Attachments
IMG_20181011_130232.jpg
IMG_20181011_130232.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 1131 times
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Just Keep Swimming

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:14 pm

So since my last videos I've made some small simple changes and the results are incredible. The two things I focus on are taking the club back vertically and keeping some flex in my trail knee.

In the video I was bringing the club back low then lifting it causing and OTT move to avoid a snap hook. The hook was caused because my hips were sliding back and I was flipping my hands at the ball.

So keeping the flex in my knee prevents sliding of my hips, and bringing the club back more vertically keeps me on plane.

My consistency has gotten much better. The swings feel super smooth and fluid but they are going about a half club further. I picked up 10 yards with driver and it's going much straighter. I feel like everything has recently fallen into place.

Que shooting 95 in my next round.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:19 am

I was reading a thread about putting at wrx. The person kept describing their putting issues and it sounded like they were describing my putting. Decent lag putter, but pretty terrible inside 15'. Miss too many 3-5' putts and don't really make many from 5-15' either.

They talked about how they weren't able to roll the ball "true" and they hit basically a big cut. So I put a line on my golf ball and hit some putts, the results were insane. The line would instantly not roll end over end, on a 4-5' putt it looked like the line was perpendicular to the hole as soon as I made impact. So I made some changes to the lie of my putter and my grip and the ball started rolling straight almost instantly.

I basically went from a pretty flat lie angle to almost vertical, thankfully my putter allows me to quickly change the lie angle. This made me feel like I was standing on top of the ball, and I feel like I'm going to hit my big toe in my back swing. The other change I made was I made my right hand more neutral (feels weak). My palm was facing my left leg, but I rolled it over so it's now facing the target. The ball doesn't lie, it started rolling end over end instead of what ever the hell I was doing to it before.

Here are some videos, they are 2 consecutive putts, one with my old setup and the other with the new one. I noticed in the second one I still release inside my line pretty hard, so I hit a few more putts concentrating on releasing the club down the line towards the hole and the ball started rolling perfectly end over end.

Old

New
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:45 am

Cranked the temperature to 45* on the simulator to see if I could crack 300 yards in the "cold". I got oh so close. A few more squats and I'm there :rofl

Btw Doug this is my "swing full out with no regards to where the ball goes" normally when my ball speed is over 160 it's going 80 yards right, but some how I squared the face up on this one.
Attachments
1957665481.png
1957665481.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 976 times
Keep it short stupid.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:10 am

Shoulda saved that one for the course!

Very low trajectory and spin. Surprised you didn't get more roll.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:17 am

DougE wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:10 am

Very low trajectory and spin. Surprised you didn't get more roll.
16* launch is low?

I set the turf conditions to "normal" because "firm" doesn't really replicate what we have here in soggy Virginia Beach.

If I really wanted winter conditions I should set it to "soft" and aim for the 300 yard carry :rofl
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:06 am

36 ft apex is low. I am assuming that is what it means by "Height." Or is it specified in yards? Normally apex is stated in feet.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:41 am

Yeah I noticed that too Fish. What's up with the low trajectory?
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:50 am

It's 36 yards

Everything in skytrak is either yards or meters. It's a "Y" after 36. But hard to see.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:56 am

That's still low though :devil

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:10 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:56 am
That's still low though :devil
Is it? Honest question.

The median apex on the PGA tour is 102' or 34 yards.

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02407.html

Also given that the median ball speed is about 7-8 mph faster than my shot, I assume their apex would be higher.

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02402.html

Again honest question as I really don't know, I really don't pay too much attention to most of the numbers. It may seem like I "chase numbers" to some people but I really don't. With driver, I only try to maximize ball speed and minimize side spin. Sure I'd work on backspin or launch angles if they seemed way out of whack, but to me they seem fine. But I am almost never trying to "generate" a specific backspin/launch angle. They are simply reference points after the fact in my mind. As far as apex, that is just a result of the other launch conditions.

With irons it's a little different. When I look at numbers other than dispersion, I focus more on backspin and decent angle though, as those pertain to holding power which is important.

Also that is only when I'm actually working on my swing. If I'm just "practicing" I just try to hit specific yardages with my wedges, and flight the ball in different shot shapes with my irons. Then again with driver it's just long & straight that matter to me (which is hard enough anyways, no need to worry about other crap).
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:46 am

I don't think 34 yards is low. But it isn't high either.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:50 am

I was also alluding to some other screenshots. There have been some real frozen ropes posted, I thought. Also I am just giving people a hard time because I am bored and we are all bored. I wish I could hit a low runner like that. I really have no idea how. Sometimes I get the idea to tee it up low. It doesn't quite work. Just seems to spin more.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:49 am

So I was getting very hooky recently, it was very obvious in my last round. I snap hooked my way to a 96. I took some video of the swing and realized how horizontal I was getting the club super early in the back swing. This basically put me in a position that I couldn't do anything but drop under the plane and pray that I didn't hook the crap out of the ball. After messing around a little I realized if I try to keep my right palm facing the ground as long as possible it essentially prevents the club from flattening out. Also feel isn't real, my "feel" is that my palm is face down when in reality it is not. So don't jump on me for that.

I started working on keeping the right palm down and everything went really well. My side spin numbers basically zeroed out, sure I had a few that were +/-300-500rpm but prior -300 was a "good" shot that was a small 5 yard draw. The feeling is still a little foreign to me and I need to work on making it more comfortable. Right now I can only take a very slow and deliberate back swing or else I revert back to rolling my left arm over the top of my right arm and flattening the club.

I'm very encouraged that I'm able to quickly diagnose root cause when looking at videos. The issue is I don't have any way to take a DTL video when hitting balls in my simulator. I may need to get some full length mirrors so I can monitor mechanics that way. Either that or go the slow & steady route where I plan to work with a slow and methodical back swing for a month or so and really commit to not trying to speed things up.

The one downside I do see to this swing is I'm launching the ball a lot lower. I can deal with this for my low and mid irons, because I tend to launch them pretty high and the lower launch is coming with a lot of spin, so my stopping power I'm not too worried about. My long irons things get a little iffy with stopping power, but it's not terrible. The big issue is my driver is launching about 10-11 degrees but it doesn't have enough spin (still around 2000 rpm) to climb at my ball speed. At 155-160mph ball speed getting those up around 14-16* launch and 2200-2700mph is going to be better. If I could hit the 190mph mark like Cameron Champ I'd be fine with the numbers I'm creating, but launching it that low with 2000 rpm basically kills about 20 yards of carry and 15-20 yards of total distance. But if I can get everything to a point where the side spin numbers are consistently low I'll just buy a driver with about 1.5-2* more loft (currently 9*) which will effectively increase launch and increase spin rate. So I would expect a driver swap to fix that issue.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:21 am

What about teeing it high and hitting up on it? Do you measure AoA or is that different equipment?

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:16 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:21 am
What about teeing it high and hitting up on it? Do you measure AoA or is that different equipment?
Skytrak doesn't measure club data. So I don't have AoA.

The good news is the ball doesn't lie. It would be nearly impossible to have a overly downward AoA on driver and have a spin rate around 2000 rpm like I have. So if I had to guess my AoA is somewhere between -2 and +4. Which is fine for me.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:51 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:49 am
So I would expect a driver swap to fix that issue.
If you are able to keep it in the fairway consistently without big hooks or slices, a higher launching shaft, not necessarily a higher lofted head, may be all you need to give you what you are looking for. I'd get fit for shafts first if I were you, unless a new driver is in your plans anyway. I just dropped down from a 10.5 head to a 9.5 and increased distance without any real launch angle change. I went from a Diamana Blueboard 65 Stiff to a Tensei Blue 55 Stiff. I was hoping for a lower ball flight with the new 9.5 head, but the new lighter shaft gave me higher launch. Yes, my driver head changed as well, but in an effort to see what would happen with my old shaft and new 9.5 head, I tried my old Diamana in the new head and launch was even higher.

If you are planning to buy a new driver anyway, my advice is that your swing is consistent enough that getting the perfect shaft in it will make a huge difference for you. Find a good fitter. Club Champion usually does a great job from most everything I have read, but I have not personally been fit by them. All my fittings over the last 10 years have been with Titleist fitters, and certainly not as in depth as they could have been had I wanted to upgrade to an exotic shaft. My swing isn't good enough for that. Yours might be.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:15 am

Good point. I am currently using an old driver ping g15. It's a bonded shaft so swapping it out is harder than new drivers.

But yes I plan to get a fitting when I get a new driver or shaft. Which won't be anytime soon as I want more time to verify what I'm doing.
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:06 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:19 am
I was reading a thread about putting at wrx. The person kept describing their putting issues and it sounded like they were describing my putting. Decent lag putter, but pretty terrible inside 15'. Miss too many 3-5' putts and don't really make many from 5-15' either.

They talked about how they weren't able to roll the ball "true" and they hit basically a big cut. So I put a line on my golf ball and hit some putts, the results were insane. The line would instantly not roll end over end, on a 4-5' putt it looked like the line was perpendicular to the hole as soon as I made impact. So I made some changes to the lie of my putter and my grip and the ball started rolling straight almost instantly.

I basically went from a pretty flat lie angle to almost vertical, thankfully my putter allows me to quickly change the lie angle. This made me feel like I was standing on top of the ball, and I feel like I'm going to hit my big toe in my back swing. The other change I made was I made my right hand more neutral (feels weak). My palm was facing my left leg, but I rolled it over so it's now facing the target. The ball doesn't lie, it started rolling end over end instead of what ever the hell I was doing to it before.

Here are some videos, they are 2 consecutive putts, one with my old setup and the other with the new one. I noticed in the second one I still release inside my line pretty hard, so I hit a few more putts concentrating on releasing the club down the line towards the hole and the ball started rolling perfectly end over end.

Old

New
So I continue to work on this and my putting is getting a lot better. Even on the course I can tell it's better. I may not be making a ton of putts the 2 or 3 rounds I've played on the beat up greens, but the ball is rolling on the line I want and the results are so much closer than before. The 1st round I was putting this way my group commented on the putts I hit that just didn't go in (hit the lip, stopped 2 rolls dead in the heart, etc).

One thing doing this has shown me is how important transition is in the putting stroke. It's just as important as it is in the normal swing.

If you are struggling with putting I highly recommend putting a straight line around the ball and figuring out what it is you need to do so that line doesn't wobble. It's actually very hard unless you already have a good putting stroke, so I'd recommend starting at like 3' from the hole, then progressing back to 5' and 10' if you can putt w/ the line staying straight.
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:06 pm

So it occurred to me today that since conditions have become wet and windy I've become addicted to punch / knock down shots. Hardly have hit a normal iron in a few rounds, just club up 1-2 clubs and knock it down (does not include wedges). I know I can't go through life like that, but right now it seems the best way to hit the ball straight and an okay distance. I guess I'll have to fix that once things dry out some.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 pm

Fish, I would give about anything for your distance and flight path. Currently my drives are dying quails(high weak fades) that go nowhere. I’ve been playing for some time with a painfull knee and after surgery last December, am trying to get some coil back. Absolutely no whip in the downswing. Body way ahead of the club now. Disastrous results.

I agree with Doug, ClubChampion is the best fitting outfit out there. IMO.
Tee it up!