N.B.A.

Duke of Hazards

Re: N.B.A.

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Based purely on my own observation, I do truly believe that he's uniquely talented in that he that he has great court vision and passing ability and he's big (hence the Magic comparisons, although he has mountains ahead of him before he ever approaches that status). I would rate his shooting as below average and his ball handling is average-ish. He can penetrate a bit and find the open guy every time, but if there's no one there to finish, then his skills are wasted. Like I said, with the garbage Lakers, he looks sub-par. If he was on the Warriors, he might look a lot better since they have shooters.

Maybe he will be a big disappointment in the end, I don't know. There's been plenty of unique talents that have fizzled in all sports. Takes other ingredients (desire, will, work ethic, etc) to make it pan out. Does he have it? Don't know. He looks sort of bored sometimes. But he has called himself out on it so at least there's some self-awareness there. He's in the middle of his 2nd yr in the NBA. I guess we'll know soon enough if he's a bust.

Regarding Lakers fans, I'm not sure. I've only recently started following the Lakers (I love GSW too, since they were the first team I followed when I started watching hoops back in the 90's) and were my home team then. You'd know about Lakers fandom more than I would. I know that some of them might come off a bit douchey, being scoreboard/rings pointers or something, but otherwise the sports fans in general here seem lass rabid than other places, at least to me, likely because there's so much other shit going on.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:52 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm
Like I said, with the garbage Lakers, he looks sub-par. If he was on the Warriors, he might look a lot better since they have shooters.
Hot take. :facepalm My point here being that, is there a player in the world who wouldn't be better as a member of a great team rather than a middling one? I guess it's all just that stupid thing known as "confirmation bias", we all do it. We convince ourselves of a certain player's greatness, and henceforth become very difficult to reason with. I am the same way. Maybe not with Lonzo Ball per se, but more talking about people like 5-time Masters Champion Tiger, or Roger Federer. Like Lonzo, these guys are human, have some flaws in their games and don't actually win all the time. But we have a tendency to see everything they do as special. So in short, Lonzo just needs to join up with the current-day lineup of the Warriors, fix his jump shot, fix his free throw shot, learn how to finish at the rim, and boom--he's right up there with the greats.
Build a bridge and get over it.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am

As I noted in my post prior, he has 'one' special talent (court vision/passing) and he has a slight physical gift in size. I think he has more talent than most of the players on the Lakers (which isn't saying much).

Also, we could argue on and on about him and not accomplish anything. Most of his supporters are regular Laker watchers and see all the intangible stuff that happens when he's on the floor, the pick up in defensive intensity, the increase in ball movement on the team, etc. Most of his detractors look at his stats sheet and scratch their head.

I hope you will watch more Laker ball (there's a lot of games upcoming). He's actually a pretty likeable dude, plays good team ball and keeps his yapper shut. His dad's an epic blowhard, I agree, but Lonzo himself seems ok.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:10 am

Like I said, to my ignorant eye he looks like a 2nd stringer. There are so many better PG's in the NBA. You ever heard of James Harden? Stephen "Steph" Curry? You don't even have to go that high up. Even compared to his other similar age guards, he's not that good. Yeah I have seen some nice assists but overall I feel that when you factor in the shooting, and the free throw shooting, he is a very incomplete player. He is a massive overhype, let's face it. If Lonzo Ball had no reality show, a normal (non sociopathic) dad and was on some small market team roster, and as the exact same player he is right now, he would be unknown, and likely fearing for his job.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:14 am

Also I wouldn't say likeable. He knocked up his girlfriend and then dumped her soon as the baby came out. She called him a deadbeat. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, either way that is not a good look. Also what is with the fake ghetto accent. The kid is from the suburbs in Southern California. So stupid. :facepalm

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:58 pm

I am guessing that all but like, two, three of us have no idea about this conversation. What the heck is Lonzoball? They must be wondering.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Trust me though, you are not missing anything. Consider yourself lucky.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 pm

I am aware, I just don't care. Ever since I moved away from Orlando, I just have not cared to watch the NBA. I miss the glory days of Shaq and Penny and 3D and Nick the Quick.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:57 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 pm
I am aware, I just don't care.
I'm a baseball guy. Always have been, so I don't care about this thread either. Was never into basketball. Well, never the NBA. I do watch some college games during March Madness and I admit, I kinda enjoy it. But I don't follow it otherwise.

Now, if you wanna start a baseball thread, I'll read and contribute. You wanna know the starting lineup of the 1962 New York Yankees or Los Angeles Dodgers, I can pop that out off the top of my head. Or, the 1969 or '86 Mets? I can do the same. The Knicks? I know they are in the NBA. Harlem Globtrotters? I know they are NOT in the NBA. I suppose I know some of the big names from the 70s and 80s, like Magic and Kareem, Jerry West, Walt Frazier, and a few from the 90s and 2000s, like Michael Jordan and LeBron James. And, if I'm not mistaken, I think the LA Lakers suck....again. I probably picked that up from late night show hosts making fun of them. Not much else I can contribute to this thread. (Okay, maybe I know a little more than I am letting on regarding the NBA, but certainly not enough to insert myself into the discussion here.) So, I'll see you all over in the golf threads.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:59 pm

This will probably shock you, but I am aware of Lonzo Ball thanks to SNL and it's Lavar Ball impression! :)

In truth, I don't follow basketball much (and certainly can't play it), except that in the last few year, I have watched the Warriors' post season and now keep an eye on them and LeBron, without watching any games until the post season, but looking at game recaps etc, on the local news.
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Curry is probably the greatest basketball player of all time. Any one of us, if born with Lebron James physique, would at least be able to score a minimum NBA contract, I believe. Look at most of the 7+ foot centers in the league, most of them are oafs and not particularly skillful. Lebron is supremely talented don't get me wrong, but he (and most other basketball greats) was born with a huge advantage. Curry wasn't but he still achieves greatness, by being the best at shooting which is of course the most important skill in basketball.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:48 pm

That was a great game last night. I root for G-State, but feel a little bad for teams like the Pelicans. Had it been any other team, they would've won. Their star had a solid outing, they were pouring it in from everywhere, and yet they still got outgunned down the stretch.

Watching last night's game, vs Lakers/Bulls was night/day.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:00 pm

What no Big Baller gloating? The Sad Lakers looked great last night. Helped immensely that OK played crappy obviously, but this was a real good game esp. for L. Ball. I hate to say this but he looked like a different guy in that OT. I am afraid now, that it was a real confidence booster and stepping stone. It was an all around team effort though. Unreal shooting by current day Laker standards. Really hope Houston and GS cut these guys down a notch or two.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:24 am

Now that I been watching closely the Sad Lakers appear to be coalescing into an actual basketball team. They got so douched by the Rockets, those douches. James Harden is such a douche. Yeah he scores a ton of points, but it never looks particularly cool or impressive. The Rockets are not that great IMO. Not without Chris Paul at least. Anyways sad Lakers lost Lonzo for 4-6 weeks. I always suspicious of Lonzo--I think his and Lavar''s biggest fear is getting traded. He seems to either get injured or slumping whenever trade talks come up. Prior to this ankle twist he was starting to play well, i.e. raise his trade value.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:57 pm

Coincidentally, they lost their 20 pt lead immediately when Ball got taken off the floor. I think they team was a little shook. They were playing pretty good basketball before that, looked like they had a pretty decent strategy for containing Harden, although it was odd and over the top to see how contrived they had to defend (Lakers with their hands behind their backs and hands interlocked, standing almost directly to Harden's left to force him to go right) to do it.

The Rams' victory, controversial as it was, did buoy my L.A. sports fan spirits.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:45 am

The Warriors got their revenge a couple nights ago. No emotion no fire just a cold workmanlike dismantling of the sad Lakers. It looked like two teams from different leagues. If you thought they looked sad without LaBron, you don't even want to watch them without their true #1 Lonzo. He is the spiritual leader of this squad it seems. Because let's face it, these young Lakers are not truly pursuing an NBA championship. They are just content to hang out and be famous. LiBron included. This guy couldve joined literally any team as a free agent. Ask yourself, if he truly prioritized championships, why did he pick LA of all teams? My theory is he has given up and ceded supremacy to Curry and the dubs. He can still maintain the appearance of trying in LA but by joining a dynasty organization with a current scrub roster the stakes are actually not that high. If he fails to win LA a title nobody will ride him too hard.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:14 am

Sad Lakers in turmoil here on the eve of the trade deadline. While getting brutalized by the Pacers last night, players also got brutalized all night by trade-themed taunts from the stands. Fans of sports can be so cruel :bawl

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:30 pm

So here's the deal. The Sad Lakers offered up every one of their highly touted young players in a lopsided trade for one Anthony Davis and yet the Pelicans were not impressed. Losing situation all around. Now the Sad Lakers have even more problems. They didn't get the superstar player they hoped for, and now the organization has to deal with the young players they put up for sale. Neither organization thought that much of them. That's not going to be good for morale. Duke of Hazards, your thoughts?

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 pm

I was on board with a big package to get A.D. I'd love to see the keystones of a super-team. Looks like New Orleans was content to wait until summer, which is probably to their advantage, demanded as much as they could to see how much L.A. would offer before they said 'enough'. There's gonna be shakeups anyway in L.A. If being trade bait lights a fire under these guys' asses to not suck, so be it.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:38 pm

I am disappoint. Mainly because I would've probably gone back to being a Lakers fan. This is mostly due to "Zo" let's face it. I'm sort of boycotting on account of them getting into bed with Lavar in the first place. Lonzo is mild-mannered yes, but that doesn't exempt a person from being trash. His game sucks, his music sucks, I haven't seen the TV show but I bet it sucks also. To be fair I also kind of want to see LiBron flop, even though I think he's a cool dude. Just never liked this move. But I could've gotten behind a LeBron-AD New Era Lakers. Who wouldn't. That would have been cool to see.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Yeah, I can see why you might be annoyed, beef.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:52 am

One of the best games of the season last night. There's your starting point guard for fuck's sake. I was pulling for the C's but impressed with the Sad Lakers. They looked like a team who can shoot (field goals at least).

Even the Boston-area douchebags in attendance had to smile at Rondo's buzzer beater.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:44 am

Sad Lakers is no longer just a cute little pet name. It's reality. They are now below .500, after losing to a team who is 19-38 no less. Time to start murmuring about trading LiBron.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Need the big baller back.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:35 am

No joke. I made a joke about it earlier but for reals now they seem sullen and sulky without Ball. I think LaBron has lost this squad. Which seems to corroborate my theory that he has capitulated to the Warriors and came to LA seeking not a championship, but lower stakes and lower expectations. 34 is not old for the world, it's kind of old for the NBA, but for a guy who's been carrying NBA teams since he's 18, it's getting up there. He is still the best player on the floor but you can tell he is not quite up for shouldering the whole load anymore. Especially a load that includes Luke Walton, and to some extent, Lavar Ball. :facepalm Face it Duke of Hazards, LaBron's not bringing y'all a title, not this year, or ever. The competition around the whole league is too strong. The Sad Lakers are essentially the Sacramento Kings these days. Did you see the Sixers game last week? It was brutal.