the nyc golf thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

the nyc golf thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:18 pm

This will be an informative thread for people attempting to play/understand golf here in the tri-state metro area. But everyone else also feel free to join in and point fingers and laugh at whatever's going on round here. Believe me, there is plenty.

First item on today's agenda. I walked into my building this morning and was greeted by this:
IMG_6295.jpg
IMG_6295.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 115 times
(Stuytown is the name of this massive, 11,000-unit apartment community on the lower east side of Manhattan. There are no golf facilities here but there are a couple multi-use astroturf playgrounds where I see the same 2-3 old geezers practicing chipping and pitching and shit.)

My reaction was a quick white-hot flash of rage. In that moment I think I felt the totality of why people tend to hate golfers. I am the self-hating golfer. Hey, now there's a blog premise for you. Although arguably that's exactly what my blog was all along. I am surprised that in 2019 someone is attempting to wrangle all the golfers who live in this so-called community. Been living here since '11 and never once got a feeling there were golfers here, besides the aforementioned old guys' chipping club. Then again a community golf club is so apropos now. New York City is freaking dweebtown, has been for at least a decade. We are a melting pot of insipid post-college weenies, particularly out of the midwest. Nowadays it's common on the weekends to see polo shirt bro's in flip-flops and backwards caps schlepping golf bags around the city. We are the Mall of America basically. So to answer your question, no, I will not be joining this club.
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Re: the nyc golf thread

Post by GBOGEY » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:35 am

One thing that I find fascinating (and I think is a related thought) is that in the era of business casual (which is becoming more casual everyday for both good and bad) is the growing popularity of golf shirts. I'm not talking about polo shirts, I mean golf shirts and even golf sweaters/wind shirts. Performance fabrics, brands that are primarily golf related (Footjoy for example) worn by people who might golf once a year at a charity event. IDK, strikes me as strange. I don't normally wear golf shirts to the office unless I'm planning on playing / ranging after work. Maybe it's just me.

I will also remark that my first golf lessons, Intro to Golf, while I was in college was in a modified setting for a few weeks before we went to a real range. Also, I made an "A" in the course.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:51 am

Hey at this rate I play once a year. I like golf shirts, I'm just more comfortable in them. I'm also talking the dryfit kind not the cotton polo
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 pm

The polo shirt is the sartorial equivalent of the mullet hairstyle. An attempt to combine business and casual wear into one convenient item. I hate them and only wear them on the golf course, under protest.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:18 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:03 pm
The polo shirt is the sartorial equivalent of the mullet hairstyle. An attempt to combine business and casual wear into one convenient item. I hate them and only wear them on the golf course, under protest.
To each their own. I wear them nearly every day.They don't need dry-cleaning like a shirt and they look alright (and I don't go to an office anymore!), so why not, is what I say. :fk :yess
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:10 am

sjduffers wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:18 pm
To each their own. I wear them nearly every day.They don't need dry-cleaning like a shirt and they look alright (and I don't go to an office anymore!), so why not, is what I say. :fk :yess
I prefer a well made t-shirt, every single time. (No cheap ass shirts here, no logos, novelty graphics etc. ever)

I do have one polo shirt that I wear of my own accord but it's a long sleeve.

As I have said, the sole redeeming feature of the polo shirt--the neck protection--essentially cannot be utilized lest one be shunned from society. :fu

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:47 am

I'm with sj on this.

I wear a golf shirt basically every day. I have about 3 or 4 t-shirts and 8 or so button down shirts. Even on weekends I wear a golf shirt. I don't like the cotton ones very much though.

My work allows me to wear them.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Polos for me most days around the house and when out and about running errands, but always on the golf course. Always.
Not golfing=typically, cotton pique type.
While golfing=Golf specific tech polos. FJ, Carnoustie, Ashworth, Cutter Buck, etc.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:11 am

How the heck did The NYC Golf thread devolve into a fashion discussion? But when in Rome ... I do not own or wear t-shirts except white undershirts. "Polo" shirts are my standard wear until it gets too could for short sleeves.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:15 am

I think the Beef needs to join the Stuytown Golf Club (provided it is free). More material for discussion. C'mon, think of the rest of us who want to learn first hand how the club operates, who the active members are, etc...
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:38 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:15 am
I think the Beef needs to join the Stuytown Golf Club (provided it is free). More material for discussion. C'mon, think of the rest of us who want to learn first hand how the club operates, who the active members are, etc...
:yess I second that idea!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Hey - I checked out the Stuytown Golf Club site. It's actually decently put together. Membership is free for the inaugural year. They also have a few outings planned for the summer, including bus transportation, which I always here beef griping about. I think beef and ms. beef should join and do at least one outing and then blog about it. Triple dog dare.

p.s. - I swing both ways (t-shirts and polos)
Bluto did it