2024 - Club Memberships & Season Passes

bkuehn1952.2

2024 - Club Memberships & Season Passes

Post by bkuehn1952.2 »

I used to purchase a season pass for the City of Ann Arbor golf courses (2). That was 30 years ago. I did it for 3-4 years. The annual cost was around $325 ($350 if purchased after March 1). Walking only. It was a break even situation for me as I worked full time. After work there were leagues clogging the course until 6-7pm. So I would play a few afternoon rounds on the weekend, go out at twilight and maybe get in 9 holes, etc.

Fast forward to 2023. The course manager felt the season passes were costing the courses too much money. A fair number of peope were purchasing 7-day passes, taking tee times early every day, including weekends, and walking 18. They would pay the $900 pass fee and play 150-180 times a season. A foursome of paying customers on a weekend using carts would generate $220. A foursome of pass holders walking generated -0-. The manager instituted a new pass rule for 2023 that the 7-day passholders could play on the weekend after 2pm. Several of the passholders were enraged. They went to the City Council to protest. The Council told them to pound sand. They decided to buy passes at the County owned course, Pierce Lake. End of story ... until 2024.

In 2024, the pass cost went up a bit but the real kicker was they were going to limit the number of passes sold to 65. Anyone interested could apply for the lottery. The 65 lucky winners would be notified on 2/1/2024. On a lark, I submitted my name, never expecting to be notified. On 2/1/2024, I was notified I was one of the 65 selected and I had until 2/8 to pay or decline the pass. I paid my $695 (Senior 5-Day). Since I work only 1 day a week now, they are going to see a lot of me in 2024. ;)
GBOGEY

Re: 2024 - Club Memberships & Season Passes

Post by GBOGEY »

I always amazed at the various tee time / pricing deals that golf courses do that make little business sense. Usually a deal like that you want people to not walk and bring in cart revenue. Or somehow sell out open spots, not totally clog the tee sheet. The Memphis city golf really didn't have much business sense either. But I thought the NJ system I was in was more thoughtful about these things than most.
GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY »

Kind of shocked these deals are still around. I hear stories hear about pre-Covid there was a golf book you could buy for like $200. All of the Kiawah courses were in it as were all the other public courses around Charleston. The Kiawah tee times were worth like $700 by themselves. Of course, pre-covid, no longer exists.
MattF

Post by MattF »

My course was still $400 for 2 years. This is the 2nd year so it'll be interesting to see what they do at the end of this season.
legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef »

My $135/3 months "range membership" comes with 2 large buckets a day, along with one hour early twilight or super twilight rates. This course is altogether too cheaply priced. It brings down the atmosphere.
DougE

Post by DougE »

We usually have no trouble filling our tee sheet every weekend day, in-season (weather-permitting), from open until 3pm. Our rates this year will be $120 weekend mornings and $100 after 1pm. As a result, we have been purposely limiting the pass holder plans we offer, especially those which allow for play in the mornings on weekends and holidays. We set our 7-day anytime pass to $7000 (plus a $25 cart fee per round if used) this year, but then decided we don't need, or really even want, to encourage weekend morning pass purchases.

I only signed up one new player this season, as a result. And for him, an exception was made. On our website we presented the 7-Day, Anytime Pass at $7K, but noted that plan was "presently full." I had a guy call me and ask if I would make an exception if he signed a contract for 5 years at that rate right then and there. He was literally ready to pay $35K to get an any day, any time pass for the period. So I brought it upstairs to the powers-that-be, after speaking or emailing with the new potential pass holder a number of times about the possibilities. An exception was made, mostly due to this wannabe-passholder's desire and enthusiasm for our course. And he was a really nice guy (unlike some of the pass holders we presently have, IMO) to boot. The guy was thrilled when I called him with the news, even though we were only going to take his money for one single year, for now. I have met with him a few times now and I'm pretty confident we made a good exception. He got fitted by Titleist and ultimately purchased a complete set of new TSR metals, T200 irons and a Scotty Cameron putter, as well as a custom embroidered staff bag, all through me. So, yeah, so far, I like this guy!

These days, our course is focused more on outings and events. We were loaded with them last season and have even more scheduled this year. So pushing the sale of passes is not the direction we are heading. Our midweek pass holder rate is more reasonable only because we have so many events during the week. And we sell it, letting people know we have a full slate of outings and events on the calendar. We also have many big USGA tournaments planned including a US Open Qualifier (for the 2nd year in a row), a LPGA Epson Tour event, multiple Division 1 College Tourneys, a Maryland State Senior Open, an AJGA tournament, as well as a growing number of other high-profile events, of which I don't remember all off the top of my head. So, pass holders are not at the top of our wishlist, because that's not where the money is.

One side note, I was tasked as the "membership director" at our facility in early 2023, though my card simply reads: Manager, Golf Operations. There are a few existing pass holders who probably refer to me as something more like "Pass-Nazi," but I enjoy reminding those who think they are entitled, that they are not. On our website, I changed the verbiage regarding membership to "Pass Plans" and "pass holders." Those who think they are members of something are inaccurate. This isn't a private club. They get to play on a difficult, high-end public golf course for a one-time upfront fee, as often as the plan of which they purchased allows.That's it. Maybe it's a good thing it doesn't say membership director on my card. The need for one gets less and less. Yay.

I'm not as mean as I make it sound here. Most pass-holders actually like me. We laugh, we joke, we talk golf together. It's only those who think they can do whatever they want that give me problems. And for the most part, I have shut that down. Rules are for everyone, unless someone above me tells me otherwise. In fact, we have a new Head Pro who seems to be totally on board with everything I do regarding pass holders. So I know I have his support and the big boss' upstairs, too.
bkuehn1952.2

Post by bkuehn1952.2 »

DougE wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:06 am We set our 7-day anytime pass to $7000 (plus a $25 cart fee per round if used) this year, but then decided we don't need, or really even want, to encourage weekend morning pass purchases.
:shock: People are willing to pay $7,000 plus a $25 cart fee! Of course, you guys run 365 days a year, weather permitting. The cost is starting to approach some of the local private clubs (minus the initiation fee and food minimums).

I agree that public access courses with passes or memberships generally do not make sense. Especially since the COVID boom in golf.
GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY »

DougE wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:06 am We set our 7-day anytime pass to $7000 (plus a $25 cart fee per round if used) this year, but then decided we don't need, or really even want, to encourage weekend morning pass purchases.
My guess is that the pre-covid cost was half of $7000.

It makes me feel good - I'm paying about $6000 a year to be a golf member (still have to pay cart or pushcart fee). Of course, I'm also paying $6000 year to be a social / racquet member as well, but the golf membership is a pretty good deal considering the quality of the course and unlimited play.
bkuehn1952.2

Post by bkuehn1952.2 »

MattF wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:57 am My course was still $400 for 2 years. This is the 2nd year so it'll be interesting to see what they do at the end of this season.
Remains the greatest golf deal in the USA. $200 a year for unlimited golf. :shock:
MattF

Post by MattF »

bkuehn1952.2 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:39 am
MattF wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:57 am My course was still $400 for 2 years. This is the 2nd year so it'll be interesting to see what they do at the end of this season.
Remains the greatest golf deal in the USA. $200 a year for unlimited golf. :shock:
It is and I hope they continue it, but I don't think they will.