Rick Reilly's 85%

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Rick Reilly's 85%

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:01 am

So I did some digging on google to see if I could find anywhere that validated this comment.

So far I've come up empty, that being said I did find this article pretty enjoyable. It is by no means a "scientific study" and shouldn't really be treated as such, but I did find it enjoyable and realized how often I cheat due to not really knowing the rules as well as I should. Example I never mark my ball that I'm lifting to identify it. I do always lift it with only 2 fingers, I do not clean it, and I do attempt to replace it replicating the previous lie; but I NEVER mark it before hand.

Note some of the rules are not current since the article was wtiten a while ago. Also it has been my understanding that asking for yardages is not a breach of the rule prohibiting advice because yardages are "public information". This article seems to indicate each time someone asks for or gives a yardage it's a violation of this rule. I know the current rules giving distances is not a violation. It clearly state "advice does not include public information, such as the location of things on the course, the distance from one point to another, or the rules."

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rules-field-test
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Rick Riley's 85%

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:17 am

Surprised you didn't go direct to the source, the so-called National Golf Foundation. I'm sure their fees are quite affordable.
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Rick Riley's 85%

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:27 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:17 am
Surprised you didn't go direct to the source, the so-called National Golf Foundation. I'm sure their fees are quite affordable.
I did go there to look for it. I searched their site for that stat. The search returned 3 different reports, but they need to be downloaded. I don't download stuff on my work computer. Depending on how much this irritates me I may or may not download them at home.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Rick Reilly's 85%

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:23 pm

Even some offhand reference to "85% of golfers play by the rules" is highly irresponsible. It perpetuates the fallacy that the majority of golfers are not shitty and unprincipled.
Build a bridge and get over it.