2019 summer support group

srogers13

Re: 2019 summer support group

Post by srogers13 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:40 pm

My god, a weekend in July with the dewpoints in the 60s in Hellabama? That is like stealing.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:11 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:57 pm
So if the elbow is still attached, I'm playing at least a few more rounds before July runs out.
That's what I'm talking about motherfuckers :fk
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:15 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:57 pm
...it's two acres of mow-able lawn.
:bawl

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:16 pm

srogers13 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:40 pm
My god, a weekend in July with the dewpoints in the 60s in Hellabama? That is like stealing.
Why does it feel like everyone except the west coast is all having the same weather lately

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:42 pm

Weather has moderated, courses have dried out, life is good here in the Mitten.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:52 am

It seems I've been taking more days off than I'm playing (though actually, probably not). My elbow is not good. I am sure I am doing it no favors by playing at all. Frustrating. I was playing some good golf until a week or so ago, when it really started to bother me. So much so that I knew it would hurt when addressing the ball on every swing. Consequently, I'm sure my subconscious mind tried to protect it, ultimately affecting the effectiveness of the swing. My official MSGA index dipped below 5 (4.9) for the first time ever. Not bad for an old guy who only hits it 225-235 off the tee. But, since the pain has worsened, I can clearly see my game is not as sharp. Unless this injury miraculously heals itself in the next week or so (which I realize is a pipe dream), it may end up being the last time I ever see my index this low. Shot an 85 on Thursday. Poor, yes, but at least I have an excuse now. :bawl

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:49 am

DougE wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:52 am
... when it really started to bother me. So much so that I knew it would hurt when addressing the ball on every swing. Consequently, I'm sure my subconscious mind tried to protect it, ultimately affecting the effectiveness of the swing..
Bummer. Your game has never been better but maybe it is time to rest a bit. I have had ailments where my body reminds me prior to a swing, "this is gonna hurt." Nothing good ever comes after that subconscious warning.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:46 pm

That is some miserable shit Doug. Been there. Back, knee, etc. Knee surgery last December worked out. No pain and playing pretty well. Index way up at a 10.3 but who gives a damn. I play so much with no practice I can’t expect a low index nor do I worry about it.
Tee it up!

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:16 pm

@@DougE give it (the elbow) a rest, will you? I know how painful it is to be looking at your golf clubs in your garage and not being able to use them for an extended period of time, but I believe that is the wise course of action at this point, lest you make it (much?) worse... Take a few weeks off and come back stronger!
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:43 am

Maybe playing left-handed will alleviate the issue! :up

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:35 am

Yep. It's official. I'm in my annual mid-summer slump. Elbow and thoracic back are affecting my game. Down to playing intermittently, whenever pain isn't too bad. Haven't played more than two days in a row all month. Not even bothering to keep score right now. Mostly playing solo and just hitting shots. My index hasn't changed since the last update of 4.9 only because I haven't posted any new scores this month.

On the plus side, my new website is coming along nicely, since I've had so much more free time lately. Going live soon. I've been writing a lot of copy for it. Way too much for this day and age, actually. No one will read it all. But, the site is FOR my writing work, so there is a lot of it. I'd still rather be playing good golf right now. I might try again today. Woe is me.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:50 am

My wife has had a lot of elbow issues as I have recently (Tennis elbow from playing tennis - doesn't hurt to golf). You need to do the following:
  • Give it a complete rest for 1-2 weeks and probably cut back after that for a few more weeks.
  • Find some exercises / stretches on the internet and do them at least twice a day - I have good tennis elbow stretches if you have that instead of golfer's elbow
  • Ice for 20 minutes after every round
From what I understand, it takes 6-8 weeks for these things to heal and you feel somewhat normal and up to a year to be completely healed.

On the flip side, I don't understand the summer slump reference. It seems magically I play better every July and August - not sure if it's number of rounds or I like heat more than I think. Last 5 rounds have been top notch with the unfortunate consequence that two were unexpected solo rounds so they don't help the handicap.

Yesterday had the tale of two nines - front 9 about as bad as I've played this year, +6, only memorable points were two tough wedges that lead to two 8 foot par saves. Back 9 as good as I can play, -2, only forgettable were the three greens I barely missed, two by landing near the pin and rolling off the back. Got up and down all three times with tasty chips to 5, 2, and 3 feet respectively. I was on fire.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:45 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:50 am
My wife has had a lot of elbow issues as I have recently (Tennis elbow from playing tennis - doesn't hurt to golf). You need to do the following:
  • Give it a complete rest for 1-2 weeks and probably cut back after that for a few more weeks.
  • Find some exercises / stretches on the internet and do them at least twice a day - I have good tennis elbow stretches if you have that instead of golfer's elbow
  • Ice for 20 minutes after every round
From what I understand, it takes 6-8 weeks for these things to heal and you feel somewhat normal and up to a year to be completely healed.

... I don't understand the summer slump reference....
I have been doing specific stretches for the elbow.
I have been icing after every round, usually 2-3Xs over a 2-3 hour period, depending on how bad it feels.
I have been taking 1-2 days off between rounds, but rest for a week or two? Don't be ridiculous! :fk

As far as the summer slump reference, I usually always over do it and then go into a slump each summer for a few weeks. I think this may be that time. Certainly, the elbow isn't helping my game any.

As far as your game, Phil, I'm just happy I don't have to play a match against you right now. You'd kick my ass. I've been jealous of all those great rounds that I have seen you post on the Grint. Thankfully, there is no LegitimateGolf get together in the works. I'd be shaking in my boots DryJoys.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:22 pm

DougE wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:45 am
As far as your game, Phil, I'm just happy I don't have to play a match against you right now. You'd kick my ass. I've been jealous of all those great rounds that I have seen you post on the Grint.
Just remember that a lot of those scores are on a par 70 low slope course (114). I always have to remind myself of which course I'm playing as my target score for the two more frequent is around 78 but the target for the other two courses I really like is 82. Big difference in perspective. Still it's nice when a bad round 79 still breaks 80.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:43 pm

Heat advisory until tomorrow night. FTS. Feels like I'm not so much living life as waiting for summer to be over.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:41 am

What the hell is the matter with you all. I'm not scolding or anything, just wondering why everyone is acting all depressed lately, as if they don't give a shit about golf or life in general. Speak up. There is nothing wrong whatsoever with admitting you have a problem.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:51 am

I just think I golfed myself out. I was trying to see how good I could get, but I didn't have enough time to play. So I realized I couldn't get where I wanted and trying to improve yet failing was no fun. So I basically quit. That said I'm already looking forward to some 2.5 hour winter rounds. That might end if I go out and shoot 96 though
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 pm

I'm in the worst slump I've had in awhile. Haven't posted an official score since early August. I haven't really been keeping score. I have just been out working on issues. Driver swing fell apart. My mid-back is sore. Probably too much golf. It's affecting my ability to drive through the ball. It's now trickling down into all my long clubs. In fact, it has affected my confidence on all shots. I'm in one of those "ready to give up golf" modes.

Waiting for my new Titleist T200 irons to arrive, but everything is backed up due to the amount of orders in the queue after all the pre-release hype. My Pro just checked the status yesterday and put a "PRIORITY" on them, so I would bet I'll get them early next week. Frankly, I don't even care that they are not in my hands yet. I suck right now and don't want to put any pressure on the new irons to fix it, then be disappointed in the results. I want my game back before I start playing the new irons.

So I am taking a few days off after playing 8 of the first 10 days in September. My back needs a rest. I can deal with the tendinitis in my elbow or the discomfort in my shoulders, but back pain really affects the swing. I also think I may have to get some outside instructional help soon if I can't solve it myself.

How does this happen? A month and a half ago, I was so confident standing over the ball, no matter what the lie or club, feeling so sure I was going to hit it well. And now, I am afraid of what the result might be before I swing. Mostly with driver, but my whole swing with all clubs feels foreign right now. I guess I'm just in one of those dark places. I'll figure things out sooner or later. In the meantime, I don't have much to say about my golf. Nothing good anyway.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Ha ha, thanks for sharing guys. Fish, you are probably going to become a golfing polar bear like me. It's not such a bad life. Maybe I have lost my marbles but I prefer it. Doug I honestly think you would benefit from heavy weightlifting slash powerlifting. It's not just about muscles, it's probably as much about joint and tendon strength. Also flexibility, balance, breathing, concentration, confidence, everything goddamnit. You heard of these things called horomones? Testosterone? Lifting heavy weights makes you produce more. And age does not matter that much, don't give me any of that crap. As long as one is able enough to, y'know lift the weight (and not like, get crushed under it) then they are Doing it, and they will benefit.

Shit, I'm all worked up now.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:46 pm

I'm playing more golf than I ever have. Like every weekend. I think I'm getting better w/ short game/putting and playing more frequently helps alleviate the 'FOMO'-like pressure that I have to make the score count. My goal was to break 80 this year. I think it will happen, just gotta be patient.

Still working out some kinks in the swing.
Bluto did it

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:05 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 pm
Fish, you are probably going to become a golfing polar bear like me.
I really enjoy the cold weather golf. Specially right after the first gold snap, the ground isn't muddy the grass is still grass.

But I like it not because of the cold, I like playing golf fast. I've come to the opinion there is no reason for a round to take more than 4 hours assuming it's 4 people. This 4:15 and 4:30 recommend time some courses have is just bull shit. 4 hours is golf and 3.5 for a 3 some.
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:27 am

My Uncle is here for 2 weeks but I'm sneaking out tomorrow morning to play 18 and I have the family tournament on Sunday.
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:53 am

jasonfish11 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:05 pm
I really enjoy the cold weather golf. Specially right after the first gold snap, the ground isn't muddy the grass is still grass.

But I like it not because of the cold, I like playing golf fast. I've come to the opinion there is no reason for a round to take more than 4 hours assuming it's 4 people. This 4:15 and 4:30 recommend time some courses have is just bull shit. 4 hours is golf and 3.5 for a 3 some.
I am not ready for winter yet. Not because I like the heat - hell this is the hottest September I have ever experienced with heat indexes still over 100 - but the shorter days depress me. I LOVE getting out for 9 after work 1-2 days per week. That has been a fabulous part of the move. I think I have about two more weeks of after work 9 before daylight becomes an issue. Saddens me.

It's funny, but I have become a fan of two different types of golf speeds. There's leisurely rounds, playing with 2-3 other people usually on the weekends, where it takes 4 hours, maybe 4:15 - pace doesn't bother me at all as long as it's not really slow. And then there's the solo / solo + 1 round where I yes I don't want to wait at all. And yes, as I become older / more seasoned I grow more and more frustrated over unnecessary slow play.

Maybe for another topic but my views on slow play have changed since moving here. Play here is definitely faster. One aspect could be my home course is easier, but I think it's better pace on harder courses as well. I don't think that public golfers are better here - in fact I think they are worse - but I have noticed is that they are much more willing to play shorter tees. The big factor, in my opinion, is that the courses are just less crowded, even during peak times, and it's clear to me that the courses that do play slower here are packing tee times every 7-8 minutes instead of 10. Food for thought.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:17 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:53 am
I am not ready for winter yet. Not because I like the heat - hell this is the hottest September I have ever experienced with heat indexes still over 100 - but the shorter days depress me. I LOVE getting out for 9 after work 1-2 days per week. That has been a fabulous part of the move. I think I have about two more weeks of after work 9 before daylight becomes an issue. Saddens me.
My feelings are changing. Lately I don't like summer solstice time. Because too much daylight. Burns me out. Don't particularly like having dinner while squinting in the sunlight.

On the flip side I'm not minding winter solstice time as much. The darkest days are early December, but that's also when you have holiday cheer, and presents and shit, to get you through everything. Once you make it to the 21st--which is not that deep into wintertime--every day after that gets better.

I am telling you people, getting depressed over winter time is mostly a conditioned response from back when people would get scared come every December that the sun was disappearing for good. We know better by now! And also we have electricity, and hot beverages anytime, and microfiber thermal underwears, and Patagonia jackets. Winter shminter.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:40 pm

I also don't mind 'leisurely' weekend rounds, however I believe that there's a difference between a weekend round starting at 6:52am and one starting at 10:20am. The group that I've been golfing with religiously books tee times at 7am or before, so there are usually only a handful of groups in front of us. In general the groups that book the earliest weekend rounds (darkness for first couple of holes) are lightning fast players that want to get done quickly.

If you tee off at 10, you're fucked, because the probability of 1 or more snail groups comes into play and the snails don't like to get up at the crack of dawn.

If you're with a regular group (foursome or even 5-some (we have a lot of courses that allow 5)), then the round takes 4:20 on average and it's fine, since you're among friends and often playing a friendly competitive round or something.

For solo rounds, yeah, you want to go fast and waiting sucks.

Also, unfortunately, I live in a region where a-holes often don't play the appropriate tees, but at least when you're with a group of friends, you can mock and ridicule them together as they skull tee shots 75 yards from the blues.
Bluto did it