2019 summer support group

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: 2019 summer support group

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Super solid range session. I could have gone out and matched my last 96 without breaking a sweat. Well other than it's 143 degrees outside.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:16 pm

Yikes I shouldn't complain, it's 78 here. Still too warm for me though. I got a new patagonia I need to break in.
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Today hot but tomorrow forecast to be 30 or more degrees cooler. :ohyeah

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:48 am

My swing woes continue, though I have seen a few signs of brightness here and there. Starting to get my iron play back. Driver is spotty. Hit some excellent drives, then will miss one badly off the toe or heel and be off balance. Still not really keeping score, officially. Just out there working on shots and trying to figure everything out.

A couple days back, I played a two-ball scramble game on most holes, while playing solo on a pretty empty course. I decided to score the first ball all the way around, but at anytime during the course of a hole, if I didn't like my first shot for some reason, I would drop another and hit the shot again. Then I'd play both balls in from there and keep the scores for both balls. On some holes, I would play two balls right off the tee if I didn't like my first drive, and on other holes I might put the 2nd ball in play on the approach, or a chip of even a lag putt. Some holes, where I was happy with all shots, I wouldn't put a 2nd in play at all. In those cases the score for both balls was that of the one ball I played. Shot a 79 with my "real" ball and a 77 with my 2nd ball which benefited from miscues I made with the first ball swings/strokes. So it was encouraging.

Went out the next day and couldn't hit the ball again. Terrible.

Yesterday, saw some signs of recovery again. Didn't keep score, but hit some pretty great drives (and some not so great, but none embarrassing). On the 14th, a 340 yard par 4, I heeled my first drive off an unbalanced swing and it slices hard and goes about 170 yards, but still in play. Worst drive so far of the day. Tee up another and try to pay attention to balance this time. High cut to 200 yards out in playable rough. Forgot about swing path on that one. Finally, tee up a third and remember what has been working well on earlier drives in the round. Best drive in weeks. Had 67 yards in to a back pin. Nearly 275 yards from the tee. Brimming with confidence (it was right in front of the big picture windows of the bar) I hit my 58* wedge shot to 3 feet. Felt like my game 3 months ago. Boy I miss that.

So yeah, my game is still in there, hiding somewhere. But in the game of hide & seek, I feel I'm right in the area of where it's hiding. I'll find that rascal sooner or later. Just hope it's not too slippery when I do. I know it's tough to hold on to.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:37 am

@DougE Have to ask have you had any body or physical changes lately (of course there's the elbow)? Whenever I go through a period like yours (although usually not as severe), there's usually a body change -sore knee, torn finger ligament, or the number one cause is when my weight goes up to top of my range. Amazing but with 5 extra pounds I hit lots more really bad shots, but just as many good shots.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Mid-back issues, on-going elbow issues and long-term shoulder issues all happening simultaneously. Mostly back as a result of a swing change. Weight has been good. 20-25 lbs. down from 2017. Primary care doctor wanted to make sure I tried to lose it. I did. He was happy.

Certainly, the slight swing change I made a few months back started this whole fiasco. It worked, at first. But soon, it affected muscles I wasn't used to engaging and as a result I'm guessing the new soreness in my mid-back contributed to subconscious movements in the good parts of my swing, which negatively affected my overall swing. The changes were surely subtle, but then you try to fix it and go down a rabbit hole that just gets deeper and deeper. Total confusion takes over. I'm hopeful I'm digging my way out now, but that remains to be seen.

Thanks for your support.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:20 pm

Two words for you all : strength training. F stretching, F cardio, F calisthenics or whatever. F any exercises that doesn't aim to make your muscles, joints, tendons, bones stronger.

Let's face it the golf swing is kind of a F'd up movement, that is to say it is not exactly good for the body. The swing (especially if it is fundamentally sound) happens to stress most those parts of the body which are the most compromised by modern day desk-chair-couch-carseat living: the trunk and the hips. If one still insists on making the movement over and over and over again day after day after day, often against hard turf, or thick vegetation, it is only logical to expect injuries and wear/tear.

Doug, excuse me for being the asshole here but IMO you probably a) hit too many balls and 2) are not quite the strongest fittest DougE you could be.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:36 pm

@legitimatebeef You are probably right on both counts. However, on your second point, even though I know I can always be in even better shape, I feel I am in very good shape for my age. No belly, rarely drink, never smoked, very active, do yoga stretches daily, walk at least 4 miles a day and basically try to focus on staying young. Based on the last reunion I attended, I'm certainly doing better than 90-95% of those I graduated from high school with. But there's always room for improvement.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:26 pm

I do not doubt your dedication. But that regimen does not do enough IMO. To protect the body against the abuse. Of swinging a stick at 100mph. The general perception of golf is all wrong man. People are always debating whether golf is a sport or not. Those people are jackasses. Because regardless, the swing itself is a highly athletic move--seems pretty hard to dispute that. And if you want to be good at any athletic move, practice and repetition and dedication only go so far. You require athleticism, beyond that of regular Joe sixpack. Unless of course you are content to swing the club like Joe sixpack. There is a reason that all elite athletes of every sport on earth use the weight room.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:54 pm

It's time to end the summer thread. It's colder than summer now. Definitely feels like fall. Thursday forecast here is 20-25 mph winds and a high of 55* which will feel like 40! I'm supposed to play at Musket Ridge (my favorite away course in the area), but I'm not so sure I want to pay to play on a day like that, even with a senior rate of only 50 bucks. I'm hoping the rest of my group will feel the same and reschedule. I have no problem playing in those conditions at Worthington though. It's free for me to freeze my ass off there.

BTW, showing some positive signs of getting out of this long, trying slump. Been hitting the ball A LOT better over the past couple weeks. Feel like I might be able to break 80 again with some favorable bounces. 38/43 today. Should have been 38/40 but got a few unlucky bounces. Played well for the most part. Greens are lightning fast, but true. Just the way I like them.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:21 pm

So, I DID play today in those winds discussed above, only they gusted over 35 mph at times. Wore a jacket and a vest, but no gloves. Considering the wild conditions, I only lost one ball. And I would have lost that ball whether it was blowing 50 mph or dead calm. It was just a terrible swing as a result of trying something I never had before out on the course, because there was no one around to see it if I screwed up. So I tried it....and screwed up! Badly. Hit it off the extreme end of the toe and it went right, almost 90*. Glad nobody saw that one! Not counting that one, if I were keeping score, would have been around 84-85ish. Wind and cold was really tough on distance....and mental state. No birdies but 7 or 8 pars and a double or two.

Time to start the fall support thread.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:12 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:20 pm
Let's face it the golf swing is kind of a F'd up movement
Must be. it F's me up all the time :facepalm

I played golf a couple times in the last few weeks - ok it was just scrambles but I did hit the ball a bunch and used it as "practice". I also putted very well. I'm looking forward to golfing at Hilton Head next week!!
Everything Sucks

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:56 pm

I guess a little summer retrospective is in order. For me this was another awful season of golf. I played a few times, I think; I can only really remember two of them. Weather was actually not that bad. Nevertheless I'm glad it's over. Though I am still half-expecting a few more 80+ days coming up. No big hurricanes though I guess. That's technically good for everyone but frankly I am a little disappointed. I've grown to sort of like the big overblown hurricane frenzy, the panic buying, the round-the-clock news broadcasts etc.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Summer Retrospective

I played like crap for much of the summer, save several weeks in July/August. My tournament play was meh. The few decent tournament rounds were lost to higher handicappers having a better day. Right now my round count stands at 89, which is lower than most of the past decade. When one is playing shitty, it is hard to get excited about going out and stinking the course up.

There were a couple sizable gaps in my play of 2 weeks each because of travel.

My hope is the weather stays benign and I can play through Thanksgiving. Anything past that weekend is just gravy here in the Mitten.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:18 am

We quickly moved from blazing hot summer to full Fall mode very quickly. Three weeks ago we had record heat, last three weeks unseasonably cool by -15 degrees. Average high temperature here in November is 62 - I memorized that when I decided to move - average high for first 15 days of November is forecast at 54, and that's when it's not pouring down rain. Beef would love it - I'm expecting empty courses going forward. I was hoping for a few more official rounds but I think that ship has sailed. Instead I'm going to start expecting 3 hour solo rounds.