Advice on gut reduction

brianmk24

Re: Advice on gut reduction

Post by brianmk24 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:24 pm

I have the same feeling about being sore during the season. I'd get my skinny fat butt to the gym if I could ever get to the grocery store and get enough food to make the gym worthwhile.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:23 am

friend of mine suggested this workout. I've watched it, but haven't tried it yet.
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:17 pm

You want some advice on gut reduction, deadlifts. Ya I know, the exact same advice I tried to give out at least once before. It's a great exercise. People fall in love with it. I do it only on one day a week, and only a couple sets but its something I look forward to. It's hard to explain but I guess it just sort of awakens the strength in your body or some shit, like no other exercise. Maybe because it uses your strongest muscles, all in concert. This week finally I lifted the equivalent of my body weight, still pretty weak by general deadlifting standards, but for me it's kind of a life milestone because I had never lifted, benched or squatted my own weight. Just got a new pair of pants and this time I went down a size after wearing 32's for the longest time.
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:43 pm

32s? I remember 32s. Ah, the good ol' days. I was about 16 I think.

Now at, ahem...cough...60, I am still hoping to fit into 34s again one day....soon. (Note: Hoping=dreaming.)

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:36 pm

Wow, I am getting a little fat. Clothes feeling smaller and the scale says I'm up a whopping 7 lbs from last year. Been working on some strength gains so maybe there's some muscle build underneath too. Who knows, who cares. I was a little underweight to begin with.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:39 pm

Or maybe the bakery products cooked and consumed while Mrs Beef was away.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:31 pm

I've complained about being under weight in the past. But here's what happens. Soon as a few pounds are added, I freak out and start reducing intake and increasing energy expenditure, until I am back at my safe baseline weight. This can also be viewed as a metaphor for any kind of life change. We tend to freak out and retreat back to the comfort of what is familiar.

If I want to make a genuine change and really bulk up, I have to break that pattern of behavior. I have to buy some bigger clothes and charge headlong into the new reality and embrace all that comes with it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:27 pm

New reality. I am a big dude now. No more pushing the beef around. Nope, better think twice. It's not just the weight gain, or the strength gain. There is also the surging testosterone levels from lots of large-muscle weight lifts. :x

It is hard to gain pure muscle weight. Maybe I am a little pudgier than before but no fucks left to give. Why care, if I am naturally inclined to be active, I actually like exercise and running stairs and box jumping and riding bike up hills and stupid stuff like that. If I want to get lean probably just need to skip desserts for a couple weeks not a big deal.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:22 pm

So I started running (with the wife) this past week. We're trying to lose a bit of weight. We both calculated our BMI didn't like what we saw, want to both get back to mid-normal range.

I'm enjoying it so far, feel more energized throughout the day. Reduced my caloric intake as well, inc. beer. 1-2 light beers per day vs. 2-3 craft brews, which saves about 500 cal/day. Eating better too. The wife's pretty on it with the calorie counting. Gonna set some goals re: 5k
Bluto did it

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:19 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:light beers
:crazy:
I'm gonna hit a provisional
HCP Index :facepalm

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:04 pm

Yeah, I know. I just gotta keep my craft beer drinking confined to weekends. Such is life after 40.
Bluto did it

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:08 pm

2 weeks in a hospital = 20 lbs lost - with no exercise and no dieting (i.e. the hospital food is plenty more than you can eat). Easy, peasy! :wave:

Not the cheapest (or healthiest) way to go about it so I wouldn't recommend it, but it's a good start for what happens afterwards: slowly replace fat with muscle (as most of the initial loss is muscle due to inactivity) while keeping a low calorie count, which is somewhat easy too as I haven't regained my appetite fully, and 3 weeks after my release, I weight 3-4 lbs less and have regained some muscle mass, so some fat must have been consumed, as you all know that muscle is heavier than fat... :thumbup:
Last edited by sjduffers on Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gonna go low this time...

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:33 am

I'm down another 3lbs this week and going well.

All I do is wear a fitbit for counting steps (I average about 14,000 a day) and log everything that I consume, including beer.

Stared at 216lbs, this morning I'm at 205lbs...all this since February.
Throw me another ball will ya!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:49 pm

MattF wrote:I'm down another 3lbs this week and going well.

All I do is wear a fitbit for counting steps (I average about 14,000 a day) and log everything that I consume, including beer.

Stared at 216lbs, this morning I'm at 205lbs...all this since February.
Excellent Matt! That's a lot of steps, man. I know walking a round of golf is 12k-18k depending on the course, and I am not doing that now. But to maintain 14k daily, that is a lot of walking as I don't imagine you walk a round every day, do you?

Did you cut down on the beer (just a tad)?

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:41 am

Thanks mate! I don't walk when I play golf. Beer consumption is about the same.

My secret is I work 2 jobs. M-F in an office, but I might walk up to 4-5,000 steps there. The second job is unloading trucks at Lowes S-Th nights. I walk anything up to 12,000 steps there, plus the lifting of product.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:06 am

Good stuff Matt. I've also been counting steps, trying to get 10k/day, using phone app, also tracking runs.

I've also been counting calories. Sounds a bit prissy, but it's been working. Quantifying stuff. Actually measuring out 'servings' of food. And with the cutback on alcohol, I'm a lightweight again. 1 ipa and a couple of Miller 64's and I had a pretty good buzz going.

I'm hoping to reach my goal weight by the end of July.
Bluto did it

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:17 am

Good luck with the goal. I once hit 199lbs and my goal is to be under that by the end of July when my Mum comes for a visit.

Ultimately I'd like to get down to about 185-190lbs.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:30 am

I was able to go from around 215-220 down to 190-195, getting that last 5-10 lb for me has been tough. To be fair I've done the entire first part through diet alone. If I threw in a little consistent exercise I'm sure I'd get there.
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:03 pm

I get the exercise, that's for sure.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:00 pm

So today, I ran 5k in just under 30min, pushing myself. Goal 1 achieved. I guess not too bad for a mild-moderately out of shape 40yo desk jockey.
Legs still feel a bit rubbery.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to do it in under 20min, but that's a long term goal. Will try to reduce in 1 min increments.
Bluto did it

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:09 am

I did the couch to 5k a couple of years ago. Started out outside and eventually bought a treadmill. I've since sold the treadmill but I could still run if I had to.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:16 pm

MattF wrote:I did the couch to 5k a couple of years ago. Started out outside and eventually bought a treadmill. I've since sold the treadmill but I could still run if I had to.
I am not running, unless pursued by a wild animal who wants me harm, and then I only need to run faster (or longer) than whoever is with me! :lol:

MattF

Post by MattF » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:11 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dusty23

Post by dusty23 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:14 pm

Running saved my life...literally. Against doctors advice because I have degenerative disk problems in my back I decided to do some light running back in 2014. Warmed up, did the running, cooled down, stretched out, right knee hurt. Went thru doctors, ended up with the MRI, torn meniscus. scheduled the surgery, went to pre-op physical, they found a 4.5 inch tumor in my lung of which I had no symptoms. If I hadn't run and it hadn't been found, no telling how it may have spread. If you can do it, go for it. I've got a bad back, surgically repaired knee and I'm missing a third of my lung so I will stick with long walks for now and mostly body weight exercises

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:05 am

Wow, that's fortunate.
Bluto did it