Congressional CC shut down for Corona, et. al.

DougE
dogs: 1

Congressional CC shut down for Corona, et. al.

Post by DougE » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 am

Yes, THE Congressional Country Club, where so many powerful and elite in the D.C. area are members, was shut down this week due to the virus. It wasn't mandated by the government or anything. They just decided on their own. Consequently, a large number of their members came out to play at Worthington Manor this week. The head pro at WM told me yesterday that he was aware of 34 Congressional players who visited us in just the last two days.

Since schools are closed and businesses have sent portions of their staff to work from home, I shouldn't be surprised the mid-week tee sheets have been full until after 3 pm every day this week at WM. It's really pissing me off. The kids are supposed to be taking on-line classes and the work-from-homers are supposed to be WORKING from home! I wish I could tattle on them all to their teachers and bosses. I want my course back.

I played at another course in the area on Tuesday. I have played there a number of times before. Pretty nice place, in great condition for this time of year, but a notch below Worthington, IMO. I was surprised to see it was pretty much business as usual there, with what seemed to be no extra kids and no extra hooky-playing business-types clogging things up. Not busy at all. After playing there, I went back to Worthington to drop my shoes off in my locker and socialize (from 6 feet away) a bit. It was about 5:30 pm. The parking lot was packed when I pulled in. Course was full. Why is everyone coming to Worthington? Go some place else, dammit!

As a sidebar, Mike (Fluff) Cowan, Jim Furyk's caddy (and also Tiger's in the late 90s for a couple years), who's a long-time member at Congressional, has played here at Worthington three days in a row, now. He has played here many other times in the past and loves the course and knows our head pro fairly well. I met him yesterday (but there was no handshake, unfortunately, due to the Corona thing). Each time he comes out, he brings some top-level Juniors with him. Fluff is now 71 or 72 years old. He has a great game and hits the shit out of the ball. You'd never expect it, looking at him. In person, he is much smaller than he looks on TV. (His mustache looks bigger in person, though.) He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him. I don't know for sure, but I would bet he is a near-scratch player, from what I saw of his game.

GBOGEY

Re: Congressional CC shut down for Corona, et. al.

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:26 am

DougE wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 am
As a sidebar, Mike (Fluff) Cowan, Jim Furyk's caddy (and also Tiger's in the late 90s for a couple years), who's a long-time member at Congressional, has played here at Worthington three days in a row, now. He has played here many other times in the past and loves the course and knows our head pro fairly well. I met him yesterday (but there was no handshake, unfortunately, due to the Corona thing). Each time he comes out, he brings some top-level Juniors with him. Fluff is now 71 or 72 years old. He has a great game and hits the shit out of the ball. You'd never expect it, looking at him. In person, he is much smaller than he looks on TV. (His mustache looks bigger in person, though.) He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him. I don't know for sure, but I would bet he is a near-scratch player, from what I saw of his game.
I was going to ask but you put it out there. From the looks of Fluff at the last PGA event I attended, probably at least three years ago, he was looking pretty old and frail. Shocking that he's still caddying much less playing at that level.

A day (or two they are blend together) after the mayor said parks and golf courses would remain open, all city golf courses closed suddenly yesterday. On one hand, no big deal. There is so much excess capacity that I'll get to play and this weekend the weather isn't so great so tee times will be available. On the other hand, despite no being a germaphob I do take social distancing serious and the city courses are the most walkable - not excited if someone says I have to share a cart. However, I think a few places have relaxed their limited weekend walking rules to encourage social distancing.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:43 am

One of the county courses here has instituted a one-player-per-cart rule. They said if they don't have enough carts, they won't book more tee times. So if you want to ride, you have to book early. Otherwise walk, stay home. or play somewhere else. This particular course is not one you want to walk. (I just played it on Tuesday.) It's the hilliest in the area. And long. I do like the idea of one person to a cart though. I wish they would do that at Worthington. It might keep some of the crowd away. They only have 80 carts. There are 165 golfers already on the tee-sheet today. As of now, I ain't one of them. I'll play after the masses are done....I hope.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:19 pm

My course currently: limited menu, but cannot eat or drink in the clubhouse or on the veranda (Governor's rules.) One person per cart. No scoop in the sand bucket for filling divots (divots are not replaced here since they just die instead of roots retaking.) Flags removed from practice putting greens. No water buckets on course. Ball washers and rakes for bunkers removed. Asked to not remove flags on the greens (i.e. don't grab them.) Cups in holes turned upside down, so when the ball goes in the hole, part of it still is above the hole with the flagstick in.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

CeeBee
dogs: 0

Post by CeeBee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:42 am

My home course was packed yesterday. Young people. Seems to be as Doug stated his course was. On a side note, I fully expect courses over here to shut down soon. Beaches too.
Tee it up!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 am

Weather has been sort of shitty so there has not been the expected surge in play. As soon as it warms up, I fully expect to see crowds like a mid-summer weekend. I played my winter course Fox Hills on Thursday. The one employee taking payments was sanitizing the pen after each use, etc... I gave her a $5 tip. I told her the money had been in my wallet since December and that it was likely safe. I thanked her for working and keeping the golf rolling.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:51 am

Most courses here announced a shut down this afternoon.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:59 pm

Latest in series of emails from Bethpage:

“Yesterday [Sunday] we notified golfers that state park courses would be closed. During subsequent discussions we determined that we would be able to allow limited rounds at select courses that are open.

Golf courses will implement a number of preventive measures, including increasing intervals between tee times, removing bunker rakes and ball washers, and decreasing use of golf carts; and facilities may take additional measures to ensure social distancing. Remember to be smart, stay six feet apart.

Visitor and staff safety remains our highest priority as we continue to monitor conditions daily. We apologize for any inconvenience and confusion this may have caused."

In other words it's all fake news, right? I fully expect this kind of decision-making out of the central Long Island region.
Build a bridge and get over it.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:19 pm

When the Titanic hit the berg, did they shut the bar down or tell everyone to stop playing cards? If this is as bad as some project, playing a few rounds of golf may not be what sinks the ship. Yes 10,000 kids hang in' at the beach likely is irresponsible. A guy playing golf?
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:25 pm

I think we can all agree that playing golf is additional risk compared to staying at the house.

So the question is, is that risk worth the benefit of your individual enjoyment.

Given that we can't honestly know what that risk is, it's my personal opinion that the additional risk to others (mostly those much older than me) is not worth me doing any recreational activities that are not in my house. I don't want to be the reason someone doesn't get to spend an additional 20 years with their kids. I don't want to increase the risk of doctors having to decide who lives and who dies. I want to do what I can to prevent those things from happening.

If it means I can't play my biweekly poker game with friends. Or I can't play golf, or I can't go fishing, basketball, baseball, etc for the next 6 months. That is fine by me.

I'm sure just me staying inside won't change much. But hopefully others follow, because if everyone thinks "it's just one guy playing golf" suddenly there are 100 people touching the flag stick (or nearly touching it) every day.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:54 pm

@jasonfish11 , I will not respond to you. You won't sway my thoughts and I certainly won't move yours. Keep your family and yourself healthy and safe and we will laugh and talk about this next year.

Maybe limit your reading and comments to the Other Forum and I will stay with the LG Forum for the next six months. Truce.
Let's Play 36

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:59 pm

I'll make that deal. I truly do respect everyone here, even though I don't respect current decisions.

But i respect you enough to take that deal.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:54 pm

Build a bridge and get over it.