2019 Fall Support Group Thread

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

2019 Fall Support Group Thread

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Soon as the calendar turned to November the weather followed right on cue. Yesterday, Halloween, was wet, stuffy and humid. Today is cool, dry and windy. Enough so that I got the brilliant idea to go to Dyker Beach in Brooklyn.

Course was full, people on every hole. Maybe there weren't that many people, and play was just super slow. Mine certainly was. Today was clear skies and bright sun. The grass is still late spring deep forest green, and lush. Both the rough and the fairway, since it's been warm and wet lately. And of courses dead leaves everywhere. With the sun fairly low in the sky, I had the hardest time ever trying to locate balls on the ground. Something is going on here. Never seen the turf so thick and vibrant during dead leaf season. Even from five paces away in the fairway the ball was difficult to make out.

I got spooked. Between the conditions and the crowds, I'm not even going to think about going back to the golf course for a while, and until it gets really cold. Golf may be dying in most of the world, but not in NYC. Business appears to be quite wonderful. #FTS
Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Re: 2019 Fall Support Group Thread

Post by DougE » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:40 pm

Yeah, I hear you. It was 55 degrees yesterday, but felt like 45 with the wind. It did not deter enough golfers.

I played after 3pm, thinking I could get around quickly, not expecting the course to be so busy. I jumped around, but there were very few holes open on which to jump to, so I got frustrated and quit after playing 10 or 11 holes, a couple of which I played twice. I am willing to play in the cold and I am willing to play on a somewhat busy course, but I am NOT willing to do both at the same time.

So, for now, I'll likely limit my play to mostly midweek, when more of those yahoos are working. My weekend golf, or at least a full 18 on weekends, will have to wait until a few more of the non-hearty souls decide to put their clubs away for the season. (I'll still sneak in a few weekend 9s until then, for sure.)

Still hoping for another 20-25 days of golf in 2019. I'm only at 168 rounds so far, so breaking 200 seems out of reach this year. However, if I count all the days I'm just out on the course practicing, I'd probably be closer to 250 already. One way or another, I certainly take full advantage of my all-inclusive membership. If I run the numbers, I figure it cost me about $9 a day to be out there playing in 2019, and that even includes about 20 rounds where I payed a full rate at "away" courses in the area, as well as those I played in Florida.

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:03 pm

We sort of jumped from highs in the 60's to highs in the 40's. Weather has been generally shitty. I have had a bit of trouble with slow groups. Today I had to watch every shot of a twosome until they let me through on #6. Then had to play 14 to 18 and then 10 to 13. The solace of having to juggle the holes was driving home while those groups on the back nine had notplayed #16 yet.

Oh yes, shot 76. :yess
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:56 pm

At least you were playing. Tweaked my back Saturday morning, first time in years, and did not play despite it being absolutely perfect weather.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:05 pm

How's everyone's turf? I was taken aback at how healthy the grass in Brooklyn looked last Friday. Not even close to dormant. That could change quickly I suppose but in any case, winter coverage should be great.

I am actually worrying now that conditions in general, will be a little too good this winter.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 pm

Our turf is as good as ever right now. Fairways and greens are lush. Rough is thick. That will all change soon as the winter air becomes more prevalent. October and early November always seem to offer some of the best conditions of the year, but then, poof, they are gone. If the damn wind would let up a bit, I could really enjoy these next couple weeks.

On another note related to the cooler temps, I'm feeling more pain again in places that have been quiet for the most part over the summer. Both shoulders, one elbow, one hip. I had barely iced any of them for at least a few months. I was gonna ice my shoulders after today's round in the wind, but just popped 3 Advil. And the skin on most of my fingers has already cracked in about 10 places. I'm back to a golf glove on my left hand and medical tape and/or Bandaids all over the fingers on my right hand. It's a pain in the ass to have to deal with before every round, but if I don't tape them, they split worse.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:35 pm

I might have spoke too soon. Friday is supposed to top out at an icy 41°. Already I am getting a little excited.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Turf is lush but soft and often muddy. Greens generally a bit slower but not fuzzy yet. Our 10 day forecast has highs in the 30's and there is talk of a bit of snow on the grassy areas.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:48 am

I played Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week (and 6 of the first 7 days of November). Conditions were great, but still too many people. There was no one there yesterday (Friday) as the temps dropped into the 20s overnight and the wind picked up. Felt about 32 midday yesterday, so I stayed home and finally painted the crown molding I installed last February. (Finding time for that project had been difficult....ya know, like uh, with all the golf I had to play all year.) It's cold today too, though not AS cold or windy. I'm sure the crowd will be back, so I'm taking my wife to the movies later, instead. (Going to see "Midway.") Two days off in a row.

It's supposed to be mid-high 50s tomorrow/Sunday and sunny. Hopefully half the crowd will be home watching the NFL and I'll be able to sneak in an afternoon 9+ or even 18. I'm sure by then I'll forget everything in my swing that was working so well over the past week.

On a serious note, I am a bit concerned about my SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) symptoms coming on so early this year. The clocks changed back just last week and I am already in what seems to be the full-blown mode. God, I really hate this time of year. Between the bullshit holiday crap in your eyes and ears all day wherever you go, plus the cold, the dark and the boring, if I don't get in a few rounds of golf each week with no one in my way out there, I just may blow.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Fuck this shit.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:09 pm

DougE wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:48 am
On a serious note, I am a bit concerned about my SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) symptoms coming on so early this year. The clocks changed back just last week and I am already in what seems to be the full-blown mode. God, I really hate this time of year. Between the bullshit holiday crap in your eyes and ears all day wherever you go, plus the cold, the dark and the boring, if I don't get in a few rounds of golf each week with no one in my way out there, I just may blow.
Try to embrace the dark side of life IMO.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:49 am

Fall golf is currently suspended. We had 9-10 inches of snow yesterday. No immediate warm up is forecast. I did go out and play my Winter home course, Fox Hills Classic last weekend, twice. It was cold but playable walking.Always surprising how briskly walking warms one up so 36 degrees seems nice.

I got home from golf around 1:30 and immediately grabbed the rake. Cleared our whole yard and created some large piles on the sidewalk right-for-way for later disposal. "Later" may be April.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Sorry Bri. I feel your pain. In my naivete I was expecting mild climes for all of USA this year. That's what the farmer's almanac said anyway. I am still hopeful for you. 👊🏼

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Been snowing all afternoon. Just on grass so far. 33* right now. A little early this season.
Tee it up!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Below freezing here which is shocking for November. But it will be above 50 by weekend.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:24 am

Going out today, around 40 degrees. Don't know what to expect from either myself or the course. :puke

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Had a 75* day today. No wait since we were the first group out.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:44 pm

The snow has been gone for the past week. I played twice last weekend and a very enjoyable round with my buddies last Tuesday. A local course was letting carts out (my buddies only cart). We were the first out at 9:30 and never saw anyone. The sun came out and temps climbed into the low fifties. We all struck the ball mostly decently. I managed a 79. Then today, I toured Washtenaw Golf Club for a decent 80 while walking solo. First day of December and I am walking the course without a jacket. :thumbs
Let's Play 36

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:51 pm

BTW, that makes 58 straight months of golf in Michigan. The Mitten's weather is always a challenge but we keep finding small windows in the weather to get a round in.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:14 pm

58 straight months is remarkable both for Michigan golf, and for any golfer period. :up

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:45 pm

I go back to January of 2007 as the last time I did not play a round in any given month, 155 months. Open for visitors.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:27 pm

A big problem for golf in these parts right now is fallen leaves. The course looks like late October condition. Rough still thick, fairways still a deep shade of green, greens still smooth and fast.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:59 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:27 pm
A big problem for golf in these parts right now is fallen leaves.
Crap I wish that was the big problem here. For shits and giggles I pulled into the course across from where I live the weekend before last. It was a balmy 52* with 10-15mph winds and the parking lot was nearly full. The problem here is too many golfers. Although I'm sure there are downed leaves too.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:15 pm

Leaves are not much of a problem at my course, since there are very few trees that drop them close to areas of play. And they continue to cut down more and more trees each year, opening up sight lines, which I like in some places and not in others. But that's another story. What's really tough right now is the wind. With few trees for protection, the wind is extra strong on the course.

I should have used my cart cover today, but I was too lazy to put it on. It felt about 20 degrees out there. Actual temp was about 40-41. Wind was constant at 20+ mph. Gusts close to 30. Tough day. Surprisingly, I played fairly well in spite of it. My swing was very efficient. Had great ball speed through the wind. If I could feel my fingers, might have hit it even better. Only disappointment was my putting. Greens getting a bit furry and I have not adjusted to the slower speed well. Will try again tomorrow.

Ordered a new cart heater yesterday. It showed up this afternoon after I got back from the course. Amazon. $47.99. Supposed to be same weather tomorrow as today. I think I'll break the cart cover out for the first time this year, tomorrow, and fire up the new heater too. Maybe I'll play even better than today. At least I'll be more comfortable.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:57 pm

Cart cover? Cart Heater? Who has hacked DougE's account?