Corona Virus Rants and Facts and Rumors

jfurr

Re: Corona Virus Rants and Facts and Rumors

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:52 pm

So I actually diid order one of those bidet attachments that you install under your toilet seat. In "my" bathroom. (to the horror of my wife). It takes a little getting used to, but I'm all in favor of it. I described it to my band mates in our text thread and one of them decided to take the plunge.. Only to find out they were sold out.
Everything Sucks

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:45 am

Was looking at some CDC shit last night trying to put the world in perspective. I want to talk about the flu. Since October an estimated 23 to 59,000 people died of flu. Somewhere around 40-50 million caught it. Talking about in the U.S. alone. Thus I'm not exactly alarmed by the infectiousness of the coronavirus itself. Numbers are growing obviously but they are still kind of dwarfed by the flu. And the flu, while a serious drag, is not exactly something you fear contracting every time you go outside. And while there is a flu vaccine, it's efficacy is pretty spotty. Like less than 50% in some years. What am I getting at here, I guess I'm wondering if the flu, while commonplace, is not exactly an under control situation either.

Listen I get why corona is a serious threat. Nobody understands it better than me. Mainly because the health care system cannot handle waves of new sick people. A dumbass question might be, Why don't we shutdown society to stop the spread of flu, when flu kills so many people? I'm guessing that annual flu cases are factored into the existing healthcare capacity. Thus the influx of flu patients does not overwhelm the system. But clearly adding an entirely new sickness to the queue, does. So I am not one of these morons trying to diminish the seriousness of coronavirus. Well yes I am, actually. But only for the sake of like, my own personal reassurance and not like, public policy. :school (That is to say, I need to convince myself that it's safe enough for me to venture out into the world to obtain necessities and whatnot. For my own mental health.)

If Trump had any ability as a communicator, he might've stuck with his original strategy of comparing corona to the flu. The flu is also "an invisible scourge" you know, and it is one whose fatal effects society accepts without any outrage whatsoever. What would the average person say about a comprehensive economic shutdown, for the sake of containing influenza and saving the lives of some vulnerables? They would say hell no. Thus, a reasonable argument might be made. But beneath the facade Trump is weak, and a fake boss. He doesn't have the actual conviction to let people die for the sake of the economy. He doesn't have the historical perspective to see that epidemics and pandemics are regular occurrences throughout the history of all great nations. This proves to me that he is a Republican in name only--when the stakes are actual human lives, he caves in and acts like a compassionate, cryin Democrat. There will be no big beautiful Easter resurrection. When that time comes he will back down and defer to the experts (and by extension, the libfagtards). Believe me.
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 am

I have begun making some long-term shut-in plans and investing in fitness infrastructure. Or trying to at least--supply is so disturbingly scarce right now. (Yesterday I briefly considered meeting some guy in a dark alley to buy a pair of 15lb dumbbells for $100 :facepalm) I just ordered a doorway pullup bar that I am not even sure fits my doorways, since I know that I can easily turn around and sell it in my local sector of this emerging black market. Taking in whatever I can get. We've already attempted multiple orders of dumbbells and resistance bands only to have the seller cancel.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:05 am

Yesterday I bid $220 for a pair of 30 lb dumbbells. They sold today for $366. Excuse me while I shove the TV remote control up my butt.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:33 am

Geez. I didn't realize how valuable my little pair of 10 lbs dumbbells are. I have been using them daily in my pre-golf workout and stretch sessions for the past few years.

Funny, just last month I was thinking I should pick up a few barbells for my workout. There was an ad in our online neighborhood "Nextdoor" Items for Sale listings under free stuff. It was for a full set of used barbells. Sure, not professional gym grade, but still....FREE! Shoulda taken them. All I had to do was pick them up. But, you know, at the time, I was just speculating about getting a couple to add to my already easy work out. So, I was like, "Yeah, sounds good, but do I really feel like driving all the way over there and having to deal with people? Nah."

You can probably guess, I'm kicking myself after reading your post, Beef.

On the other hand, the guy giving those barbells away last month is likely kicking himself even harder today!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:26 pm

Don't kick yourself Doug. After all nobody could ever have seen this coming. A lot of people don't know this, but nothing like this has ever happened before. Seriously though, I think we will be seeing the new post corona world/economy unfolding over the next few months and it's probably going to be weird.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:26 pm

Social distancing in the United States is not going to work as intended. Every day people seem to be getting worse about complying. Unbelieveable right. Standing in queue to get into the grocery store today I actually had to tell the dumb girl behind me to maintain the six feet of distance. Of course she grumbled. What a monster I am right. Anyways we are going to find out that our national identity as Americans is too weak and diluted to successfully pull off an emergency viral outbreak protocol such as this. In contrast to a citizenry like Korea's, which for whatever underlying reasons is capable of coming together with actual unity and purpose. We might not be as touchy feely as Italians, but I fear that we are lazier, shiftier, more self-centered and self-righteous, less trusting of authority and science etc. I fear we are going to make them seem responsible by comparison when all is said and done. Military lockdown is kind of what we deserve.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:49 pm

I have a pair of these... wonder what they go for since they weren't cheap in the pre-corona era? Doesn't matter, I need the exercise more than the cash... for now. :oh

Bluto did it

CeeBee
dogs: 0

Post by CeeBee » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:33 pm

Glad I have my weights and still use them. Pairs from 10lbs thru 50lbs. :up
Tee it up!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:27 pm

CeeBee wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:33 pm
Glad I have my weights and still use them. Pairs from 10lbs thru 50lbs. :up
I'm coming over :gross

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:01 am

@bryan k I see you man, get your ass in here.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 am

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:49 pm
I have a pair of these... wonder what they go for since they weren't cheap in the pre-corona era? Doesn't matter, I need the exercise more than the cash... for now. :oh
Ordered something very similar from walmart.com a few days ago. But still haven't received any shipping or tracking info. Not hopeful.

Maybe I can sneak on to a construction site and steal some cinder blocks. :nope

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:26 am

Hi. Yes, I received an email alert from the other BK saying I had a notification!

Can you believe I haven't played any golf for three years?

Seriously, though, I hope you are all staying safe during this mess. I was actually on a social media hiatus from about February 20 to about March 15 because of all of the deniers were making me too angry to contemplate facing people, but I'm slowly coming round.

Glad to hear you're all doing well. I'll probably stick around for a bit since I don't have much else to do right now except pick the weedsd out of the backyard. They kind of got out of control on me over the winter.

Stay safe!

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 am

Why no golf? What the hell's wrong with you? Spill.

Oh, and....welcome back. :ohyeah

(Good job @bkuehn1952!....for the reach out to the other BK.)

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:53 am

DougE wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:33 am
Why no golf? What the hell's wrong with you? Spill.

Oh, and....welcome back. :ohyeah

(Good job @bkuehn1952!....for the reach out to the other BK.)
I think the other BK has done that to me once or twice before. I think he was the one who lured me over here to start @bkuehn1952

So I bought a house in 2016. I didn't play much prior to that because I wanted to put as big a down payment on the house as possible. And then, I was amazed at how much money I had.

I spending almost a quarter of my income on golf. Golf is freaking expensive here in Phoenix even in the summer when everything is discounted.

Also, the summer prior to buying my house, I accomplished *all* of my goals pretty much all at once, and I had no idea where to turn next. I tried to play a few months without keeping score, and then they changed the rules so that I couldn't even have an official handicap anymore as a regular single player.

So that's it in a nutshell.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:08 pm

I went for a run in a busy park. Here are my conclusions. People are less compliant than they were a week ago. Police are now out, gently 'reminding' us about distancing and not gathering; before long, we will have a police state.

American people are both weak and ignorant. We lack the unity and willpower to come together for a collective purpose, and too privileged to make any kind of real sacrifice for a cause that doesn't directly or immediately benefit us individually.

A week or two ago, talking to Ms Beef, I lambasted the Italians and their laziness, ignorance, distrust of authority, self-centeredness, etc. A totally hypocritical, self-righteous jag on my part. Turns out we are way worse. I fully expect soldiers with M-16s patrolling the streets of NY very soon. Then again seems like the outbreak is now out there in the rest of America, so maybe there won't be enough military to enforce all the necessary lockdowns.

Herd immunity would be a controversial policy approach to the outbreak. But I think that is de facto what we are going to end up doing. Try to take the virus head on. Survival of the fittest. Natural selection.

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:13 pm

My very first clue that this was not a normal thing was when I started to learn of the draconian measures that the Chinese government had to subject their citizens to in order to contain it. This was in early to mid February. That's when I realized...we don't stand a chance.

It's not the disease I'm afraid of. It's the apathy and ignorance of the American populace.

Oh, and to throw a political spin on this, it's also the reason why libertarianism is dead, as far as I'm concerned.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:42 pm

If OBK says we don't have a chance then I am truly terrified.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:03 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:49 pm

Against all odds, my set of PowerBlocks arrived today. I am as happy as I've been in the last two weeks. I got the "Sport" set that only goes up to 24lb a side but I will make do. These are a great investment by the way, good call on getting them during the pre-crisis era.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:16 pm

Nice. Yeah, my wife has the Sport set. I have the big u90 set (without the expansions) but wish I had the mid range ones that do quick increments of 5 lbs, since I don't lift that heavy with my current workouts. Powerblock 50 I think they're called. I might buy those soon seeing that I'm spending way less money on everything else.
Bluto did it

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:42 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:16 pm
Nice. Yeah, my wife has the Sport set. I have the big u90 set (without the expansions) but wish I had the mid range ones that do quick increments of 5 lbs, since I don't lift that heavy with my current workouts. Powerblock 50 I think they're called. I might buy those soon seeing that I'm spending way less money on everything else.
edit: Yeah, scratch that. I'm not buying any weights any time soon.
Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:42 pm
edit: Yeah, scratch that. I'm not buying any weights any time soon.
Let me guess, you had a look at the post apocalyptic home fitness equipment market. Insanity. The sport powerblocks are going for over $400 on ebay. I've been using mine by the way, they are ingenious. :bawl Great as pushup bars too.

CeeBee
dogs: 0

Post by CeeBee » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:45 am

They look fine. Should keep you going till the big breakout later this summer. I hope.
Tee it up!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:05 pm

bryan k

Post by bryan k » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:11 am

Just an FYI....Hello Tushy is a company that sells bidet attachments, and they are only backlogged until April 20th.