Poison Ivy - What would you do?

Tournament. Your ball lies in poison ivy. You are wearing shorts. Punch out or take an unplayable?

Walk in, punch out and wash my legs at the turn.
20%
Walk in, punch out and hope for the best
No votes
Take an unplayable
20%
Depends on if I am in contention
40%
Something else (please explain)
20%

Total votes: 5

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Poison Ivy - What would you do?

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:03 pm

During the last day of our City Golf Championship one of my playing group hit an errant shot into the edge of the forest. The ball was playable and getting it out in the fairway in a nice position was very possible. In fact I was close by and did exactly that. His problem was he was wearing shorts and his stance would be in poison ivy.

He opted to take an unplayable. I am not sure what I would have done. Neither of us were in contention and that may have swayed his decision. I think I might have gingerly walked in, hit and then tried to wash off the poison ivy "oil" at the turn (we were on the 9th hole). If I had my rain pants in the bag, I would have put those on and then wash them later. Tough call. I recently had a bought with poison ivy and it is not something I want to do again real soon so maybe I take a drop.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

srogers13

Re: Poison Ivy - What would you do?

Post by srogers13 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:37 pm

Is poison ivy considered a dangerous condition, like say an alligator or fire ants? He might get free relief. And if there was a question like that, could he have played two balls to finish the hole (under each relief option, free drop and unplayable) and then ask the rules committee at the end of the round?
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Per the decision 1-4/11 in the current rules.

No poison ivy is not a "dangerous condition."
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:37 pm
Is poison ivy considered a dangerous condition, like say an alligator or fire ants? He might get free relief. And if there was a question like that, could he have played two balls to finish the hole (under each relief option, free drop and unplayable) and then ask the rules committee at the end of the round?
Good thoughts. He could have played 2 balls. Unfortunately, the USGA has already published a Decision that confirms poison ivy is not subject to relief under the "dangerous conditions" relief Rule.
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:06 pm

I wonder how many Board Members of the USGA have gotten poison ivy rashes from playing golf in the past 20 years. Many of the exclusive private clubs likely would not tolerate poison ivy growing along the course. I can imagine Augusta National taking flamethrowers to any encroaching ivy.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:09 pm

In 30ish years of hitting balls into the woods and going to look for them, I've never gotten poison ivy. This conversation makes me wonder if I'm immune to it? About 15% of people have little to no reaction at all. Maybe I'm in the lucky few?

Cue poison ivy on my next trip to the trees.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:50 pm

I've never been in it either so I don't know what I'd do. Probably unplayable. If your ball is in poison ivy you probably missed your target by a lot, so karmically this is the proper thing to do.
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:48 pm

If the ivy was just like ground cover and I was actually playing well, I think I might have taken the Nike thermal arm sleeves I keep in my bag and tried to slip them over my ankles and up my calves as high as I could get them before stepping into the stuff. Then pray I don't send the oils of the ivy all over the place when I come through it with my club. That stuff is nasty when you get it. Just went through a dose of steroids to get rid of my last bout of it last month. Not from golf, but yard work.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 pm

I've gotten it once, playing golf and it's not fun. It would definitely be an unplayable for me, assuming 2 club lengths is enough relief. Going inline with the flag usually doesn't work in this situation: it only gets you deeper in the woods...
I'm gonna go low this time...

jev

Post by jev » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:19 am

We don't have that stuff over here but I understand it's quite nasty. I'ld definetely take an unplayable. Even if that means going back to where I hit the ball from to begin with.
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:56 pm

jev wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:19 am
We don't have that stuff over here...
I'll send you a packet of seeds. The birds eat the berries and spread it all over so soon you will enjoy the same conditions.
Let's Play 36

jev

Post by jev » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:14 am

I guess those would be stopped at customs, so please make sure they are packed as something innocent like weed or something :lol:
90% of the game is mental, the other half is all in your head (Yogi)