is consciously trying to make myself hit a 100 yard 7i. But I can't bring myself to do it for more than 1 or 2 swings, and can never do it with my driver. I think I just need to force myself to hit every 7i that way next week at the range. Ignore how good/bad contact is, ball flight and results. My success/failure should be judged by length of my swing.

Btw here is where my normal practice swing ends. Nearly perfect. From here the club shallows then starts the down swing. Camera angle is identical I just cropped the pics differently.
Attachments
IMG_20170304_073720.jpg
IMG_20170304_073720.jpg (178.88 KiB) Viewed 742 times

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Postby legitimatebeef » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:09 am

jasonfish11 wrote:Yeah I have tried numerous things. The only one that works is consciously trying to make myself hit a 100 yard 7i. But I can't bring myself to do it for more than 1 or 2 swings, and can never do it with my driver. I think I just need to force myself to hit every 7i that way next week at the range. Ignore how good/bad contact is, ball flight and results. My success/failure should be judged by length of my swing.

Red flag! You should swing hard. Ben Hogan said so! And that guy was more precise than anyone.

I am probably in the wrong though. I've heard similar advice--try to hit every shot 75 yards, something like that.

I thought you had tamed the long swing a while back.
insufficient data

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:45 am

I didn't say I wasn't swinging hard. I vary my distances with wedges by shortening my swing. Once my backswing stops I still go full out at the ball.

I 100% agree with you that swinging soft is a terrible idea.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:17 pm

I keep laughing. If we ever play together you'll understand why. Telling me to not swing softly is funny. I go hard after everything 100% aggression with my swing.

My dad one time told me my chipping looked like I was swinging hard.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:27 am

legitimatebeef wrote:Fish, I am sure I asked this before but why are you trying to shorten your backswing? And don't say consistency.

Beef, I think you might have saved my sanity.

After going to the range yesterday and trying to shorten my swing yet again. I saw on video I failed miserably.

Extreme frustration set in. So after working 11.5 hours yesterday I get home and can't sleep because my mind went back to the golf swing.

I was thinking of your question. Why do I want to shorten my swing? Look at the video and it's obvious my arms/wrist fold up because it is too long and its causing me to fight to get everything square again.

So then I ask the other question. Why do I think it is too long?
My first answer was: I've been swinging super long for 27 years and trying to reverse that is like trying to unlearn some type of a priori knowledge.

This is the hypothesis I've been going with for the last 6 weeks. And it hasn't worked. So while hearing Einstein screaming at me that I'm an idiot if I go to the range tomorrow with this hypothesis, I decided to think of other solutions to that question.

The next one that came to mind was: My swing is long because my body is smarter than I am. It knows my swing needs to be longer in order to hit the ball right.

So I went with that thought and figured lets spend 1 range session assuming that is my answer. My next question was. How can I shorten my swing (so my arms/wrist don't collapse) at the same time I lengthen my swing so my body gets what it needs. What if I rotate my hips and chest more? Will that give my body the longer swing yet allow me to control my arms better? Fuck it, what's 1 wasted day on the range.

So I went to the range and I started smoking the ball. Dead straight about 10 yards longer than my "short swing" from the last 6 weeks. Every ball was so pure.

My driver wasn't hitting the center of the face, so I made 1 more change. I chocked up 1" a la Rickey Fowler, Jimmy Walker, Sergio Garcia. Boom instantly started flushing my drives off the center of the face. Again they were just bombs.

I hit an entire bucket this way. Went to my car and looked at the video. My club is stopping before my arms/wrists fold up.

I hate making conclusions after 1 range session, but this is the most excited I've been in the last 6 months.

So my conclusion of my swing being too long was entirely wrong, and my body spent 6 weeks telling me this before I'd listen. I feel like a complete moron.

MattF

Postby MattF » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:09 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
So my conclusion of my swing being too long was entirely wrong, and my body spent 6 weeks telling me this before I'd listen. I feel like a complete moron.

Sometimes we have to be stupid before we get smart. :thumbs
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:22 pm

I'm always skeptical of the a-ha moment in golf. I don't believe it's real. It's like a mirage.
insufficient data

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:28 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:I'm always skeptical of the a-ha moment in golf. I don't believe it's real. It's like a mirage.

I am too.

Which is why I said I hate making conclusions after 1 range session.

But I can't really put in words the difference between today's ball striking and the last 6 weeks. I hit more quality shots today, than I did combined over the last 6 weeks.

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:56 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:Which is why I said I hate making conclusions after 1 range session.

But I can't really put in words the difference between today's ball striking and the last 6 weeks. I hit more quality shots today, than I did combined over the last 6 weeks.

My last session was good too, don't know why. We will see if if translates to the course Saturday. I'm excited to find out and play actual golf again though.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 am

So I have been hitting the ball really well recently. I haven't taken a video of my swing because I don't want to make small changes 1 week before going to play w/ my dad and friend.

But my swing thought is aimed at keeping my body from falling back right before impact. I'm trying to feel like I'm putting my face through the ball into the ground at impact. I'm not sure if that describes it well, but I'm basically focused on "covering" the ball better (I hate using cliche golf terms).

I'm curious how this affects my head movement in my swing as I'm not focused on keeping my head still, I'm just focused on keeping it down once it drops and not pulling up/back.

This has really turned around my iron game and my driving is much straighter. I do hit the occasional hozzle rocket but it isn't frequent enough that I'm massively concerned w/ the new thought.

Also I've started really draining a TON of putts inside 10'. I noticed my swing was way too arched and causing me to have the face open or closed on shorter putts. So I really concentrated on putting straight back straight through on shorter putts and the ball is just starting exactly where I want every time.

Probably shouldn't have posted this before going to play golf with my friend who I've dubbed my "personal foil" but what the hell, bring on the curse.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:18 am

I'll be taking some video tomorrow, but I'm really hoping to see a swing that stops short of parallel.

I've been really focusing on keeping everything extremely short. Every time I feel like I keep my swing much shorter than parallel I actually hit the ball further than I have in the past. It is now becoming more noticeable when my swing gets too long than when it is too short, which I guess is a good thing.

I'm really interested in my head movement (specially on irons). I've been focusing on "covering" the ball as I said above and I'm curious how this affects my head movement I have in above swings.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:29 am

Still longer than I would like. I'm kind of surprised my swing feels really short. Think I'm going to get some video of a 70 yard sw (normally hit it 90) as that is the swing I'm trying to replicate with all clubs.

Head movement has drastically reduced when I look at slow mo.

Anywho.

Dr fo

7i fo

Dr dtl

7i dtl

jasonfish11

Re: Just Keep Swimming

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:50 pm

So Game golf has some new analytics.

I've been working a lot on my ball striking, which has become pretty apparent in these analytics. But my short game has suffered due to lack of time focusing on it.

So much so that here are my GIR% from various yardage groups over my last 5 rounds.
150+ yards - 55%
101-150 yards - 50%
<101 yards - 47%

Lol the closer I get to the hole the harder it is for me to find the green.

To be honest I've noticed this over the last couple of rounds. My wedge game is awful. My ball striking has gotten much better which in turn has made my distance control with my wedges terrible, I'm flying a lot of greens with wedges. Example last round I tried to hit a 3/4 sand wedge to a hole that was tucked back right and 92 yards away. I flew the f'ing green (went 105 yards). Another one I was trying to do the same from 83 yards and wound up hitting it 107 yards. So a lot of my short wedge misses have been long due to improved swing and a better strike. I just need to find a range near me with a lot of 40-100 yard targets and just spend 1-2 practice sessions hitting 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots to get a better grip on my distance control.

I just thought the stat looked funny.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu May 04, 2017 5:22 pm

I notice I have trust issues with wedge shots, because I am so inconsistent. Seems like the wedges have their own special way of exposing full swing flaws. I never knew if I am going to get a low flying missile or a weak balloon. I tend to swing hard at everything expecting the weak balloon.
insufficient data

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:27 pm

So since coming back from messing up my ankle (f' you pine cone). I've worked on keeping my head still.

I haven't video'ed my swing to make sure I AM doing it. I'm just trying to feel like I'm really tall in my down swing. This obviously resulted in me not being able to hit the ground with the club. But I started really concentrating on firing my trail elbow at the ball right after transition (like skipping a rock on a lake), then fully extending my trail arm at impact and man when I do those things the ball sounds so different coming off my club face.

I actually had the guy next to me say he's never heard a ball come off the club face like that before.

I proceeded to top the next 2 balls lol.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:36 am

So I'm really trying to figure out how to adjust my practice regimen. I currently have no set plan when I'm heading to the course in the mornings. Given I have 45 min or so I feel like having something specific to work on would go a long way to improving my game. So I think this is what I'll do.

Mon: Play 4 holes (Putting drills if the course is busy)
Tue: Chipping and putting
Wed: Wedge Wednesday? Focus on wedges on the range and chipping (mentally play 3 holes w/ the last 6-7 balls)
Thur: Range, focus on driver irons (mentally play 3 holes w/ the last 6-7 balls). 15 min of putting
Friday: Play 4 holes (Putting drills if the course is busy)

The mental 3 holes is something I always do at the end of a bucket of balls. I just need to rotate those 3 holes consistently. I'm always starting at hole 1, which might be why holes 1 and 2 seem so simple to me on the course.

I also feel this should be malleable depending which part of my game sucks the most recently and weather, it might get too hot to walk 4 holes or hit a bucket before work soon.

I picked Mon & Fri for playing 4 holes because the course has a women's group on Tuesday, a Sr group on Wednesday and Thursday. So Mon & Fri are least busy.

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:11 am

So I have to confess. I've messed up and taken a step backwards.

I didn't put my swing on video since April. What I saw last week made me feel like I wasted 6 months. Supper shallow and long back swing.

So I took maybe 1,000 slow motion swings in the last week concentrating on making my backswing more vertical and getting to a good position at the top. I noticed it is not physically possible (for me) to over swing when I have a vertical backswing. Also when I was taking some video of practice swings and noticed that my body still wants to shallow the club in transition. It really reminded me of a semi-Sergio type transition. The club on the down swing was much shallower than when my backswing was flatter and longer.

So I've been hitting balls on the range the last couple days and I was hitting them pretty well, except I was hitting a push cut. This told me the club path was down the line but the face was open at impact. I messed with some different things to see how to fix this issue. Then I remembered that I have always had a slight "sliding" of the hips towards the target in transition. Given it is noticeable to me at full speed, that means it's probably too much "bump." So I started concentrating on rotating instead of sliding and boom, it turned into a tiny baby fade that started straight on line.

2 range sessions obviously isn't something I'm going to hang my hat on. But this feels so much better and consistent than what I've been doing the last couple months. I'm going to get this on video soon so I can take a closer look.

Also I really have to commit to putting my swing on video monthly to prevent this step backwards from happening again.

Return to “The Golf Technique Forum”