The Tiger Thread

DougE

Re: The Tiger Thread

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:08 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:17 pm

I wouldn't try to change anyone's mind but I can attest I actually enjoy watching Tiger get around the course more so than any other player. The guy is super intense, also he will take on shots that garden variety tour players won't, even in his current decrepit state. He is an artful shotmaker in general, always trying to draw up a perfect shot for every different situation. So I am interested to watch every shot, no matter the score. Maybe it's retarded but there are people in the audience who want to see that sort of thing I guess, I don't think it's just the networks trying to cram stuff down throats. Even if he were to start playing totally average tour level golf I think I would still be interested on just on account of past glories, sad but true.

I don't think coverage of Tiger ever overshadows the leaders of a tournament, it just makes the window smaller for the whole rest of the field. I.e. the rest of the field has to play better to get on the TV than when Tiger's not in the tournament. It's not like there are that many all-time greats active in the game, so I feel its ok when this happens. Besides that, even at his peak Tiger sat out way more PGA Tour events than he played. So there's always been plenty of opportunities to watch Tiger-free pro golf on tv.
I, too, enjoy watching Tiger. And I really want to see him succeed. After watching him for so many years stand head and shoulders against the number 2-1000+ players in the world, it's nice to see him use his years of experience to show the new boys that even at 42, he is still able to kick your ass when he has even half of his old skills working. A reminder that today's guys are good, but Tiger was soooo much better at his peak.

And I don't believe, as Jattruia suggests, that it may be time to move on. He beat Phil this past weekend and no one is suggesting he move on, even though he is 5 or 6 years older than Tiger. The thing is, when Phil or Tiger or Freddie Couples or a 58 year old Tom Watson at the Open a few years back, all great players in their day, can compete head to head with the young guns, and stay with--or be--one of the leaders, that is great entertainment for me. Maybe it's cause I'm old and I want to see Tiger give these new guys a glimpse of what they would have had to deal with back then. Or maybe it's because I feel most Tiger-haters/dis-likers really don't understand what he did for the game or how much better he was than the world at the game.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:18 pm

I think for me, expectations need to be tempered. He sprays his driver all over California this weekend and it's amazing that he is 'finally pain free and free swinging,' yada-yada-yada...then he stiffs a 6i on a par 3 and the O faces come out and 'Tiger is back; the field should head home now!' (obvious exaggeration).

Sure he can hang, and maybe he'll win every major for the next 5 years. Cool. But realistically I don't think he'll beat many of these guys going forward. Sure, no one is calling for Phil to hang it up, but no one really expects him to win much either. And reading all the commentary here, yes he DID (past tense) a ton for the sport, he WAS amazing and almost unbeatable, and he WAS so much better at his peak. I get it, no one is arguing that he was one of the best. I'm arguing that the Tiger of old is probably gone. And i don't mean 'move on' like he needs to retire this week, but 'move-on' from getting a rise in the levis whenever he commits to a tourney. In that sense, we have all moved on from Phil.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:21 pm

It's ok to love Tiger and want to watch his every swing, but come on, it's also OK to appreciate what he did and look forward to the guys that will chase his legacy.

We all have our favorites, but to me, seeing Anthony Kim come back to compete on the PGA would be exponentially more exciting! (Only slightly sarcastic here...)

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:37 pm

The difference with Tiger is that he's used to winning.

Some of these other clowns are so afraid to win that they fall apart. Look at Jamie Donaldson in Dubai, shot a 62 in the first round, leading heading into the weekend, then shoots a 75 on Saturday when the rest of the field is still beating up the course, scoring in the 60's.

All these guys are phenomenal golfers and might beat Tiger head to head at some local muni, but put the heat lamps on em on the weekend with the pre-round press and the crowds and the victory on the line on Sunday and they wilt like little bitches.

I think even with an average game (compared to the field), his mental edge is going to give him some wins.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:42 pm

jattruia wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:21 pm
We all have our favorites, but to me, seeing Anthony Kim come back to compete on the PGA would be exponentially more exciting! (Only slightly sarcastic here...)
How many more years does he have to wait before he would not have to pay back that insurance money?
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Maybe it's a generational thing. Not sure how Beef fits into that theory. (He's not a Baby Boomer.) I know I would rather watch Tiger's limited 2018 skills and abilites today, shot after shot, than a John Senden or Brendan Steele, or Kyle Stanley, or some other generic Tour player having one good week here or there. (No disrepect to the aforementioned players intended.)

I also really enjoy watching today's stars of the PGA and LPGA, too. There are some real good ones out there.

When Tiger is playing, I will be watching. I have a feeling there are enough people like me out there who feel similarly. Why else would Golf Channel AND the networks spend so much time showing his every swing? If enough people hated Tiger coverage, it would show up in the ratings. The networks know what they are doing.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:29 pm

I would rather watch Tiger play than JB Holmes think.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:01 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 pm
Maybe it's a generational thing. Not sure how Beef fits into that theory. (He's not a Baby Boomer.) I know I would rather watch Tiger's limited 2018 skills and abilites today, shot after shot, than a John Senden or Brendan Steele, or Kyle Stanley, or some other generic Tour player having one good week here or there. (No disrepect to the aforementioned players intended.)
Screw the generic ones, on a Friday I'd rather watch Tiger's shots when he's hovering around the cut line than watch Rickie, Day, DJ, or Rory who are around the lead.

On a Sunday if Tiger is mid pack his coverage will naturally end when the leaders start to become interesting. And if Tiger is near the lead even better.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:26 pm

I knew i was in the minority, but never thought the guys on tour were that terrible to watch. I’ll bow out now and quietly root for the guys with human names. Besides Bubba, I’d never root for him. F him.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:54 pm

The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:02 pm

We got any stats post multiple back surgeries?

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:46 am

jattruia wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:02 pm
We got any stats post multiple back surgeries?
We sure do.

Cuts made: 1
Official money: 59,685
FedEx Cup points: 35
The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:52 am

jattruia wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:26 pm
Besides Bubba, I’d never root for him. F him.
I have no choice but to root for Bubba Watson as the only elite player in the modern game to make it without a coach. In today's environment that is truly exceptional. Okay so his personality seems questionable but come on. Are we really watching golf for the personalities. Jesus Christ, no. We watch golf because we also play golf, IMO.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:09 am

I don't mind Bubba. He can be an ass at times, but for the most part I respect what he has been able to do without ever taking lessons or having a dedicated coach. Some of the shots he manufactures are amazing. Reminiscent of some of the stuff Tiger was able to pull off in his hey day. Also, I like the fact that he gets emotional, both mad and sad. He's rough around the edges as well. He may not be the most polished guy out there, but I like his what-you-see-is-what-you-get personality. Evidently, he is one of the least liked guys in the clubhouse. Maybe because he doesn't fit the mold. Who knows.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:18 am

Pretty sure he's the least liked guy in the clubhouse because he seems to be a real asshole; just my guess though.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:05 am

jattruia wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:26 pm
I knew i was in the minority, but never thought the guys on tour were that terrible to watch. I’ll bow out now and quietly root for the guys with human names.
Root for whoever, don't ever hold back on account of anyone here. Me and Doug might be gay for Tiger but so what. About the rest of the tour being terrible to watch, I think that's just business as usual in the world of TV golf. As I keep harping about, I feel that TV golf is inherently boring. It has a lot more working against it than other TV sports do. I only started watching golf on account of Tiger so it's natural that a tard like me would find regular tour golf kind of boring. I am like a kid who eats candy all day. Get those vegetables out of my face.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Fans of Real Golf everywhere rejoice. Rough going for the Woodman in round 1. Then again nobody, not even DougE, believed he would cruise around Riviera.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Watching Tiger talk to media after round 2 of Honder. Looks and sounds like he is feeling pretty good. Pretty pretty good. In other words he seems confident, optimistic even and a Tiger Woods who believes he can win... who would bet against that guy? It's not delusions either--he can still hit the shots. Still has upper echelon distance (184 ball speed today :facepalm ) Still has the short game. Still has the putter. The guys on tour today are great but they are not invincible. Again, gotta go back to the Ted Potter principle. If that guy can do it, then maybe Tiger can too.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:29 pm

He was playing real golf today, not golf swing. Scrambling, grinding, bouncing back, all of it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:36 pm

On a very difficult course no less.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Followed him on the Twitter Tiger Tracker. He may be for real. I'm watching intently with high hopes. Not just for the Honda Classic, but going forward.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:13 pm

What I'm mostly intrigued by right now is the Tiger Mood Meter being almost pinned. The dude seems very happy for some reason. Maybe it's some sort of happy pills but then maybe it's also a feeling of satisfaction with where his game is and how it is progressing. He certainly appears to be "going after it" on the course, taking on big time shots. He had some really nasty short side flop situations late in round 3 and he didn't always get em up and down but he is attacking all the shots with some serious intent and zero hesitation. He looks like he believes he can get everything up and down.

DougE I agree there. Just the thought of Tiger mixing it up at Augusta, even if he falls flat on his face, is exciting. This may not be an easy pill to swallow but I think Tiger being at the next major with his game in good shape is going to make things exponentially more fun for EVERYONE even the haters critics.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:15 am

Ok feelings are nice and all but let's talk some fuckin' FACTS. Tiger Woods'ses's clubhead was measured this weekend at well over 120 (miles per hour). That's pretty fuckin' fast, Jack. He hasn't swung this fast in several years. I'm not going to pretend like I know what any of means for the future, but I'd say it's more promising than anything else.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:41 am

I heard on the weekend he hit 128mph.

In the last 5 years on the PGA tour I believe that would be top 10 for any individual drive for each year (and top 5 on a couple years). I think it would be 3rd for the current year.

I really feel like this is great for him for now. I'm no bio-mechanics expert but I can't imagine him being able to swing at those speeds for 10 more years with out other major injuries, specially given that his back and left leg are essentially Frankenstein monster. I really hope I'm wrong though.
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:07 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:41 am
I'm no bio-mechanics expert but I can't imagine him being able to swing at those speeds for 10 more years with out other major injuries
Everyone who swings that fast is going to either hurt or wear out something eventually no? Nicklaus destroyed his hip. You don't even have to be a super fast swinger even. Guys like Trevino and Lanny Wadkins have both needed to be fused as well.

In the present day it's hard to imagine Justin Thomas not blowing something out sooner or later. He throws his whole body at it probably harder than anyone out there. In Tiger's case at least he doesn't appear to be splitting nutsack too badly lately. What we are seeing now is a reminder that the guy is just naturally fast. It's almost as if he has, like, a special talent for swinging a club, or something.