2018 PGA Tour Thread

DougE
dogs: 1

2018 PGA Tour Thread

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:16 am

Finally. 6pm today. Kapalua. Tournament of Champions. Plantation Course. Golf Channel. I can watch some live golf and see some beautiful, warm scenery. Just in time for the weather mess the Atlantic Seaboard and New England is about to get. Blizzard conditions with near-hurricane force winds possible near Cape Cod. Great weekend to hunker down and watch golf from Hawaii (assuming you don't lose power.)

I'm curious to see how Dustin, Jordan, Justin and Rickie do. They have been all over social media lately partying up a storm. Didn't get the indication that keeping their game sharp was at the top of the list last month. Though I still wouldn't be surprised to see any or all of them around the top of the leaderboard, I'm feeling Hideki Matsuyama or John Ram might be guys to watch for. It's a limited field. Only 34 players. I don't care, I am just happy to have something golf-related to do this weekend.

legitimatebeef

Re: 2018 PGA Tour Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 am

Whoa! This comes as a pretty big surprise. Been so far up my own butt that I had more or less completely forgotten about the existence of the PGA Tour. I'm glad it's back. Don't have any shits to give about who wins or whatever but it will be nice to look at some live golf in primetime.
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 am

Ooops, jumped the gun. Today's only Wednesday. Was thinking it was Thursday. Have to wait another day to watch golf.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:57 pm

:lolz
A golfball wizard's

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Like Doug, I overestimated my enthusiasm. Straight up forgot to tune in. I was even sitting in front of tube at one point last night thinking, "Hmm, wish there was something interesting on." Sad! I am officially one of the casual viewers who can only be counted on when Tiger Woods is hacking it around. Oh well, guess my time as a hardcore fan of pro golf has come to an end. Gonna miss all the perks that came along with it. Oh wait a minute, there were no perks whatsoever.

Now that I think about it, other sports are rife with all kind of "Fan Appreciation" promotions and shit. But never once seen the PGA Tour do anything remotely like that. Instead, the home PGA Tour viewer is generally viewed with contempt by both the players and the powers that be. According to them, the home viewer is, and I quote, the shut-in loser who has nothing better to do than watch golf on TV with a magnifying glass, ready to call in (as if there is some kind of goddamn hotline to call in for such things, I been watching golf on tv for over a decade, I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to who or where to call if even if I did witness a violation) and fuck with the outcome of the tournament. (end quote)

So, on second thought: F the PGA Tour :facepalm
A golfball wizard's

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Yawn, zzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:03 pm

So JFish, if you haven't been watching Kapalua, your buddy Mark Leishman warmed up for this event at Top Golf in Virginia Beach. Evidently, he racked up some pretty good numbers on the leaderboard while he was there, while at the same time trying to lay low. He said the guy next to him recognized him. Do you go to this TopGolf?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:08 pm

I haven't been in a year or so. But my son loves it.

I'm amazed he "practiced" there. The golf balls go about 10 yards shorter than normal balls.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:34 pm

Maybe when I get skytraks. I should tweet at him that he can come use my indoor simulator, for a few tips that is.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:15 pm

I tried but watching these people mince about in the warm Hawaiian sun didn't make me feel better about my winter misery, it made me feel worse. As soon as the commentary zoned in on, as it is wont to do, Rickie Fowler and his aloha shirts I realized it was just the same old shit in a brand new year. Once again they turn one of Rickie's outfit choices into this major thing, taking great pains to point out Look, there is the line of propriety, and oh look! There is Rickie, a little off to the side of it, oh my! Pushing the boundaries but remaining oh-so respectful of the game. :puke REALLY? THIS CRAP YET AGAIN?

<click>
A golfball wizard's

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Tiger committed to Riviera. I've attended the past several years, usually on a weekend, but I'm contemplating going on a Thurs or Fri this year, to possibly follow Tiger without the weekend crowds (and who knows if he'll make the cut there.)

I've been at tourneys with Tiger before, and it's generally a nightmare to follow his group.

Of course, I'm sure that 10 million other a-holes have had this same idea, and it's going to be jam packed on Thurs or Fri.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Sack up man, it's Tiger Woods. That guy is good! (or was good depending on whose side you're on) Plus this is a special tournament in that it is one of the very few missing jewels in the dude's crown. If you were to make the (short) list of shit that Tiger has NOT accomplished in golf, Riviera is right there near the top.
A golfball wizard's

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Alright, I'm gonna do it!!!

Thanks for the pump, man.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Just checking in to say that I am watching way more of the NBA's product :puke than the PGA Tour's lately. I'm waking up to the realization that golf is not that great of a TV show.

A golfball wizard's

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:56 pm

So I'm attending not one but two days of some Riviera golf! Ha! I'm gonna buy me some boat shoes, smoke a cigar and sport like 9 popped collars. I will not be out-douchebro'd.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Tried tuning into the tournament and got tricked into watching "Golf Central" starring Brandel Chamblee. Today it strikes me as especially ridiculous, a parody of clueless first worldism. Golf Channel and Brandel need to wake up and realize that there are serious life and death problems in the world. Brandel sitting there with his brow all furrowed like he's reporting on a war or something. I think this guy has outstayed his appeal and at this point contributes practically nothing to the world. He fills up airtime, I suppose that is useful.

Just so that these are not hollow criticisms I will again point to the pro tennis world. The people who broadcast and provide commentary for tennis are superenthusiastic about tennis, while not taking it too serious. It's lighthearted and spirited, not heavy-handed and ponderous.
A golfball wizard's

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:25 pm

Brandel Chamblee fancies himself the Skip Bayless of the Golf Channel. And I got no use for Skip Bayless.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 am

A golfball wizard's

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:18 pm

How did that go on for so long??

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:22 pm

Yeah he should have been tazed well before he started "break dancing"
Keep it short stupid.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:49 pm

I think even he was surprised he was still out there.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:02 pm

I'm glad it went on that long. Probably makes me stupid but I laughed my ass off, especially when he started doing golf swings. He is going to jail either way and it's not hurting anybody, so let the naked guy get his money's worth is what I say. If it was during the tournament proper I bet the Man would've snuffed it out a whole lot quicker though.

I like that it seems spontaneous. Unlike most streakers at sports events this guy had no message or cause to promote. Probably just a very drunk guy :lolz
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Reminds me of an old buddy of mine who took his clothes off at just about every party he went to once he got drunk (which happened at just about every party he attended). If any of our regular crowd would arrive late to any party that we knew he was at, someone in the group would inevitably ask, "Did Wayne take his clothes off yet?" That was the barometer as to whether or not any party was in full swing, or just getting started. Those were the days.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:48 pm

Oh man I just read it took them over 5 min for security to stop him. That's terrible, JB Holmes could have laid up in that amount of time.

But I agree with Beef. Let the man have his 15 seconds (or 5 min) before hauling him off to jail.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:01 am

Was watching the replay of round 3 this morning while getting ready. I don't mean to disparage these guys, I mean they are great players, but sometimes it seems like all the PGA tour is a bunch of guys hitting wedge shots and trying to make putts. It seems like they almost never hit anything longer than a 9i, at least this week.

Good reminders from the telecast today: 1) Bryson De has studied golf balls and determined that in a place like Phoenix the ball flies 10 yards further at the end of a warm day than the beginning - need to remember this although probably not as extreme in our climes; 2) Never aim where a straight ball gets you in trouble - this is a big problem for me -taking it to the course.