Random golf news

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Random golf news

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Surprised that this thread does not exist yet. Well here you go. Some guy just set a world record by playing 420 holes in 24 hours. That's 23 rounds and change. My nutsack feels split just thinking about that much golf.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/former ... s-24-hours
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Random golf news

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:11 pm

Rode a cart? Average score for 18? Guys that do shit for a record leave me cold. "I played 6,000 holes in one day,,, WOO hoo!" Who really gives a shit that someone shot an average score of 87 wearing a miner's hat?
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:35 am

Totally man. There should be a minimum standard of scoring required for these dumb shenanigans world records.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:36 am

Your sucky golf swing is now helping to destroy the environment. Stop it.

California teen collects 50,000 rotting golf balls from coastal waters

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:36 am

You all probably don't remember, but I mentioned a young teenage Korean American girl a while back, Faith Choi, who plays out of Worthington Manor. Her coach is our head pro, Ed Coyle. We have many young juniors who train here, but Faith is the best.

Here's a the original thread from a few years back where I first mentioned her, after Fluff Cowan played a round with her and commented on her game. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=582&p=11676&hilit=Faith+Choi#p11676

Well, last August, Faith won the Mid-Atlantic qualifier for the U.S. Women's Amateur Four Ball giving her a ticket to the National Championship event in Florida this year. Yesterday, was the first round. Faith and her partner, blew away the entire 64-team field of regional winners, and broke the Four Ball Championship record, shooting a 60 (with 12 birdies) on the tough Timuquana Country Club, 6300 yard (women's set up) course in Jacksonville. They were 4 strokes ahead of the 2nd place team.

Today is another round and I know ANNIKA SORENSTAM will be watching closely. Evidently, she has taken notice of Faith. There's more to the Annika connection, but I don't yet know what it is. I only know what I overheard on the phone call between Ed Coyle and Faith's mom in the Worthington pro shop yesterday after my round.

https://www.yourgolfdigest.com/maryland ... ng-record/

MattF

Post by MattF » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:54 am

Good stuff Doug.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:52 am

Welp, I was totally misinformed about the Annika connection. Actually, I jumped to conclusions, no one gave me false information. Annika Sorenstam may or may not have noticed Faith, but that still remains to be seen. Turns out, the Aneka I overheard being mentioned was Faith's four-ball partner. I so stupid. I know our head pro knows Annika Sorenstam, so when I heard him mention the name in the context that he did, it sounded to me as if he was speaking of her. Unfortunately there was much more to the context, that I did not hear. I let my assumptions take over.

However, on the positive side, Annika Sorenstam or not, Faith and Aneka did go on to win the stroke play qualifying and now move into match play as the #1 seed. They face the bottom seed team in their first match today.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu May 02, 2019 6:35 pm

US Open Qualifier at Worthington Manor next Tuesday. The place was packed today with competitors out practicing and learning the course. I am thinking I may offer my caddie services to someone who could use the local knowledge. For the right price.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:20 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:35 pm
US Open Qualifier at Worthington Manor next Tuesday. The place was packed today with competitors out practicing and learning the course. I am thinking I may offer my caddie services to someone who could use the local knowledge. For the right price.
Do they have to be a Titleist player? :clapping
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu May 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Good question. But that shouldn't be a problem. From what I saw out there on the range and on the course today, there were a LOT of Titleist bags. I suppose I will have to be very discerning in who I PICK to loop for. ;)

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue May 07, 2019 6:47 pm

The US Open Qualifier is still going on with only the morning tee times finishing so far. Based on that half of the field, the scores prove, once again, that Worthington Manor is a tough-ass track. There are about 120 actually playing. (The field was 130, but about 10 withdrew or DNS.) The highest handicap index allowed is 1.4. Lowest is somewhere around +5.

Out of the first half of players, 30 did not break 80. One guy shot a 96 with a 13 on the par 4 16th. Not sure how he did that. Though a long par 4, about 470 yards, there really isn't that much trouble. No hazards, no fairway bunkers. A snap hook will put you in 3 foot grass, but other than that, I can't figure out what he did to card a 13 there.) Granted they are playing from the black tees, which are set to around 7200 yards with a slope rating of 145, but still, I don't think many of these guys knew what they were getting when they decided to give it a shot at Worthington.

Though most of the field is from the mid-Atlantic region, there are a bunch of out-of-regioners in the field. Maybe they thought qualifying here would be easier than qualifying in their own neighborhood. I saw four or five from NC, one of whom is from Pinehurst, two from Florida, one from Tennessee, and one from Vermont. The guy from Pinehurst is presently at T-11. Only the top 8 move on for a chance to make the Open.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue May 07, 2019 8:21 pm

To be fair you can have a handicap over 1.4 and go to us open qualifying. If you declare yourself as a pro there is no handicap restrictions, oh and there is no restrictions on what makes you a pro.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue May 07, 2019 9:19 pm

True, but an Am MUST have 1.4 or lower.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue May 07, 2019 9:22 pm

DougE wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:19 pm
True, but an Am MUST have 1.4 index or lower.
And, FWIW, the pros playing today all seem to be better than your average PGA teaching professional, at least the ones I saw. Some big names (as pros in the area go.)

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:28 am

Yeah there is usually one or two assholes with 20 handicaps who declare pro just so they can say that they tried out for the us open.

Last year or the year before some guy shot 118 or something.

The usga blackballs these guys from future usga events, but it doesn't stop different asshats next year.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:44 am

I take it that you decided against offering your services. I have thought about it a few times when USGA amateur qualifying events have been held in the area. When the USGA Women's Amateur was held locally, surprisingly a lot of the contestants used trolleys or carried their own bag. I would have just carried the bag, handed the player the club they asked for, etc... No advice from me.

Ultimately, I decided there would be too much stress (e.g. stepping in someone's line) for -0- pay. Plus the player (or another member of the group) could be a jerk and that would be 5 hours of "fun". I would rather play myself if I am on a golf course for 5 hours.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu May 09, 2019 9:34 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:44 am
I take it that you decided against offering your services.
I didn't decide against it. I let them know in the pro shop that I was available, but no one was looking.

One guy I'm quite friendly with who is a member and carries his own bag when he plays (nearly everyday), has been looping for competitors the last few qualifiers at Worthington and getting paid about $100 for his services per round. He didn't get a bag this year either.

On a side note, for the record, WM is quite a tough course to walk and carry, so I give this guy a lot of props for his daily effort. I don't know anyone else who plays that often and carries their own bag. He's 61 years old to boot. I could do it once, maybe even twice a week, but he does it damn near every single day in temps from 35 to 100 degrees. He is like the Energizer Bunny, and surprisingly, he is probably 30 lbs. overweight. I don't even know how that is possible.