Grocery Shopping & Corona Virus

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Grocery Shopping & Corona Virus

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:36 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm
Stupid question: doesn't being short of food lead to better handling being short of TP? I mean, there should be less need for it, no? :fk :facepalm
Hard to say. You might still have X number of daily trips to the john, just less volume each time. Don't want to get too detailed but in my experience a good BM necessitates minimal TP regardless of size :facepalm
Build a bridge and get over it.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:36 pm
sjduffers wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm
Stupid question: doesn't being short of food lead to better handling being short of TP? I mean, there should be less need for it, no? :fk :facepalm
Hard to say. You might still have X number of daily trips to the john, just less volume each time. Don't want to get too detailed but in my experience a good BM necessitates minimal TP regardless of size :facepalm
To some extent, but I would think that daily trips might not even be in the picture, under food rationing... Then of course, all it would take is a newly found rare food item to ingest to throw off all that balance and create a messy BM, undermining all those TP savings! :o
I'm gonna go low this time...

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:56 pm

Truly we are living on the edge.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:56 pm

Vote Bidet 2020
Everything Sucks

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:48 pm

Just came back from a survival, I mean Costco, shopping trip. They now have senior hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the first hour of the day (8-9am). When I got there, around 7:40, the line of (old) folks with their carts was going on for about 3/4 of the whole building, and you know how big those buildings are. We all got in shortly before 8:00 and it was actually better than usual. It felt less crowded, people were (a little) more aware and no line to speak of to check out. The store was well stocked, a few items were listed as missing/not available at the entrance, but nothing I needed: there were plenty of paper towels (it seems like every cart had one huge pack in it), but I didn't see any TP, not that I was looking for it. Thumbs up, Costco!

ETA: Shopping during senior hours really made me feel old. :facepalm :fk

Correction: the store was well stocked, not less stocked like I wrote initially. Subconscious slip?
Last edited by sjduffers on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:53 pm

sjduffers wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:48 pm
Just came back from a survival, I mean Costco, shopping trip. They now have senior hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the first hour of the day (8-9am). When I got there, around 7:40, the line of (old) folks with their carts was going on for about 3/4 of the whole building, and you know how big those buildings are. We all got in shortly before 8:00 and it was actually better than usual. It felt less crowded, people were (a little) more aware and no line to speak of to check out. The store was less stocked, a few items were listed as missing/not available at the entrance, but nothing I needed: there were plenty of paper towels (it seems like every cart had one huge pack in it), but I didn't see any TP, not that I was looking for it. Thumbs up, Costco!

ETA: Shopping during senior hours really made me feel old. :facepalm :fk
Hard not to think about TP lately. I mean, we are well stocked, but I'm still thinking about it constantly. What kind of life is this.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:37 pm

I have plenty of TP, but on last roll of paper towels, and my store's still out. Still no dried beans either. Everything else seems to gradually be replenishing.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:58 pm

I have brought the ice cream shop to my freezer. Today's flavors:

-mint chocolate chip
-strawberry
-chocolate peanut butter
-banana peanut butter chip
-vanilla swiss almond
-rum raisin

That's not a bad selection!!
Duke of Hazards wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:37 pm
I have plenty of TP, but on last roll of paper towels, and my store's still out. Still no dried beans either. Everything else seems to gradually be replenishing.
We are rationing PTs too now. I don't ever use a whole sheet anymore. Tear off a tiny piece at a time, then use the hell out of it. Napkins too, using half at time. :facepalm Depression-era survivors often told of standing in bread lines. We are going to tell tales about peeling apart the layers of 2-ply.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:50 pm

I brought my dog to the community park a few hours ago, for a little exercise. On the drive over I had a couple licorice-flavored, gummy bear-type candies.

"Yeah, so what?," you ask.

When we got out of the truck, my pup quickly did her business. Being the responsible dad that I am, I got a poop bag out and picked it up, just like I always do. I was certain my hands never came anywhere near the poo. (I have a system that protects me from that.) I then went to the nearest trash can, picked up the lid and dropped the poo bag in. There was a piece of licorice still stuck between two teeth. I unconsciously stuck the nail of my right pinky into my mouth to clear it. The instant I did that, I realized where my hands had just been. No silly, it wasn't the poo I was worried about. It was the garbage can lid! Who knows how many people might have touched that thing before me, who could have Coronavirus! Now I'm freaking out. :fk

For the record, my whole county has over a quarter of a million people in it. We were up to 22 cases of Coronavirus confirmed as of today (up from one sole case earlier in the week). There were only two cars in the parking lot near the garbage can, and very very little trash in the can---maybe a couple other dog poo bags from earlier in the day. Should I be worried? :breaking

The above stats (250,000+ people/22 confirmed cases) seem to indicate that, despite touching the lid, my odds of contact with the virus were quite slim. But, on the other hand, I have holed out from a steep-faced fairway bunker, from over 155 yards out, for an eagle. I'm sure those odds were even slimmer. So,...shit! :facepalm

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:13 pm

Posted inadvertently
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:02 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:13 pm
Posted inadvertently
WTF I could've swore that last night you were telling Doug everything's gonna be okay. What happened :oh

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:01 pm

I didn't go out and panic-buy everything when the news came down. I already panic-had everything on hand!

I've been eating Ghetto Ghoulash for many of my meals lately. It's a roux-bassed casserole made with mirepoix, pasta or rice, your meat of choice, and whichever vegetables I have on hand. Staples for the win!

Tonight, though, I'm going to try a corn and scallion risotto to go with the filet mignon I currently have absorbing some salt.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:13 pm

Oh, and I also want to point out that the next person who accosts me for "taking more than I need" while I'm at the store is going to get a fucking bullet right in the middle of the fucking face. I'm not dealing with this shit anymore. I step out once in two weeks to get some freaking rice, olive oil, and flour..….

(actually, the real reason I left the house...I've been self-quarantined since about March 6. I had to go into work over the weekend to pick up the paperwork that authorizes me to be out if martial law is declared)

Fry's had rice on sale. Five two-pound bags for $5.99. It was a great deal. I picked up five two-pound bags of jasmine and five two-pound bags of Arborio rice. Dude in the checkout aisle was all passive aggressive. "Gosh, they are out of jasmine rice. Sure would be nice if some folks would share."

When I got down to the Arborio rice, I think the guy was going to have an aneurysm. Because I had five two-pound bags of hat as well.

Yeah. I bought 20 pounds of rice. It will last me a few months.

It was on freaking sale.

The dude was like "You going to leave some rice in the store for the rest of us?" as he stepped threateningly towards me.

To which I responded, "Sir, I'm going to have to politely ask you to back off. You are standing way too close to me right now."

Maybe it was in the way I twitched when I said it? Maybe he saw the bulge in my jacket?

I dunno. I just know that I'm not leaving the house without a piece until this all blows over.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:45 pm

Whoa OBK. Shit is crazy. I know you're good for the next few months but next time maybe try an Asian supermarket. Over there rice comes in 15-20lb bags, and nobody gives you shit for buying rice. 😑

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Well, think about the 70 years old behind you that would like just one two-pounds bag of rice and can't find any because 5 guys like you went ahead and hoarded 10 2-pounds bag each. Doesn't matter that it was on sale. That's the store's mistake, not yours. Yeah, you've got some for many months, but do you need to? Probably not, unless this turns into the zombies attack... and then you won't be safe, even with your piece, lol!

I'm with Beef, go to a different market, maybe a Costco or something where the quantities are bigger. Don't empty the shelves on the neighborhood store, sheesh!

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:25 am

sjduffers wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:39 pm
Well, think about the 70 years old behind you that would like just one two-pounds bag of rice and can't find any because 5 guys like you went ahead and hoarded 10 2-pounds bag each.
There were 43 other kinds of rice in stock. The aisle was far from empty.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:30 am

legitimatebeef wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:45 pm
Whoa OBK. Shit is crazy. I know you're good for the next few months but next time maybe try an Asian supermarket. Over there rice comes in 15-20lb bags, and nobody gives you shit for buying rice. 😑
Precisely my point. Under normal circumstances, I'll eat about a cup to a cup and a half of rice per day. That 10 pound bag is about a 2 week supply. Given how I'm probably going to be eating in the near future, I doubt it will last that long.

The 10 pounds of Arborio rice, which was most certainly not "in demand", will last considerably longer because, well, I don't make risotto very often.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:33 am

No, I think the obvious solution is that it will be delivery-only when it comes to groceries from here on out.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:09 pm

bryan k wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:25 am
sjduffers wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:39 pm
Well, think about the 70 years old behind you that would like just one two-pounds bag of rice and can't find any because 5 guys like you went ahead and hoarded 10 2-pounds bag each.
There were 43 other kinds of rice in stock. The aisle was far from empty.
Ok, I get it. You are forgiven. Man, you are eating a lot of rice, though. That's cool, but not something I would have thought about...

Heck, who am I to forgive you? :fk :facepalm

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:29 am

What I'm about to say next is probably going to piss a lot of people off.

What we have (or had) isn't (wasn't) a supply "shortage". It was a logistics problem. I think this whole thing came to a head for me when I was in a meeting a couple of weeks ago, when this whole thing started, where my employer was essentially working out plans to ensure that we had ample supplies of all of the stuff that was suddenly "scarce".

We had 1,700 bottles of hand sanitizer arriving on Wednesday with 3,000 more by Friday.
We have 14,000 rolls of toilet paper secured between then and the end of the month.
200 gallons of bleach and our bi-weekly supply of 200 Kirkland sanitized wipes also secured through the end of May.

The great part is, the building is virtually empty now with all of those supplies just sitting there. All the while, people are standing in line for hours waiting for Costco to open so that they *might* be one of the lucky ones to get toilet paper today. I wonder how common this was across the country, with institutional buyers getting priority over individuals in need. We have this same dynamic in play here in Arizona regarding our water usage. The government tells individuals to "cut back, cut back, cut back". Meanwhile, corporate interests use over 95% of Maricopa County's water supply. Even if all residents eliminated all water usage completely, it wouldn't make a dent.

I'm not anti-corporate, either. I'm anti-stupidity.

As far as rice goes, I truly think that the part of this that people get confused about is simply the fact that Americans don't tend to eat a lot of rice. I really don't either, but the times are currently dictating otherwise. One cup of rice is a serving. When I cook, I usually make two servings of whatever I'm cooking. That allows for lunch and dinner. There are two cups in a pound, so pretty much every time I cook, I'm making about a pound of rice.

So, if I have rice every other day, ten pounds of rice is 20 days' worth. Given the current situation, I'm eating rice more often than every other day (though not quite every day).

A family of four who is eating rice every day could go through close to 100 pounds of rice a month.

Personally, I think the bloke at Fry's was just looking for a way he could practice his virtue signaling. He's probably also the guy who drives is 15 mpg SUV to McDonald's in the morning to demand that they remove the plastic straw from the bag.

But yeah....the next time I go out (which may be next November the way things are going), I'll stop at the Asian market down the street to see if I can actually buy a decent size quantity. I tried Costco, but the quality of their Kirkland jasmine rice (on the rare occasion that they have it in stock) lacks a lot to be desired, and even they only sell it in a 25 pound bag. Their basmati rice is better, but it comes in an even smaller bag.

I'm looking for about 50 lbs a shot when I buy rice.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:39 am

In other news, I'm actually kind of liking the way Fry's delivery is working now. They have a backlog of about a week. Normally, before this all happened, I would put my order in at 8:00 AM and have it delivered by lunch. I get it. They are busy.

I got my last order on Saturday morning. After putting everything away, I took inventory on what I was low on and placed my order for next Saturday. As the week goes on, I can log into my Fry's account and add stuff to the list.

It's working pretty sweet, if you really want me to be honest. It just sucks that they charge $10 for delivery, but this is one time I'm not going to complain about the silly American custom of having to tip everyone.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:13 pm

bryan k wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:29 am
One cup of rice is a serving. When I cook, I usually make two servings of whatever I'm cooking. That allows for lunch and dinner. There are two cups in a pound, so pretty much every time I cook, I'm making about a pound of rice.

So, if I have rice every other day, ten pounds of rice is 20 days' worth. Given the current situation, I'm eating rice more often than every other day (though not quite every day).

A family of four who is eating rice every day could go through close to 100 pounds of rice a month.
Hold on here. My Japanese rice cooker comes with a measuring cup: you fill it until it's flat up on top and there are water lines for the proper amount of water per number of "cups" and per type of rice. The rice comes up perfect every time. We typically use two "cups" of jasmine rice. It serves about 5-6 people, meaning the wife and I can easily eat twice from this (typically once for dinner and the next day again for dinner, warmed up) and have a bit left over, for a lunch or something. Those "cups" are actually smaller than a normal cup, e.g. 180ml vs the normal cup size of 240ml. There are 2 normal cups in a pound of rice and perhaps 2.5 of the reduced size cups from the rice cooker.

I read that a pound of rice serves 10-12 people and that jives with my own findings, as explained above. We may eat just a bit less than the servings counted in that amount, but relatively close. Don't forget that you need 2 parts water for one part of rice, roughly, and a pound of uncooked rice yields roughly 3 pounds of cooked rice. I don't know how many people you feed on the pound of rice that you are cooking every other day, but needing that much seems like an awful lot rice to me. QED.

Peace.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:29 pm

We often cook 1 standard measuring cup (uncooked) rice and that's enough for 2 adults and 2 kids, with rice leftover. I suppose if you're just eating rice and nothing else, you'd need more.

BTW, I recently attempted to cook Brown Jasmine rice (cuz that's all they had at the store) in the rice cooker and it was super hard at the end. i then realized that you need to use more water and cook longer. I dumped a bunch more water in a couple of times and let it cook and cook, but it was still hard as hell. Should you not use a rice cooker for Brown Jasmine?
Bluto did it

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:46 pm

I've been making a cup a day for myself, as it's what's for breakfast, lunch, and dinner right now.

A family of four, at four cups a day, comes out to about 60 pounds a month (and "close" is a relative term).

If you're like my sister and have teenage athletes, you'll be much closer.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:16 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:29 pm
We often cook 1 standard measuring cup (uncooked) rice and that's enough for 2 adults and 2 kids, with rice leftover. I suppose if you're just eating rice and nothing else, you'd need more.

BTW, I recently attempted to cook Brown Jasmine rice (cuz that's all they had at the store) in the rice cooker and it was super hard at the end. i then realized that you need to use more water and cook longer. I dumped a bunch more water in a couple of times and let it cook and cook, but it was still hard as hell. Should you not use a rice cooker for Brown Jasmine?
Do you not have settings for different rice varieties? My cooker does, and it cooks brown jasmine, basmati, etc just fine. But it does take like 1.75 hours. And there's a specific "brown rice" ruler on the inside of the pot. Like Duffers I have a Japanese, semi-intelligent rice cooker. It doesn't stop until the rice is fully cooked! How does it know?? Temperature I am guessing.