2017 PGA TOUR thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: 2017 PGA TOUR thread

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:55 am

He is killing it in more ways than one. He is a) crushing the competition, as well as 2) squashing what little fan interest in senior citizen men's pro golf remains in the world.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:25 pm

Breaking: the PGA Championship will move to a May date starting next year.

Huge shakeup to the status quo. What will become of "Glory's Last Cum-shot"? That was such a big part of this tournament's identity.
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:53 pm

I had a pair of tickets to PGA Championship practice round tomorrow. But, can't go due to work. :thumbdown
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:17 pm

Got more passes for PGA Championship tomorrow -- again can't go :fuckall

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:27 pm

POTUS's buddy Jim Herman currently leads the PGA Championship.

I honestly want to see him win. Fuck everything, it's all turned to shit anyways. Let us wallow in it at least. What would be the most profane outcome to this event? Trump's buddy winning a major championship and then Trump trying to make it all about himself of course! What an awesomely gross spectacle that would be. A lot of you threw your presidential election vote away just because you "wanted to see liberals lose their shit" well now I would like to join the party and go full retard as well. I would rather see a bunch of people get pissed off than to see any kind of positive outcome.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Sergio reportedly got all snippy in his press conference when someone asked about Kenny G performing at Sergio's wedding. Jesus, it's your own wedding. If Kenny G is going to be such an embarrassment then don't have him there. You made the choice, at least stand behind it you clown.
insufficient data

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:44 pm

Sergio wouldn't be Sergio if he didn't get all whiny and sullen every now and then.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:44 pm

Or maybe trouble in paradise already. :bawl Maybe I am the ghoul here but I am usually suspicious of people who come at everyone with their "We are so in love."
insufficient data

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 pm

That could very well be.

BTW, the PGA Championship app sucks. Even their stupid app plays 4th fiddle to the other majors.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Postby bkuehn1952 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Rain delay... yawn.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:26 am

Kisner looks like a damn redneck spitting all over the place

Duke of Hazards

Postby Duke of Hazards » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:21 am

jfurr wrote:Kisner looks like a damn redneck spitting all over the place

Nah. That's just folksy South Carolina charm.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Matsuyama is a funny guy. After shooting 61 to win last week he was like "I felt anxious all day because my swing was off." Then he said coming into this week he felt like his form was going backwards. I can't wait to hear what he has to say about his game after he wins the PGA Championship today.
insufficient data

jfurr

Postby jfurr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:37 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
jfurr wrote:Kisner looks like a damn redneck spitting all over the place

Nah. That's just folksy South Carolina charm.

:fuckall the other guy that was also spitting a bunch on TV a few years back was Lucas Glover (also from SC)...

jasonfish11

Postby jasonfish11 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:02 am

So with FSU football starting up in a day I'm glad to see the pga tour has concluded just in time.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:14 pm

Sergio has pledged to donate X dollars for every birdie and Y dollars for every eagle he makes in the Fedex, towards Hurricane Harvey relief.

It strikes me as so weird to make a game out of this. Don't give me no crap about raising awareness. It's not like Harvey relief is some obscure cause that needs publicity. Kinda everyone knows what's going on down there. I think people like Sergio mean well but are massively out of touch. Fortunately most of the public don't see it this way, and to them it'll just be further evidence of how pro golfers are such "class acts" and how "they" are "better" than "us".
insufficient data

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:35 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:Sergio has pledged to donate X dollars for every birdie and Y dollars for every eagle he makes in the Fedex, towards Hurricane Harvey relief.

It strikes me as so weird to make a game out of this. Don't give me no crap about raising awareness. It's not like Harvey relief is some obscure cause that needs publicity. Kinda everyone knows what's going on down there. I think people like Sergio mean well but are massively out of touch. Fortunately most of the public don't see it this way, and to them it'll just be further evidence of how pro golfers are such "class acts" and how "they" are "better" than "us".

Not just Sergio, but a bunch of them. And typically Y (for eagles) = 2 * X (for birdies). Why not just give $100K, or $200K or whatever? I guess they figure how many birdies and eagles they typically get (say 20 birdies and 2 eagles over 4 days), how much they are willing to give and arrive at the typical numbers X and Y, which they make public. However, the player real motivation is to win the tournament, which requires more birdies and eagles than typical, so the victims will benefit too. It's not evil, ... not really.
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:06 pm

sjduffers wrote:
legitimatebeef wrote:Sergio has pledged to donate X dollars for every birdie and Y dollars for every eagle he makes in the Fedex, towards Hurricane Harvey relief.

Not just Sergio, but a bunch of them. And typically Y (for eagles) = 2 * X (for birdies). Why not just give $100K, or $200K or whatever? I guess they figure how many birdies and eagles they typically get (say 20 birdies and 2 eagles over 4 days), how much they are willing to give and arrive at the typical numbers X and Y, which they make public. However, the player real motivation is to win the tournament, which requires more birdies and eagles than typical, so the victims will benefit too. It's not evil, ... not really.

I am just trying to understand the purpose of making a game out of it vis a vis making a contribution of one's own deciding. Yes it potentially brings more interest and eyeballs to the PGA TOUR product, and the Sergio Garcia product, but isn't that somewhat inappropriate, to exploit a disaster/tragedy for such purposes?

Are famous people purporting to stimulate others--both other famous people, and their own followers--into donating by making a big show of their own? Or could Sergio be trying to motivate himself to play better golf? Like maybe he has a tendency to mail it in, and by doing this, he assuredly won't?

If he has a bad round, like he did yesterday, making only one birdie, should he feel bad about it? I assume he tried his best. But if he does feel bad, should he then augment the donation by some amount and where might that line be drawn? Let's say one day he catches fire and shoots 59. Should he then feel extra good about his charitability? As I said this seems like such a complicated emotional contraption to set up for one's self. You have a bad day at work, and now you have guilt because according to these rules you set up, the suffering are going to receive less help. It puts pressure on the player... but perhaps taking on this kind of pressure, it's the player's way of placing a hardship or a burden on himself?

I hope you all can see what I am getting at. Actions like this are not straightforward.
insufficient data

legitimatebeef

Postby legitimatebeef » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:08 pm

And what about how he goes about playing golf? Because in terms of charity, whether he makes a par or a bogey is irrelevant. Should he play more aggressive and pursue birdies at all costs even if it brings bogeys into the picture? That is at odds with tournament stroke play golf mentality, but it would probably result in the needy getting more help.

WTF
insufficient data

srogers13

Postby srogers13 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:40 pm

I think a lot of them announce this more with the idea that others (sponsors, fans) will also donate (pledge) based off how many birdies and eagles they make. It also is more than likely that he is also donating more money that he is not making public. If he announced he was donating x amount outright, others might not be inclined to contribute.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:42 pm

All good points, Beef. I'm sure they (Sergio and all the others) haven't really thought this through completely. But it is patterned after what some consumers companies do in such instances: e.g., one $1 of each bottle of so-and-so sale will go to this-and-that cause... (up to a maximum of X, usually written in very small print). The fact that it incentivizes sales in that case doesn't really translate in the world of sports.

Maybe the players are more motivated to do well this way (but what if they can't, despite their best effort?), and are they normally not trying as hard? Well, perhaps for those that hardly ever make it into the top 10, and are happy to earn a multi-million dollar annual payout just for making the cut regularly?...

GBOGEY

Postby GBOGEY » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:24 am

I think the guys doing this have good intentions. If you do the math, for 16 rounds of the playoffs some of these guys could be on the hook for $50-100k, not chump change but obviously when the make the coin they make easily affordable. Stacy Lewis' donation was more impressive - her entire check. Kudos to her sponsor for matching as well. Of course, this magnifies the differences between PGA and LPGA - Stacy won $193k, DJ won $1.5M last week.

DougE

Postby DougE » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:40 pm

GBOGEY wrote:Stacy Lewis' donation was more impressive - her entire check. Kudos to her sponsor for matching as well. Of course, this magnifies the differences between PGA and LPGA - Stacy won $193k, DJ won $1.5M last week.

That's the way you show your true compassion. $193K is a lot of money on the LPGA Tour. To Stacy, it is huge. She could have finished 50th and ended up making/donating far less. Or even worse. But, as luck (and good play) would have it, she put it all out there and won. She deserves to be recognized for her desire to give her entire pay check, no matter how much it turned out to be. Not that those PGA Tour players shouldn't also get credit for their generosity, but I feel like Stacy's commitment to the cause gets lost because she plays on the lesser tour and not as many know what she did. IMO, her donation is much more of a hit on her financially, than the donations of those on the PGA Tour are to them. But ALL of them should be acknowledged for trying to help.

Great job Stacy, both in winning the event and giving all your winnings to help out Houston. And kudos to KPMG for their support of her and Houston.

sjduffers

Postby sjduffers » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:30 pm

DougE wrote:Great job Stacy, both in winning the event and giving all your winnings to help out Houston. And kudos to KPMG for their support of her and Houston.

:thumbs

Return to “Golf on TV Forum”