2019 summer support group

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

2019 summer support group

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:03 am

"The only thing less dignified than an amateur golfer is an amateur golfer laboring in the heat. A schlubby, aging, altogether gross amateur golfer all covered in sweat, leering at the cart girl, topping the ball all over the place."

Find myself needing some support again. Boy, I am really in the dumps this summer. Looking over last year's inaugural summer support, I can observe at least a thin veneer of humor on most of my utterances. But right now, I am feeling no humor towards the current state of things. Maybe I done reversed my poles. We'll see this winter, if I don't require a support group, then we'll know I have completely flipped.

Lately, I am not even down with the long days. I don't like eating dinner while the sun's still out. I like sunlight okay, but I also like night time. Like Bob Dylan once sang, "You know the night time, is the right time, to be with the one you love..." Night time is a time to rest, unwind from the day, enjoy a beverage or two, kick back on the couch etc. Well near the solstice time, we don't actually get to enjoy much of the night. Literally going to bed a scant few hours after sunset. Screw that. I mean, there's nothing to be done about it, I'm just saying, I am no longer gay for long days and late sunsets. It's enough already.

I don't even want to get started on the humidity lately.

If I had unlimited means, perhaps I could split the year between hemispheres, thereby avoiding summer altogether.
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Re: 2019 summer support group

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:22 pm

Come visit - the humidity here is adding 10 degrees to the feels like - Saturday forecast 104!!!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:37 pm

I can't even joke about the humidity anymore. Nobody needs more humidity metaphors similes ("It's like walking into a hot towel blahj blaj blahaahdajdk"). Frankly I don't even want to talk about it, don't even want to think about it. Thank God for air conditioning. I know that A/C is bad for the environment, increases the atmospheric heat etc but I don't care. I don't care about any of this anymore. Talking about society, community, humanity, etc. All that stupid bullshit. Strictly care about my own comfort and happiness. I think it's safe to say we all think like this now. We are all shitty and hopelessly self-centered, not to mention tribal. In other words, society is officially a failed experiment now.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:08 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:22 pm
Come visit - the humidity here is adding 10 degrees to the feels like - Saturday forecast 104!!!
You are about a month late to the party, been there since before Memorial Day.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:00 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:03 am
If I had unlimited means, perhaps I could split the year between hemispheres, thereby avoiding summer altogether.
Presumably your job can be done anywhere there is internet, yes?

NYC from October 1 to March 31... Lima Peru (or Ecuador, Chile, etc ...) from April 1 to September 30. Rent out the apartment for a "great" NYC summer and use it to pay for South America. Use some of that organ between the ears.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:53 am

Actually going to play actual golf on an actual course today. :heynow Been so long since playing golf in the heat. Probably gonna break out in a heat/sun/sweat rash, prickly heat, you name it. Pre-emptively fuck this shit. :thumbdown

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Gonna be hot and sticky and crowded. None of those things agree with you, Beef. I pity the poor fool who gets in your way today.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:46 pm

Hot and sticky to the max, but not crowded. Neshanic Valley is my favorite course now. @GBOGEY knows what I am talking about. I shot a 90 something. 41 on the back nine. Not bad considering I haven't been on a golf course since early May. :puke I hit a couple decent shots, just enough to keep me from thinking about quitting unfortunately.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:20 am

All it takes is one good shot and you'll be back. Thankfully, for all of us here, you had more than one. :up

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:20 am

Finally looked at the scorecard. 52/41. That includes a 10 on the front nine, fuckin shit. Three lost balls on one stupid hole. Pretty wide fairway too. It takes a real man to accept that many penalty strokes. That fourth drive was pounded though. :fkno

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:44 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:46 pm
Hot and sticky to the max, but not crowded. Neshanic Valley is my favorite course now. @GBOGEY knows what I am talking about. I shot a 90 something. 41 on the back nine. Not bad considering I haven't been on a golf course since early May. :puke I hit a couple decent shots, just enough to keep me from thinking about quitting unfortunately.
Love and miss Neshanic. Only issue is you feel out of place if you try to walk but it is walkable.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Shoutout to everyone in a heat wave. We are looking at a *low* of 90-something for the next few days. Extreme humidity. Blackouts anticipated. :onfire

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Might as well embrace it and go play golf. The Neshanic clubhouse is air conditioned for after the round.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Dangerous hot now. Hundred and teens for the past couple days. Night time brings no relief either. Fuck. I just went to the gym then a quick bike ride and jog out in the heat. For a few minutes at a time, it feels kind of good. Why not.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:00 pm

I need to mow, but the feels like temp is 125.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:24 am

Why is everyone so depressed. I am not scolding here, I am genuinely concerned, and I am here to listen. Only when you are ready, obviously. Fuck this shit.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:09 am

Not depressed at all. Loving the game and trying my damnedest to push through a painful injury that really needs rest to heal, just because I don't want to lose what has been working so well for me of late. I am actually playing some great golf; some of the best of my golf life. But, it gets old talking about it all here, since so few really seem to be that interested in golf. I wish that weren't the case, and you know I have often tried to generate discussions here, but there is such lackluster response, my interest level goes flat. I check in here every single day, at least a few times a day. Typically, nothing happening. Days go by without a new post or response to a post. And half the time when there is something new, it isn't even golf related. I like to discuss golf. I don't know what to do to light a fire here. But, I'm still here, hoping, for something, anything, to spark some interest.

Fuck this shit, too; my sentiments exactly.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:30 pm

I like your golf posts Doug.

I golf vicariously through you. I do know you made a commitment to give us a hole by hole photo tour of your club, and I don't believe you finished the tour. I think you should keep doing that. Knowing there are no courses near me that look as nice as yours, along with a slew of other excuses makes me not interested in my own golf game. That said I am still interested in other people's golf antics. I want to know how you are doing, so I have something to aspire to when I grow up. I want to know what jackass beef nearly got in a fight with etc.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:00 pm

I am very keen on Doug posts too. Probably the most golf-interesting stuff on here. Go ahead and post a round-by-round, shot-by-shot, minute-by-minute, whatever. That's the beauty of messageboard IMO, there's no captive audience, nobody gets the floor to themselves ever, nobody is ever forced to look at anything they don't want to, ever. Otherwise I would have driven everyone away by now with my stupid shit.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:03 pm

Weather check time. After the heat wave of last week, the weather is actually like, perfect right now. Oh yay, five hour golf rounds for everyone.

Yesterday I caught myself daydreaming about winter golf.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Played solo, uninspired golf today. After my 77 yesterday with my regular golf buddy, today was kind of boring. But, played 18 in 2 hours and 15 minutes, without rushing at all. Kind of a blah round, but still respectable. Shot 81. After the round was over, another buddy came along and wanted me to go out to play a couple holes with him before he had to start teaching this kids' program which takes place here on Thursday nights. My left elbow was already really throbbing and quite painful after my round, but I figured a couple more holes wouldn't make it that much worse. So I went with him. We played the two, difficult opening holes. I went par, par. He went bogey, bogey. That was the highlight of my 20 holes today. The other 18 bored me except for the one birdie I made on the par 3, 6th, playing 178 today from the blue tees. Hit it to 5 ft.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:58 pm

I don't know how you do it with the elbow. Since my issues I've played 1 round of golf and maybe picked up a golf club 6 days total. I'm just now getting back to where I'd feel comfortable playing frequently if I wanted to.

I guess I'm just not man enough to deal with tennis elbow.
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:36 pm

I'm playing this Sunday. Considering keeping score manually on paper until such time as I've broken 80, whenever that occurs. It's hot here too.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:57 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:58 pm
I don't know how you do it with the elbow. Since my issues I've played 1 round of golf and maybe picked up a golf club 6 days total. I'm just now getting back to where I'd feel comfortable playing frequently if I wanted to.

I guess I'm just not man enough to deal with tennis elbow.
This is the OTHER elbow I'm dealing with now. Not the one that I was dealing with last winter (which is still sore sometimes). This one started bothering me a few weeks back. If I weren't playing so well right now, I would definitely be taking some time off. I have been scoring in the 70s from the blue tees (at 6525 yds./137 slope) quite regularly lately. And, even when I don't score well, I usually still play well, but just get some bad bounces and/or bad luck. Yet, my elbow is really bad---as bad as it's ever been---and I'm only making it worse by playing. I'm painfully aware of that.

I am going to take tomorrow off, though. I need the elbow to calm down a little. There's a big outing tomorrow, so it seems like a good day to rest it. Gotta mow my back 40 anyway. (Alright, so it's not really a back 40, but it's two acres of mow-able lawn. 2-3 hours to mow and trim, even on a SCAG commercial-grade zero-turn mower. But, I digress.) Been icing heavily and loading up on the Advil daily, but it really needs a little rest. I have to remind myself that I'm not 35 years old anymore and I just played my 110th round of 2019. I suppose that makes me somewhat of a tough old geezer-golfer, but I'm not ready to give into my advancing age just yet. So if the elbow is still attached, I'm playing at least a few more rounds before July runs out.

I know, I'm rambling again. Sorry.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:22 am

I'm playing Saturday just before the Portage County Amateur starts, so the pins will be in tough spots. But today, I'm taking my son to Kennywood for a day of roller coasters and crowds.
Throw me another ball will ya!