Star Wars (warning, spoilers)

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Star Wars (warning, spoilers)

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:24 pm

Found it so boring. Kylo Ren? I couldn't believe how nakedly, unashamedly millennial-douchey they drew that character. And the way he set up Han Solo with that phony ruse, Help me dad, I want to move back home, to set up the cowardly death blow. What's up with that? Darth Maul was a better villain, that guy had presence, and was scary. And too bad they couldn't come up with a better end for Solo than that. Really weak. And what in holy hell happened to Carrie Fisher. Life I guess. It has hit her pretty hard. Portraying an important role, the generalissimo of the resistance not to mention the mom of the movie's chief villain, she brings nothing to the table. The lack of energy is palpable and drags the movie down.

Plotwise it was highly derivative of Star Wars 4. Young blue collar worker discovers he/she has the Force, comes across an important droid, gets swept up in the rebellion/resistance, gotta destroy the death star, but first gotta get in there and deactivate shit. Zzzzz. The character of the stormtrooper-turned-resistance fighter seems like it should've been a lot more interesting. I hate to say it but the prequels were better than this, more imaginative at least. I am not interested in what happens next in Star Wars 8 and 9.
vamos a jugar por la playa

JPJ
dogs: 0

Re: Star Wars (warning, spoilers)

Post by JPJ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:43 am

Ah, ya great grump-hump!
;-)

Although you have made many valid points. Kylo Ren lost a lot of his aura when he took the helmet off, although he's a much better actor than Hayden Christensen, and I enjoyed his petulant destruction of consoles.

The bridge scene was a major "I know what's going to happen next..." moment (aside: was I the only one who thought it was obvious when Vader said "No! I am your father!" in TESB?), although briefly it looked like they were going to break the usual Hollywood trope and allow Kylo his redemption.

Leia's role was, sadly, very inactive (I can't find the right word, but that'll do). As you've said, she was just...there.

But I disagree that the prequels were better. Episode 7 was much more like a Star Wars movie should be, even with the obvious similarities that you've pointed out. This film had a lot of pace and excitement, it was a proper adventure, whereas the three prequels were slow and dull.
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:18 am

I'm going with both of you on this.

Kylo reminds me of a goth/emo kid. Disagree about Carrie Fisher, life happens and I thought, for the screen time that she got, it was good...maybe she'll be more involved in the next one.

It's no secret that Harrison Ford wanted Han to die in the carbonite so I'm not surprised he got offed.

I, personally, thought it was worth the 30 years between 6 and 7...but I saw 4 when it was released as well.
Throw me another ball will ya!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:42 am

As a kid I loved the first film, and Empire was the greatest thing I had ever seen, but even when I was young and I saw those Ewoks in Jedi, I thought they were lame. I think I saw one more since then, whatever the one with Ewen McGregor was. Don't remember anything about it, really.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:44 am

Am I wrong or was the flying motorcycle through the trees the first use of steadycam in film? That was cool at the time.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

JPJ
dogs: 0

Post by JPJ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:38 pm

jfurr wrote:I think I saw one...the one with Ewen McGregor...
Dude, that doesn't really narrow it down!
;)
Golf is too hard. Stupid golf.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:32 pm

I feel that MacGregor brought some heart to the prequels, as did Liam Neeson. Hayden Christensen acted pretty terrible, and the prequels had a plethora of their own story issues but at least it was George Lucas telling his own story. I think that is being lost on people right now. Disney bought the rights to the franchise a few years ago, and not only that, they rejected Lucas' original treatments for 7,8 and 9. To me that is a huge change. Star Wars the story is George Lucas' goddamn brainchild and now Disney has completely taken it over--I do not see how people can take these new movies as any sort of authentic continuation of Lucas' original creations, any more than you could if Disney bought the rights to Tolkien and recruited new writers and directors and attempted to create a sequel to "Lord of the Rings".

The Force Awakens is a bald-faced business endeavor. Not saying the original Lucas movies were not, but the overriding spirit was the storytelling. The prequels were inspired and imaginative and didn't just tell Darth Vader's origin story, they expanded the Star Wars universe. They revealed a lot about the different races, places and cultures involved. Whatever people thought of the prequels, they made the Star Wars universe seem massive. Lucas had a passion for the details and the canon of his story. Star Wars was nearly Tolkien-esque in that regard. The Disney Star Wars universe by comparison feels small and terrestrial. Taking away the familiar characters and snippets of original Star Wars movie score, TFA is a rather bland sci-fi movie for 2016 IMO. Suckers.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:31 pm

Okay, I went and looked at the user reviews on IMDB and now some of my barely-existent faith in humanity has been restored. The consensus on TFA sucking and the reasons behind it is strong. Some have taken to referring to the director as Jar Jar Abrams. Ha ha. That's apt. Apt I say!

I was going say we should all refer to Kylo Ren as "Douche Vader" but maybe "Kyle Ren" is more apt. He looks more like a Kyle than a galactic supervillain.

Also I watched some of the last "SNL" starring Adam Driver and I think I realized something about Star Wars and the future of the story. Adam Driver comes off like a goofy, good-natured person. Not villainous at all. He could have played Napoleon Dynamite every bit as well as Jon Heder. Thus the Kylo Ren character seems destined to give in to his temptations and turn to the light side. That said who gives a crap. I'm going to go work on my Big Bang Theory fanfiction now.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:11 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:32 pm
The Force Awakens is a bald-faced business endeavor. Not saying the original Lucas movies were not, but the overriding spirit was the storytelling. The prequels were inspired and imaginative and didn't just tell Darth Vader's origin story, they expanded the Star Wars universe. They revealed a lot about the different races, places and cultures involved. Whatever people thought of the prequels, they made the Star Wars universe seem massive. Lucas had a passion for the details and the canon of his story. Star Wars was nearly Tolkien-esque in that regard. The Disney Star Wars universe by comparison feels small and terrestrial. Taking away the familiar characters and snippets of original Star Wars movie score, TFA is a rather bland sci-fi movie for 2016 IMO. Suckers.
Jesus God, you're a douche for even caring that much.

Just saw the latest episode. I am now that much less interested in any and all things Star Wars. These new films are actually souring me on the originals too, which I once loved. Sad. By the time episode 9 or whatever comes, I'm guessing it will turn into full blown hatred.

Tolkien FTW :fuckall

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:31 pm

This latest Star Wars movie is richer and more complex than I initially thought. It has stayed with me and over the last few days I've been contemplating the nuances of its suckiness, which did not all reveal themselves to me at first viewing.

This is not just any sucky movie, it is a gigantic, epic, multi-layered monument to the suckiness of corporate entertainment and art-by-committee.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:26 pm

Keep thinking back to this piece of shit. Particularly the final scenes where Luke "force-projects" ( :puke ) himself to the Rebel base, where he hands his sister those golden dice that belonged to Han Solo. The idea of Luke projecting himself across a galaxy is hard enough to bear. Now he is transporting matter too? I'm sorry but as a work of "science fiction" the Star Wars franchise has spiraled out of control. Most of the story no longer even makes sense inside the confines of its own make-believe world. :puke

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Beef, you seem to like sci fi. Have you checked out Black Mirror? It's on Netflix. It's an anthology series, each episode is its own autonomous story. Some are better than others. Started on BBC.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:27 pm

I'll check it out. There'd better be tits!

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Black Mirror is pretty awesome. I think the newest season is the worst of the 4, but they're all good.

jattruia

Post by jattruia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm

And as bad as these new Star Wars have been (and i agree from what i've seen), i still can't sit through a LOTR movie...i saw the first one and it was so bad, I was ready to go after the first half (felt like 8 hours give or take) of the movie.