Best feeling in golf?

Best feeling in golf?

Ripping a long, straight drive down the middle.
16%
Reaching par 5 in two with a long club.
11%
Executing a mid distance approach (160-180) to 15' for birdie look.
32%
Sticking a short iron/wedge to <12in. for a tap-in.
21%
Pulling off a creative and fantastic recovery shot around or over an obstacle.
11%
Hitting a 20 foot+ green side bunker or chip from rough to <3 ft.
5%
Holing a 20 foot+ putt for birdie.
5%

Total votes: 19

Duke of Hazards

Best feeling in golf?

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:31 pm

So I hit a good number of shots in my last round with some truly memorable ones. The thrills one gets from hitting good shots is what locks us all down to this game. I can't recall if we did a similar poll, but thought I'd throw one up. You get 2 choices. Go.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Best feeling in golf?

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:00 pm

Good poll. Right now it's fairways n' greens for me, with a mid or long iron. I scored like shit last time out but I flew 4-irons off the deck onto the green, twice, gave me a lot of satisfaction.
Build a bridge and get over it.

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:29 pm

I chose the short irons since thats my weakness, and giving myself a tap in is always a buzz. The 15 footer left from longer iron is nice, but not quite the same.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:01 pm

There are 7 choices and I easily could have picked 5 of them. Wouldn't lean to big drives or hitting a long club onto the green - I like to score!

Regardless, there is something about hitting an iron pure. I had one near the end of my 3rd round of golf that started me down the road to obsession. Yesterday played some miserable golf and missed too many greens with short clubs, but two of the misses were pure strikes and went surprisingly far beyond the green. Led to bogeys, but I didn't mind as much - felt really good.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:38 pm

All good choices. I picked the 20ft birdie putt and the long iron approach to 15ft. But, in earnest, they are all satisfying! :claps
I'm gonna go low this time...

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:57 pm

I also picked the 2 iron choices, probably because I've been struggling with those, but hit them well in my last round.

I hit a full lob wedge on a par 5 from the left rough that went high and was covering the flag. I thought it was going long, but I told it to sit and it did. It landed and stuck 4 inches from the cup. Almost nothing better.

Also, on the last hole of the day, I drove it into the right rough and left myself a long approach (170 ish) over a creek that fronted the green. I hit a pure mid-iron that went high and felt great off the face, landed on the back of the green.

I think full approach shots capture the essence of golf as a target game better than any other and they're supremely pleasurable when done right.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:49 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:01 pm
Regardless, there is something about hitting an iron pure. I had one near the end of my 3rd round of golf that started me down the road to obsession. Yesterday played some miserable golf and missed too many greens with short clubs, but two of the misses were pure strikes and went surprisingly far beyond the green. Led to bogeys, but I didn't mind as much - felt really good.
Yeah it doesn't get much better than flushing an iron (specifically a long iron). You know the time where you swing, you hear contact and you look up to see the ball but you really felt nothing in your hands. There was no vibration, no feeling at all at impact. So in my opinion the best feeling in golf is no feeling.
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 am

For me it's ripping a drive straight down the guts and sticking a short iron for a tap in.
Throw me another ball will ya!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:29 am

Recovery shot over an obstacle was one of mine.

Yesterday on a short 300 yd par four. Slightly pulled drive hit some limbs and dropped straight down. Maybe 100 yds. Took 5i and hooked it right 50 yds from green with a large tree between me and the flag. Bunker to right of green. I chose a LW, opened the face and ripped it over the tree and 5’ from the cup. Sunk the putt for one of the most unlikely pars I’ve had in awhile.

Reaching any par 5 in two is always a great feeling.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 am

Long club on the green as that is my area of weakness.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!