Stretching and flexibility thread

legitimatebeef

Stretching and flexibility thread

Post by legitimatebeef »

This is like, a final frontier for me. Since sometime mid-2023, I started stretching daily, reluctantly. Like most people I loathe the act. But it has revolutionized my whole stupid world as it pertains to golf. I used to get such soreness from whacking balls. In between swings I would sit there trying to either massage or stretch out stiff and aching areas, mainly in the hips. Literally hobbling back and forth from the mat to my seat. I try to not care what anybody thinks of me but I always hated presenting that way in public.

I have now worked myself out of that sad state, having become almost religious about the daily stretch. I spend about 15 minutes every morning, putting a lot of effort particularly in something in yoga called a pigeon pose. Seems quite effective in battling the tightness that likes to settle into the hip/crotch/groinal/ITB/psoas regions, all those weird ass parts that I still know almost nothing about, and which are elemental in the golf swing. What I lack in knowledge, I try to make up for with dumb force. Just push and stretch until something hurts, and then try to hold it there for like twenty seconds or more. And while attempting to hold these stretches and bear the pain, I think about my adversaries.

I am starting to take pride in flexibility, finally understanding that fitness is as much about flexibility as strength. I can now put my palms flat on the ground, and sometimes I will do it at the range just to show off. Not so much to pump up myself, but rather in the hope of making others feel inferior.
GBOGEY

Re: Stretching and flexibility thread

Post by GBOGEY »

I stretch daily unless work interferes, which is typically a day a week. 20-25 minute routine, makes the back much better, has added some yards to my game. I really shouldn't swing a club without stretching but it can be done. Can't say the same about my tennis game - I should never ever play without stretching, both for quality of my tennis and for the pain that ensues afterword. All that said, I am also now a monthly visitor to the Chiropractor and I'm doing some strength exercises for the back. I'm addicted to golf and somewhat tennis, but its a lot to do in order to keep playing.
legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef »

GBOGEY wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:43 am I stretch daily unless work interferes, which is typically a day a week. 20-25 minute routine, makes the back much better, has added some yards to my game. I really shouldn't swing a club without stretching but it can be done. Can't say the same about my tennis game - I should never ever play without stretching, both for quality of my tennis and for the pain that ensues afterword. All that said, I am also now a monthly visitor to the Chiropractor and I'm doing some strength exercises for the back. I'm addicted to golf and somewhat tennis, but its a lot to do in order to keep playing.
See that is what I am talking about. I am pretty sure that the majority of decent golfers (maybe excepting those who possess exceptional, abnormal flexibility) have to put time and effort into this. But you don't necessarily see it. In my view, stretching must be done before you get to the golf course. You cannot get a proper stretch in public. Whenever I see people plop their bag down at the range and then attempt to get limber, they always look so hopeless. Like, that is not stretching. Real stretching is like clipping your toenails or cleaning your ears, i.e. way too ugly and personal to do a good job of in public. And it is not an afterthought, something to get out of the way a few minutes before you start flailing away. No, it is its own serious endeavor.
DougE

Post by DougE »

legitimatebeef wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:39 am
See that is what I am talking about. I am pretty sure that the majority of decent golfers (maybe excepting those who possess exceptional, abnormal flexibility) have to put time and effort into this. But you don't necessarily see it. In my view, stretching must be done before you get to the golf course. You cannot get a proper stretch in public. Whenever I see people plop their bag down at the range and then attempt to get limber, they always look so hopeless. Like, that is not stretching. Real stretching is like clipping your toenails or cleaning your ears, i.e. way too ugly and personal to do a good job of in public. And it is not an afterthought, something to get out of the way a few minutes before you start flailing away. No, it is its own serious endeavor.
Yep. What Beef said.
legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef »

I was away last week for four days, during which I was unable to do a proper stretch. As a result I did not feel right inside or out. Affected my whole experience and outlook. :?