WTF did you shoot today?

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: WTF did you shoot today?

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:17 pm

Nice job BK. Let me be the first to offer you a hearty "yay".
A golfball wizard's
got such a supple wrist-cock

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:16 pm

2nd very nice
This is not burger king you can not have it your way.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:42 pm

:thumbs

Golf. Such an unpredictable game. One day you play like a 20 handicap, the next, a 2. I like the latter more, but the former is the one that's a lot easier to emulate. Good job BK.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Nice Round BK. I haven't had time to report similar but different results. After struggling through several early season rounds with nothing good happening with my game I had my first round to post last Saturday. A very respectable 78 which was much better than it looks. My putting was very off and cost me 3+ strokes so with a normal putting game it would have been a very very good round.

Then as I Doug hinted, I was stupid. Thinking that I'd played well that I could do it again I went out on Sunday and shot an 83. Unfortunately, this round was far worse than it sounds as I was playing most holes for bogey. And I basically picked up my 2nd putt regardless of whether I was in gimme range or not, so it might have been 85+. No idea what the difference in the two days was.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri May 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Went out to Dyker yesterday knowing it would be packed. Guess enough time had passed since my last round and I needed to get the minimum fix. Hit it pretty crappy but managed to keep it to +3 on the front. Continued to hit it like crap on the back as conditions got tougher. Made only one par, had to grind hard just to make bogey on a couple holes. Finally I fell apart on the last hole. Hit not one but two provisionals off the tee, and three-putted for double bogey. The ending is probably why I feel so disgusted about the whole thing.

I played with two other singles, one neutral and the other this congenitally annoying, low intelligence person. When people were putting, no matter where he was he would go stand behind the hole. To give just one example of many annoying behaviors. Both guys sucked down beers all day to add to the indignity of it all. NYC golf has always been very low class, but as I become older, and more refined :banana it's getting harder to take. On a hot day, NYC golf course is a literal hell. An 18 hell-hole round of golf. :lolz
A golfball wizard's

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat May 05, 2018 8:51 am

I know, I know, it looks like another long story, but it's not really about me:

43/39. Four 3-putts and four lip-outs from over 10 feet. So, an uninspiring 82, or so it sounds.

Now factor in that we were paired with a twosome who, between them, LOST PROBABLY 2-3 DOZEN BALLS DURING THE ROUND! No kidding. Seriously. Literally. It was un-freaking-believable! Try keeping a rhythm during a fiasco like that. By the end of the first tee shot of the day, they were 4 balls lighter. Breakfast ball, lunch ball, dinner ball, all off the first tee for both of them. 6 balls short by the time we walked off the green. But it got much worse from there.

I won't go into the whole round (which, if you weren't actually playing the round, it might have been entertaining throughout), but I have to tell you about the 2nd hole.

These two bozos both hit their drives barely across a forced-carry ravine, way down low at the base of the steep upslope on the other side of the ravine, about 40 yards short of the fairway. When we got to our balls in the fairway, we couldn't see them. So we hit. We wait for them to come up into view. Nothing. So, we drive to the green and wait. Still can't see them or any balls that they may have hit. We wait further. Nothing. So, again, we putt out, still waiting. Still no sight of them. There are guys waiting on the 2nd tee.. We have no idea where our twosome has gone. Did they quit, realizing they were outta their league? WTF? We get in our cart and wait some more. Guys on the 2nd tee are still waiting. So I run back to a point where I can look over the edge and into the ravine and I see two guys walking up the steep hill with bags on their backs and an empty cart backed into the 6-8 foot high weeds, cabbage and wetland area, where the ravine bottom is just not navigable. It's all hazard and unplayable. 4-wheelers can't easily get there. But, these guys found a way to slide down the steep hill rising up to the fairway, into the hazard. No way to push it out by hand. None.

So, they never finished the 2nd hole. The cart stayed in the junk and the pro shop sent out another cart. By this point---2 holes into the round---they are down 8 balls and one Worthington Manor cart.

The rest of the round wasn't much better. On the 18th, one of the guys hit 4 balls off the tee. (One of which he didn't lose because he barely touched it with the underside of the club. It ended up about 1 foot from the tee) He finally gave up. The shot requires going through a chute of trees before it reaches a playable position of any sort. (In addition to the chute, it is a forced carry through the chute of about 160 yards or so.) It eventually became apparent to him that he did not have that shot in his bag. He ended up placing a ball in the fairway. The other guy made three attempts.

It was a very frustrating day trying to stay in any sort of rhythm. We'd hit our tee shots, then wait until they finally got one out there. Then get to our balls and wait again, while they dribbled shots up to where we were. Then we would hit our approach shots and drive up to the green where would would wait again, for 3 or 4 shots each from them, until they got to the green. It was excruciating. So, for me, walking away with a respectable 82 and no charges filed against me for assault was a success.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat May 05, 2018 11:17 am

DougE wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:51 am
I know, I know, it looks like another long story, but it's not really about me:

43/39. Four 3-putts and four lip-outs from over 10 feet. So, an uninspiring 82, or so it sounds.

Now factor in that we were paired with a twosome who, between them, LOST PROBABLY 2-3 DOZEN BALLS DURING THE ROUND! No kidding. Seriously. Literally. It was un-freaking-believable! Try keeping a rhythm during a fiasco like that. By the end of the first tee shot of the day, they were 4 balls lighter. Breakfast ball, lunch ball, dinner ball, all off the first tee for both of them. 6 balls short by the time we walked off the green. But it got much worse from there.

I won't go into the whole round (which, if you weren't actually playing the round, it might have been entertaining throughout), but I have to tell you about the 2nd hole.

These two bozos both hit their drives barely across a forced-carry ravine, way down low at the base of the steep upslope on the other side of the ravine, about 40 yards short of the fairway. When we got to our balls in the fairway, we couldn't see them. So we hit. We wait for them to come up into view. Nothing. So, we drive to the green and wait. Still can't see them or any balls that they may have hit. We wait further. Nothing. So, again, we putt out, still waiting. Still no sight of them. There are guys waiting on the 2nd tee.. We have no idea where our twosome has gone. Did they quit, realizing they were outta their league? WTF? We get in our cart and wait some more. Guys on the 2nd tee are still waiting. So I run back to a point where I can look over the edge and into the ravine and I see two guys walking up the steep hill with bags on their backs and an empty cart backed into the 6-8 foot high weeds, cabbage and wetland area, where the ravine bottom is just not navigable. It's all hazard and unplayable. 4-wheelers can't easily get there. But, these guys found a way to slide down the steep hill rising up to the fairway, into the hazard. No way to push it out by hand. None.

So, they never finished the 2nd hole. The cart stayed in the junk and the pro shop sent out another cart. By this point---2 holes into the round---they are down 8 balls and one Worthington Manor cart.

The rest of the round wasn't much better. On the 18th, one of the guys hit 4 balls off the tee. (One of which he didn't lose because he barely touched it with the underside of the club. It ended up about 1 foot from the tee) He finally gave up. The shot requires going through a chute of trees before it reaches a playable position of any sort. (In addition to the chute, it is a forced carry through the chute of about 160 yards or so.) It eventually became apparent to him that he did not have that shot in his bag. He ended up placing a ball in the fairway. The other guy made three attempts.

It was a very frustrating day trying to stay in any sort of rhythm. We'd hit our tee shots, then wait until they finally got one out there. Then get to our balls and wait again, while they dribbled shots up to where we were. Then we would hit our approach shots and drive up to the green where would would wait again, for 3 or 4 shots each from them, until they got to the green. It was excruciating. So, for me, walking away with a respectable 82 and no charges filed against me for assault was a success.
Welcome to peak season everyone. :banana
A golfball wizard's

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat May 05, 2018 1:21 pm

I have to say, I LOLed at your second hole story, Doug.That was a clusterf*ck if there ever was one! I also admire your ability to shoot 82 in those circumstances: I clearly wouldn't be able to keep my cool. Wow!
I'm gonna go low this time...

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:46 pm

OK, shot a hohum 88 with a differential of 12.0 at RTJ Cambrian Ridge. But I do sympathise with what Tiger said was his problem yesterday; the greens were firm (never really left a ball mark), could not really stop a ball on an approach shot, then the greens were running slow. I left a lot of putts short, and/or they just would not break (my playing partner was getting a lot of good reads off of my putts.)
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:49 am

DougE wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 8:51 am
---2 holes into the round---they are down 8 balls and one Worthington Manor cart.
This may have to be the opening line of the novel I am writing in my head. :thumbs

We have all had the misfortune of playing with bozos, but I must admit, none quite achieved the level of bozoness that your two friends did. I tip my cap to you Doug, I would have been in the bar after two holes.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon May 07, 2018 5:50 am

Chopped out a 94 to start the season here in Ohio. Solidish 44 on the back.

https://dashboard.golfpadgps.com/round/RKMFFVRD#1
Throw me another ball will ya!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon May 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Great story Doug, and although there is clearly some comedic value to the 2nd hole fiasco, I'm betting that you lament your decision to walk back to the ravine after exiting the 2nd green. You could've been free and clear!

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon May 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 2:32 pm
Great story Doug, and although there is clearly some comedic value to the 2nd hole fiasco, I'm betting that you lament your decision to walk back to the ravine after exiting the 2nd green. You could've been free and clear!
I'm sure once they got a new cart, they would have hunted us down and made things even more miserable for the rest of the round. They'd surely be pissed that we just left them out there without attempting to see what happened to them. As it was, we didn't really help them, or even try. In fact, we only helped them look for their third or fourth tee shots that actually made it across the forced carry on the FIRST hole. (They weren't found.) Then when they hit their next shots off line and into more deep shit, neither me nor my partner made any effort to look for their balls again. (We were already on the green, realizing we were in for a long day, with no desire to spend half the round looking for their balls.)

I'm guessing there was some interesting conversation going on in their NEW cart about our disinterest in their woes, and/or inaction in their plight to get their cart out of the head-height weeds in the wetlands.

I laugh to myself when I picture Beef in my position. Can only imagine HIS reaction/response. I think those two guys should be happy they were with us and not him!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 am

Went and played putt putt with the wife and son yesterday.

My son made 3 hole in 1's on 16, 17 and 18. I proceeded to ask for a paternity test.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon May 14, 2018 12:38 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 am
Went and played putt putt with the wife and son yesterday.

My son made 3 hole in 1's on 16, 17 and 18. I proceeded to ask for a paternity test.
:lolz
Throw me another ball will ya!

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm

Played a 4 person scramble today. On and off we got through 9 holes after it was decided to shorten it to a 9 hole tournament. Played 3-4 of those holes in massive rain. We won with a score of -7.

After 5 holes it was decided to shorten it to 9. We were offered to "par out" if we wanted to turn in the card. We elected to wait and teed off about 20 min later. Get to our 6th green and it opens up and pours.

I said f' it I have 2 Mulligan's let me hit the putt 3 times then we'll head in and take the pars. I proceed to roll in the 45' putt on the first try.

Everyone rejoiced then decided to just play on. We birdied 2 of the next 3 and took the win. On e of which was a 6' birdie putt through a mini river. 2 people left it shot. I hit it like it was 20' and it barely fell in the front.

Far and away the worst weather I've ever played in.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun May 20, 2018 11:45 am

93 at Neshanic Valley yesterday. It rained and misted just about the entire time and I saw about three people across the entire 27 hole course.

One of the most picturesque courses I've ever played. It is situated on opposing sides of a bucolic valley. They say Ballyowen is the nicest course in Jersey and it is pretty nice but Neshanic feels like more of a real golfer's course and not just some monument to upscale resort-style gratification. I would go back, and I would even pay the full rack rate and not give a shit. It is pretty fancy, but it's still a county course so the rates are not completely ass-violation level.
A golfball wizard's

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun May 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Wow - that's down in my neighborhood - the Beef was nearby. Neshanic is the flagship course of Somerset County where I live. The other 4 courses are good for muni's, but Neshanic is special.

My last two trips to the Ballyowen / Wild Turkey area were both 5.5 hour rounds. I vowed never again. If I want to play a really good course, I'll just do Neshanic. It's 30 minutes closer, cheaper, and worst case the rounds are 4.5 hours.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon May 21, 2018 10:26 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:37 pm
Wow - that's down in my neighborhood - the Beef was nearby. Neshanic is the flagship course of Somerset County where I live. The other 4 courses are good for muni's, but Neshanic is special.

My last two trips to the Ballyowen / Wild Turkey area were both 5.5 hour rounds. I vowed never again. If I want to play a really good course, I'll just do Neshanic. It's 30 minutes closer, cheaper, and worst case the rounds are 4.5 hours.
That's right, Beefster stinkin' up Somerset with his city-stank. Lovely area around the course, and as such feels more like Pennsylvania than NJ. Too bad you are leaving! I really enjoyed Neshanic. Played Ridge and Meadow. Can't wait to get back, glad to hear about the pace of play.

Surprised about Crystal Springs. I assumed that the high green fees kept the slow play down. I've done Ballyowen and Wild Turk once apiece and breezed through both. Then again there was aeration and/or gale force winds on those days. Given the choice I say Neshanic is a no-brainer. Their rates top out at 85 bucks. IMO a better deal than stupid Bethpage Black.
A golfball wizard's

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon May 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Wild Turkey and Ballyowen are packed on the weekends even with the high rates. I think it is mostly people from in and around the city who don't have much access to golf and to them those rates aren't crazy and given the ride to get there they're willing to spend 5 hours on a round. I haven't played there during the week in years, but yes, I certainly think Neshanic is better than Wild Turkey and on par with Ballyowen so given how much cheaper it is a no brainer. One of the things I like about Somerset County is that the average golfer during prime times is a more regular player - don't know why compared to other places but it seems to be so - so while most rounds take 4:10-4:20 during busy times, going over 4:30 is a rare event.

If you are willing to out that far you should definitely explore Quail Brook and Spooky Brook - both quality county courses that are almost always in pretty good condition. My favorite is Warrenbrook but lot of people don't like it - it's tight and a little quirky.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 am

Played 4 holes before work today.

On the first 2 holes I could barely hit the golf ball. I hit a drive that was <100 yards. I shanked a pitch. I missed twice into the giant red X's that I'd mark on those holes. These are the 2 easy holes of the 4 hole rotation (heck probably the 2 easiest on the course). My expectation is to be E or -1 through those 2 holes, anything worse is a let down. I went double (no penalty), double (1 penalty).

Needless to say I was super confident in my swing when I got to the tee box of the 205 yard par 3 into the wind. The pin is tucked in the back lobe and going long is a big no-no. So I figured into the wind I can hit a nice smooth 4i and be safe. I hit it exactly like I wanted, and watched it carry the flag :facepalm. Oh well don't get mad over a good shot. I get to the ball it's basically the worst chip possible. Major down hill lie with a steep up slope in front of the green and the pin is 3-4 paces on. So I "putted" a 7i down the slope into the up slope onto the green leaving myself 6'. I was super proud of pulling this shot off. Then I drained the putt.

The next hole I hit a good drive but too far right to go for it in 2. Laid up to the perfect spot, and had 108 into the wind. I decided to hit the 115 yard SW I've been working on in order to get rid of my GW. I hit it perfect and it landed about 110 yards and spun back to 18" for a tap in birdie.

The first 2 holes I played like a 20+ handicap. The next 2 I am not sure I could have executed the shots I had in my head any better. Stupid game.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:03 pm

www.gamegolf.com/player/jasonfish11/round/2184115

Shot 87. Really poor irons and some bad/tough chipping. They were repairing the areas around many of the greens so I had to fly chips onto the greens which were firm and fast. So lots of flop were attempted when I didn't want to hit that shot. Sure I could have moved it so the ground under repair wasn't in my line but I was lazy and it hurt my score probably by 2-4 shots?

Something happened to me today that's never happened. Our group while coming off the 8th green got asked to speed up. We were 1 hour 30 min into our round at the time, and were told we were falling behind the group a head. We were a 4-some and the group a head was a 2-some. We teed off when they were on the 1st green and they were finishing 9 when we were finishing 8.

I stopped in the club house after 9 to get some water. I pointed out to the "marshal" that we finished 9 holes as a 4-some in 1 hour and 40 min. I said "If that is too slow you all probably want to just shut the doors now, for a 4 ball that is lightning...I appreciate the effort, as I don't like 5 hour rounds but please make sure it's warranted."

In reality we teed off 3-5 min late because one of the guys in our group was in the parking lot at our tee time and the 1:40 time was from our tee time, not from when we actually let balls fly.

I love this course but the people who work there are extremely rude. Earlier when I checked in at the pro shop I said I was a single and didn't have a tee time, but was hoping I could get paired with a 2 or 3-some. The guy audibly sighed and said "I'm pretty packed this morning, I guess I could put you with the 2 some have at 7:12." I responded with "I would have gladly made a tee time, but you all wont take tee times for singles."

This has grown to be my favorite course in the area, and it's 5 min (or 4 drivers) from my house. I just don't know if I can keep giving them my money. I'm going to email the owner about the above, this is a pretty common occurrence (confronted with rude people in the clubhouse).

And for those reconciling the 4-some and sticking me with a 2-some, there was another walk on single that got put with us.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon May 28, 2018 1:28 pm

It's a problem that I see in my future home. Even though the public courses there are clearly struggling and tee sheets are wide open, many won't accept tee times for singles. Makes no sense. It's also an area where many more people ride than walk which given the favorable weather is another puzzler. I'm sure I'm spoiled because my current county has such good public courses and the golfers are generally regular and acknowledgeable, but this is going to be different.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon May 28, 2018 10:52 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:03 pm
www.gamegolf.com/player/jasonfish11/round/2184115

I love this course but the people who work there are extremely rude. Earlier when I checked in at the pro shop I said I was a single and didn't have a tee time, but was hoping I could get paired with a 2 or 3-some. The guy audibly sighed and said "I'm pretty packed this morning, I guess I could put you with the 2 some have at 7:12." I responded with "I would have gladly made a tee time, but you all wont take tee times for singles."

This has grown to be my favorite course in the area, and it's 5 min (or 4 drivers) from my house. I just don't know if I can keep giving them my money. I'm going to email the owner about the above, this is a pretty common occurrence (confronted with rude people in the clubhouse).
I absolutely would write a letter to the owners. They should know about how their course is being presented by those who are the face of it. I would open the letter saying something along the lines of:

"Rather than posting negative reviews all over the internet about the poor attitude and lack of positive communication skills of some workers in the pro shop and out on the course, I thought it best to first write to you in case you are not aware of this issue. Maybe some internal discussions with the problem staff could properly rectify this outwardly unfriendly behavior going forward, before I or my friends return again. Hopefully, next time, we'd encounter a more pleasant, welcoming staff, in which case, posting negative reviews would not be necessary.....

Golf is a service business. Poor service and bad attitude should never be tolerated when you are paying good money. Call them out. Sometimes those in the pro shop or other golf service employees forget that the only reason they have a job there is because golfers pay to play.

As far as being asked to pick up the pace, unless you were falling way behind, a foursome should not be expected to keep up with the twosome ahead, unless that twosome is waiting for the group in front of them on every shot. Otherwise, a twosome should gain a little on your group on every hole, eventually creating a large enough gap in front of you to allow the group behind you to pay through if you are actually too slow. That's just common sense. And, what the hell is the starter doing sending a twosome out on a busy holiday early morning (after a foursome)? That's poor management, and your unlucky foursome was being used as a scapegoat. The only twosome out there at that time of day on a busy weekend or holiday should be the first group off, or at least before the first foursome tees off.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon May 28, 2018 11:52 pm

I scored my best round ever today: 71 on a par 70 course that is fairly straightforward but with some tricky greens. I played from the back tees (6200 yards) as usual here, with 3 birdies and 4 bogeys: I only hit 7 greens in regulation but made 7 of 11 up and downs, and needed only 26 putts (10 1-putts). The short game was pretty damn good, for me.

It's a shame I can't post it, as I played the first 14 holes by myself before I caught up with the group ahead that had started about 45 minutes earlier than me. I walked this relatively hilly terrain in 3 hours and 15 minutes, and 90+F heat.

I felt tired afterwords, but good! :banana
I'm gonna go low this time...