Stocks, Mutual Funds or ETF's? Hedge Funds? Real Estate - Where Do You Invest?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Stocks, Mutual Funds or ETF's? Hedge Funds? Real Estate - Where Do You Invest?

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:55 pm

Where do you invest your money?

Being older, I have tended to invest in stocks rather than mutual funds and ETF's. As time went on, I got more into mutual funds to help diversify into foreign equities and small/mid-cap stocks. I have never really embraced ETF's. Maybe when I am older and wiser I will add EFT's. We hold a few individual municipal bonds and some bond funds but I am not excited about bonds, especially in this low rate environment.

Of course, some of our high rollers may be investing in real estate, hedge funds, gold, etc... We have some money in a REIT but essentially our real estate portfolio is our house.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: Stocks, Mutual Funds or ETF's? Hedge Funds? Real Estate - Where Do You Invest?

Post by jasonfish11 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Bitcoin
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Re: Stocks, Mutual Funds or ETF's? Hedge Funds? Real Estate - Where Do You Invest?

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:25 am

In honesty I have a ton to say on this subject and love talking to people about investing because I've been very interested in investing and subsequently quitting the standard work before the age of 40 since I started working.

That said I think a few people on here know that I work for a mutual fund company and my work is actually really big into not providing advice, they work with advisers and not individual investors. So they are extremely sensitive to employees providing advice. Given that I probably have to add the disclaimer that any advice on here is 100% my own advice and not that of my company. Also note that none of my comments are recommended for advice & guidance, they are simply my thoughts on the subject.

Now that the lame legal disclaimer is out of the way...

I have at least some money in the following items:
Mutual funds*
ETFs
Gold
Bitcoin
Poker

*Split between large cap, mid cap, small cap, domestic, euro, Asia/pacific, and emerging countries.

Overall I feel people are too risk averse. If you aren't investing in something that has a minimum of 5% return (preferably 7%+ if you are still generating income), you aren't doing yourself any favors. The issue people have with 7%+ returns is they are scared by the volatility. If you look at the S&P 500 since 1930, it's generated around 8% annually, but for just under 40% of the years it's either up or down more than 20% for that year. People freak out when they lose 20% of their net worth. But high volatility is necessary for high returns (unless you're Bernie Madoff). Less volatile items return less money due to a higher demand for low volatility. Obviously not recommending throwing everything into 1 stock, or bitcoin or something as the risk of ruin is way too high. But investing in muni-bonds, US treasuries, or something of that nature is just financial suicide (unless you enjoy working until you are really old).

Also, a small tangent that frustrates me when people claim their house as a real-estate investment. Having 1 house is simply just paying money for a place to live. There is 0 investing aspect of this. The only way a single home that you live in (and don't rent out a portion) could be an investment is if you plan to sell that home and not buy another one at a later time. Or you are speculating that houses prices in your area will outpace house prices in other areas, and your plan is to sell and move to one of the "depressed" markets in the future. If these aren't the reasons you bought a house, then you're house is not an investment it's just shelter.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:36 pm

I'd invest in just about anything @bkuehn1952 or @jasonfish11 recommended.*

*this statement is for informational purposes only, you should not construe any such information or other material as legal, tax, investment, financial, or other advice.
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:39 pm

Except for the bitcoin. That seems far too volatile even for a jasonfish type investor.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:40 pm

I've been tracking Apple (AAPL) since the summer and in that time it's up like 30%. What the fuck.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:05 pm

I guess to be fair BTC is more functional than investing for me. It makes online poker transactions a lot easier.
Keep it short stupid.