Incomplete Rounds

GBOGEY

Incomplete Rounds

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 pm

For those of you keeping an active handicap, do you post incomplete rounds per the USGA guidelines. I've done it in the past but usually I played 16 or 17 holes. Today I played 14 holes before a storm cancelled the round. Per the guidelines I should post it but somehow it doesn't feel complete enough.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Incomplete Rounds

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:30 pm

When I did keep a handicap I posted a bunch of 9 hole rounds. You could just post the front 9?
Keep it short stupid.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:19 pm

I do.Most of the time.

I hate using ESC scoring though, because on my course, the last 3 holes are the 6, 4 and 8 handicap holes respectively. I usually feel if I am playing well I can actually par all three, but if I quit after, say, 14, I have to take two pars and two bogeys. I feel cheated. But, when I can't finish, I will post the score and accept the ESC scoring for the remaining holes.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:30 pm
When I did keep a handicap I posted a bunch of 9 hole rounds. You could just post the front 9?
I never post 9 hole scores even when I am supposed to. Most of the time when I go for 9 I expect to be solo for at least part of the round. More often than not I team up for at least a few holes, but the main issue is that when I go for 9 I see it as a practice opportunity, not really in the competitive mindset.
DougE wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:19 pm
I hate using ESC scoring though, because on my course, the last 3 holes are the 6, 4 and 8 handicap holes respectively. I usually feel if I am playing well I can actually par all three, but if I quit after, say, 14, I have to take two pars and two bogeys. I feel cheated. But, when I can't finish, I will post the score and accept the ESC scoring for the remaining holes.
I hate it too but on the current course I feel the opposite. The 17th hole is like the 12th index but harder for me. I feel guilty taking a par there.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:29 pm

As I mentioned a few months ago I never post 9 hole scores, partly because they are almost always solo rounds and partly because when I go to play 9 and only 9 I'm really more in a practice mindset. Then 3 weeks ago I had an extremely strong round going when an unforecasted storm washed out the back 9. Partly because I was pissed that I had lost a golden opportunity to a storm that wasn't supposed to be, I posted that 9. I know handicap rules pretty well but don't know how 9 hole scores work. And I had no idea when I would play another 9 that qualified. In fact since that time I'd played 9 three times, all solo, so no posting.

So today Mrs. Bogey and I went to play one of the harder courses in my rota. I'm having a really strong start and it starts raining on the 8th hole (in truth rain was forecasted this time, just not supposed to be that hard). By the time we got to the 9th tee it's pouring, but I'm determined to finish the 9. Mrs. Bogey said I resembled Caddyshack scene except for no lightning. The rain was so hard my rangefinder couldn't find the pin. Despite the rain I hit an excellent drive, approach, and routine two putt from 25 feet to par the hardest hole on the front. +1 for the front on a course where my target is usually +5 a side.

So naturally I posted this 9 to match the previous 9 and form a round for GHIN purposes. The combined round is a 2.2 differential, which means that this equates to my best 3rd or 4th round. Quite honestly the first 9 I was playing so well that it easily could have turned out to be about my best round. Today was less so and more to do with some really strong putting - but it certainly wasn't bad.

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:38 pm

Good thing you played that last hole and didn't give up due to the rain and then instead, post an ESC score for the last. Since it was the hardest hole on that nine, surely you would be getting a stroke there, so you would have had to post a 5 for the final hole. Either way, still a great nine in less than perfect conditions.

Personally I like to play in the rain. Makes me better, plus it usually keeps the crowds away, and I love to play with no rush or busy-ness going on all over the place, as is often the case on nice weather days. I totally get why Beef likes winter golf.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:27 am

DougE wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:38 pm
Good thing you played that last hole and didn't give up due to the rain and then instead, post an ESC score for the last. Since it was the hardest hole on that nine, surely you would be getting a stroke there, so you would have had to post a 5 for the final hole.
My thinking exactly - I was playing well enough that DB didn't seem to be an option so there was little to lose. On the first 9 a few weeks ago I had to take an ESC score for a hole that is pretty much an easy par unless I 3 putt so that ticked me off the first time as well.

I like playing in a light rain. This was a downpour.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Well done but you don’t need to post an ESC score on a hole not played. Instead it’s par + handicap strokes; or the gross score that gives you a net par. So, instead of a double bogey it would be a bogey on that #1 handicap hole.

Also, you need to play only 7 holes for a 9 to be postable and 13 holes for a full round, with the holes not played filled in as explained above.
I'm gonna go low this time...

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:52 pm

What I meant is that the worst I can do for handicap purposes is DB. Wasn't worried about it given how I was playing.