PGA/LIV/DPW 2023

GBOGEY

Re: PGA/LIV/DPW 2023

Post by GBOGEY »

legitimatebeef wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:58 am Pro golf is mainly about money matters at this point. I cannot really think of anything more boring.

I prefer to keep a positive outlook. That is to say, we have had an extremely good run, better than any golf-on-tv watcher could reasonably have hoped for. It is the kids today that I pity. They are bereft.
Totally agree - pro golf on TV has become over the top boring. Only a few events have multiple top players, and not even sure who's a top player anymore since a couple did take the money and run. I think Greg Norman succeeded - he blew up the PGA tour. Of course he's also blown up pro golf completely.
legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef »

Pro golf getting worse by the day. Jon Rahm leaving the PGAT was an actual disappointment for me, as I did like that guy and his game. Then some amateur wins a fairly big PGAT event. An exceptional achievement but I cannot help but see it as an indictment of the current level of the PGAT. And to top it off, the big buzz going around now is that of an Anthony Kim comeback. The genuine excitement I am seeing over a guy who won like three times on tour and has not made a meaningful swing in over a decade, says a lot about the current situation. As if there wasn't enough boring money talk in pro golf; now we can all fuss over the ins and outs of Anthony Kim's fabled insurance policy and what it means for his prospects going forward. In any case I am fully expecting the PGAT and LIV to merge soon. Good, put me out of my misery.
legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef »

Golf fans today have to make do with the likes of Anthony Kim, and Tiger's pubescent son.
legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef »

Organically, I enjoyed this year's Players's Championship. I like Scottie. The closest thing to Tiger we have seen in a while. It is just not as readily apparent without all the muscles, the emotional outbursts, the pre-tournament hype, the multiracial flair, signature apparel etc. But that is how golf historically goes. Tiger was the anomaly. Golf is mainly about ballstriking and fuckin' putting. At the end of the day Tiger did not dominate because of any that fluff, he just had the superior swing and putting stroke. Fundamentals.

I can even look past the unusual Scottie lower body action, because the shot tracers are so tight. He ballstrikes better than anyone, save maybe John Ram. Especially under pressure. Actually I think I am starting to enjoy watching Scheffler swing. It used to look bad to me, but gets better the more I see it. Looking forward to see how he does in that One Week in April.

Also I just like Scottie because he comes off like a normal human being. I.e. not some weird cloistered prima donna. Let's face it a lot of the guys at the top seem a little weird and not in a cool way. Funny when I first heard the name I was like, Scottie?! What kind of smug douche makes that his professional ID? He had better be a cool guy, I thought, because that is one hell of an insufferable sounding, country club fuckface kind of name if I ever heard one. But now that is all in the past. He is a cool guy.
DougE

Post by DougE »

I have to agree with you, Beef......yet, again.
legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef »

DougE wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:12 am I have to agree with you, Beef......yet, again.
Sucks, right??? :)
GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY »

It was nice to see a field worth watching. Really don't pay attention like I used to. Too many tournaments without any top players.
bkuehn1952.2

Post by bkuehn1952.2 »

I am like a number of us (yes, a small number to start). I am fairly sure I have not watched a combined 30 minuts of golf in 2024. I wonder if I will summon up the interest to watch the Masters? If the weather is decent, I may take a pass on watching.
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

I haven’t watched 30 minutes of pro golf either. Nobody peaks my interest. Gone are the days of Tiger, Phil, VJ, Goosen and Els. I’m kind of tired of Scotty. Not because he wins but because he’s boring as hell. I check the leaderboard and never heard of half these guys. Yawn fest.

The Masters is my favorite major. But I’ll play before I’ll watch. If Tiger is in the hunt I’ll tune in. If not I don’t much care.

The (old) guys that brought me into the game are gone.

This bullshit with LIV is killing any spark I have left.