Golf in a Plague Year

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Golf in a Plague Year

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:02 am

A local blogger has been using the "Plague Year", which I think is appropriate, so I appropriated his phrase. Yes, a nice use of the word appropriate.

The golf industry is still awaiting clarification of the Governor's shut down with respect to the golf industry. I am expecting a thumbs down but maybe the golf lobby has some pull.

I want a course to announce, "Free Walking Golf". Golfers are welcome to walk the course and social distance themselves. A couple days a week the course would close until the limited staff cut the greens, fairways, tees. They could even start a "Go Fund Me" and we could donate $$ to support the free golf.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Re: Golf in a Plague Year

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:05 am

What concerns me though, about golf courses right now, is that maybe that crowd is a self-selection of society's most ignorant, i.e. the non soap users, the face touchers, non-distancers, straight up virus hoaxers etc.
Build a bridge and get over it.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:02 pm

I think our annual beach golf buddy trip will be postponed if not cancelled this year. I think the courses are still open but many of the guys from up north might not be able to travel and its not the same
Everything Sucks

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:55 am

John, are golf courses in SC still operating? Hmmmm, that would be a nice option.

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:29 am

Snagged a tee time for today at 11:12 and Sunday at 11:04, walking both. I'm off with another member today and out as a single on Sunday...can't wait.
Throw me another ball will ya!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:58 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:02 am
A local blogger has been using the "Plague Year", which I think is appropriate, so I appropriated his phrase. Yes, a nice use of the word appropriate.

The golf industry is still awaiting clarification of the Governor's shut down with respect to the golf industry. I am expecting a thumbs down but maybe the golf lobby has some pull.

I want a course to announce, "Free Walking Golf". Golfers are welcome to walk the course and social distance themselves. A couple days a week the course would close until the limited staff cut the greens, fairways, tees. They could even start a "Go Fund Me" and we could donate $$ to support the free golf.
I'm going to drive by two courses today. My wife believes that there are signs on the public courses saying you can play (for free) as long as you follow certain rules. Walking only, raised cups, etc. Of course the course is "officially" closed. I hadn't really thought of maintenance - we're probably about a week away from the grass starting to grow.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 am

Golf Rounds Surged as Coronavirus Advanced. Now the Game Is Retreating.

According to this, the USGA has modified rules to include raised or inverted cups. Not like that really means jack squat, during a global pandemic emergency at least.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 am

MattF wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:29 am
Snagged a tee time for today at 11:12 and Sunday at 11:04, walking both. I'm off with another member today and out as a single on Sunday...can't wait.
This is encouraging that Windmill RE-OPENED after some clarification of guidelines "set forth by the Ohio Department of Health." That might bode well for other states (like mine) who are also trying to get back open. All courses in our state, as well as the National Golf Course Owners Association, Mid-Atlantic (NGCOA-MA) and hundreds---maybe thousands---of golfers have been reaching out to the governor's office stating our case for exception from the broad, non-essential businesses shutdown mandate.

If anyone is interested, this is a letter the NGCOA-MA sent to our Governor yesterday in an attempt to get the mandate lifted from Maryland golf courses. Frankly, I think it could have been written a whole lot better, but, it is what it is. I copied and pasted from a pdf, so the formatting isn't necessarily perfect, but you'll get the message. I have also seen some other letters from area golf courses and individual golfers, who have contacted the Governor's office with similar letters. Some were quite compelling. I hope the Governor feels the same.

March 24, 2020
Governor Larry Hogan
State House 100 State Circle
Annapolis, MD 21401

Dear Governor Hogan:

On behalf of the golf industry in Maryland, thank you for your leadership during this challenging, unprecedented time. COVID-19’s effects have been far-reaching across all sectors of life. The Mid-Atlantic Golf Course Owners Association is doing its part to ensure Maryland golf courses are following your Executive Order, and we are grateful for the approval to maintain our courses at this time.

I am writing in consideration of re-opening Maryland golf courses. Our association includes Virginia as well, and Virginia courses remain open, operating safely under strict state guidelines. Same for our neighbors in Delaware. Thank you in advance for taking the time to help us continue to do what we love.

Health Considerations
This entire situation is all about public health. Please consider the following:

Walking 18 holes of golf is great exercise – more than five miles and 13,000 steps,burning more than 1,200 calories. It is also a great stress release in these troubled times.

Golf is the ultimate “social distancing” activity. It is played outdoors on 200 acres in small groups of four people who know each other, spaced roughly 200 yards apart.

Golf courses are controlled and monitored for safety, unlike public parks, which remain open. There are reports in other states that golfers will play closed golf courses. Operating golf courses can police that and maintain public health standards better than unsupervised, closed facilities.

The NGCOA has developed a very detailed operating guide to enhance sanitation and safety, going touchless with such measures as online pre-payments, spacing out tee times, removing bunker rakes and coolers, and much more outlined in the Park & Play Guide.

Golf and State Government
Maryland’s golf industry is aligned with key interests of government:
Golf courses preserve large areas of open space in developed areas.
Golf courses filter storm water runoff.
The golf industry generates tax revenue.
Golf provides a recreational public service, so needed in these troubled times.

No other business or land use anywhere in the world does all that at once. Golf courses preserve the environment in a way no other business does or can do, while stimulating the economy and generating tax revenue.

Economic Considerations
There are over 13,000 Marylanders working in golf-related jobs, and most are out of work.
There are over 189 golf courses in Maryland currently closed. Most are small businesses. Maintenance costs are very high, and there is no revenue to support that. Some courses will either go bankrupt or cut back on maintenance leading to high costs in the future.

Request to Re-open Golf Courses
To summarize, we respectfully request an amendment to your Order to re-open golf courses in Maryland under strict guidelines of COVID-19 public health protocols. Golf courses are important to the health of Marylanders and are perfectly positioned to ensure all guidelines are followed.

Thanks for your consideration and leadership.

Sincerely,David A. Norman
Executive Director

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Actually, I was just happy to see you made it back from the Wednesday shopping trip.
Let's Play 36

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Just got my 13th round in for the month, with tee times for each of the next three days. Rode the first round of the month, before me and a guy in my group decided to we were going to start walking regularly (the other two we play with were already walking), then rode on Sunday with an eye on beating rain (started on 18th green, let loose right after we loaded our cars.) Only semi-contact I have is checking in to get receipt (no fee to walk due to my pass) and scorecard from the counter. Starters are not even checking receipts.
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:28 pm

@srogers13 If we don't get the non-essential business restriction lifted here in Maryland over the next couple days, I think you will beat me this month for rounds played. I stand at 17 so far in March, before we got shut down on Monday for, God only knows, how long. I was on track to get in 22 or 23 rounds for the month, based on what the weather was here so far this week and the forecast into next week. Right now, though, I'm outta luck. So, you'll go down in history for having the most rounds of all of the guys at LegitimateGolf for the month of March, 2020. Congrats. (Though, the record book will show an asterisk next to your name. ;))

CeeBee is playing a lot and last I heard, Delaware (where he now lives) was still allowed to play golf. Hmmm. He may beat us both. Either way, one of you guys will still have an asterisk!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:25 am

DougE wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:28 pm
CeeBee is playing a lot and last I heard, Delaware (where he now lives) was still allowed to play golf. Hmmm. He may beat us both. Either way, one of you guys will still have an asterisk!
According to @CeeBee 's ClubSG account, he took a 2 week "vacation" in the middle of the month. He is no threat to exceed either of your totals for March.
Let's Play 36

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 am

Well, the Ohio Department of Health shut down all golf courses, so my Sunday round is now cancelled.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:36 am

You are right bk, no threat to pass Doug for rounds played in March from me here in Delaware. We are still open but ....
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:47 am

MattF wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 am
Well, the Ohio Department of Health shut down all golf courses, so my Sunday round is now cancelled.
Sorry Matt. I feel your pain.
(I'm on day 6 of our shutdown, with no end in sight yet.)

There had been some discussion by management at my club, of aerating the greens while we're shut down, instead of mid-April as originally planned. I went by the course yesterday and sure enough, aeration was in progress. I hoe we are not in the early stages of shut down, but if we are, the greens may be healed by the time we get back to golf. For me, right now, I'd be happy if I could play on sanded, bumpy greens. I'm going bat shit crazy here.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:56 am

CeeBee wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:36 am
You are right bk, no threat to pass Doug for rounds played in March from me here in Delaware. We are still open but ....
It amazes me that Delaware is still open for golf, as is Virginia and W. Virginia. NJ is closed, PA is closed, MD is closed, all three of which border tiny little DE. I'm not mad, I'm just jealous.

Hope you are able to continue playing. And, be safe when you do.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:46 am

Must be the ocean air.😉
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:18 am

I'm thinking my move to MD from CT wasn't necessarily my best move:

March 25, 2020
CT reopens golf courses with limitations to curb COVID-19 outbreak

By Joe Cooper
Hartford Business Journal

The state of Connecticut is lifting its golf-course ban amid pleas from golfers and the industry that clubs should remain open during the coronavirus pandemic.

The Connecticut State Golf Association (CSGA) in a letter to members Wednesday said the state Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) is allowing golf courses to re-open, but the decision comes with a few caveats.

According to CSGA, all clubhouses should remain closed, golf carts are being limited to one person and golfers are being urged to walk if possible. Restaurants are also closed or limited to take-out service only. Flagsticks and holes have also been raised to prevent players from touching cups.

Clubhouse closures mean golfers will need to pay for their rounds by phone or online, officials say.

Meantime, CSGA is also urging golfers to maintain a social distance of at least six feet at all times in parking, practice and playing areas.

Other CSGA recommendations include:

No caddies or bag handlers (players handle their own equipment)
No distribution of scorecards or writing utensils
Sanitation of golf carts after use
Players should not touch stakes marking penalty areas
Starting time intervals should be a minimum of 10 minutes apart.

“With this announcement from DECD, golf can be played, and played safely in Connecticut during the COVID-19 pandemic,” CSGA said. “But only if everyone follows these guidelines at all times - especially maintaining strict adherence to social distancing.

The state’s decision is good news for Connecticut’s $638 million golf industry, which has been battling difficult conditions due to changing golfer habits.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:14 am

DougE wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:47 am

Sorry Matt. I feel your pain.
(I'm on day 6 of our shutdown, with no end in sight yet.)
It's all good. I went to the Chiro yesterday and because I haven't done my PT for 2 weeks my lower back, the part that's bad, is shot. I don't think I could have played today anyway.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:30 pm

Prospects not looking good for golf any time soon. Over the weekend I was thinking of driving a 1/2 hour to one of the nicer courses in Virginia at some point this week, as I am going crazy here. Well, that's out the window. Virginia closed all non-essential businesses yesterday, and MD took their lockdown a step further, now fining people for being out without good reason.

I am in a foul-assed mood as I sit here watching dust collect on my clubs. :fk

This is not only hurting my golf game, but my physical and mental health too. I was averaging over 10,000 steps a day before the shutdown. Now I'm averaging about 3-4K. That's gonna change, though. I'm going to start walking three miles a day, five or six days a week until I can get back to playing golf. I don't know how much that will affect my mental health though. I am in a bad place upstairs.

As I have gotten older, I don't like to waste days doing nothing. I never did, actually, but it feels worse knowing my days left on this planet are far fewer than they were 20 or 30 years ago. So, I like to get up early everyday, because I want to have as much day as possible to live...to be busy...to enjoy my days awake, aware and productive. I can sleep and do nothing when I'm dead.

Yeah, this virus is bad. Very bad. I get it. I'm no longer pissed at the governor for his broad-brushed shutdown. He's doing what is necessary. I'm just pissed at what the virus is doing to the world in general and frustrated that nothing can be done to make it go away before anyone else, or worse, someone I love, contracts it.

I'm quite concerned at this point of what things will look like when we finally come out the other side. And even more of a question, when might that be? I keep trying to tell myself---at least from a golf perspective---this is like having to deal with a very cold, snowy Northeastern winter, where there is no golf available. I've had to do deal with that many times before. But even then, I could go to a range...or to Mom's in Florida to play. No this is worse. The temps outside are warm and the golf courses are green, yet they are off limits. Oh yeah, and people are dying by the hundreds of thousands. This is far worse.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:21 pm

At least you can hit balls in the backyard. Think of the less fortunate. Such as me. I can't do shit.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:36 pm

Just a random post. This was from NYT crosswords puzzle blog from last week. Such a wonderful image that I stole it and uploaded it here instead of linking.
28wordplay-alsatian-jumbo.jpg
28wordplay-alsatian-jumbo.jpg (181.82 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Sheila Hamilton, a golfer, with an Alsatian shepherd caddy during a match at Primer Hill. Uncertain whether this caddy was acquired at the Pro Shop, or whether Ms. Hamilton listens to her caddy’s advice on iron selection.Credit...Fox Photos/Getty Images

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/cros ... 03-28.html

Why in the world is dog caddies not a common thing. Modern life is so disappointing.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:13 pm

I like it. My pup might not, but I really like it.
I just wonder what will happen if she sees a bunny! :facepalm

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:54 pm

The current situation is tough. I really feel for those who are sick - it sounds like an awful experience. Everyone needs to be careful for the sake of ourselves and for others. The disruption to our lives - it would be easier to deal with if there was an end in sight. Technically our pronouncements here end in a week, but I expect them to extend for 1-2 more weeks. On the positive side, I truly believe that this somewhat will end by end of April. Of course what the world will look like then is a big question.

Golf is a tough subject right now. Not only do I love to play, but it makes up a big part of my fitness. Not only is golf difficult right now - more later - no ranges - but my other fitness activities of either going to gym or playing tennis are banned. And of course my job is very stressful right now, so I'm eating like a pig and having a whiskey every evening. Of course golf is also my stress relief. I started doing fitness walks last week (my body doesn't like running)- at least 3-4 miles around the neighborhood. I figure it would get in golf shape for walking the course.

There are some courses open here. By my count 7 of the passable public courses are open. Two are not walkable and even though I am not squeamish I refuse to ride right now. So that leaves 5 possible courses.

I did go out and play twice last weekend. It was a tough choice. Jasonfish's comments hit hard last week. I was also on an email chain and an online discussion about whether golf should or should not be allowed. I'm torn. I believe that what I did two weeks ago was just as safe as my fitness walks. But I'm not sure about a lot of the yahoos around here. So as I'm trying to decide whether to go play on Saturday (iffy weather), Ms. Bogey says she wants to go play with me. Now this is a surprise. Ms. Bogey only plays in beautiful weather, May-Sept and doesn't take golf seriously at all. But I figure maybe since she can't run (injury) or play tennis, she just wants to go out.

It becomes clear pretty quickly that one reason Ms. Bogey comes out to play is so I don't get matched up with anyone. She wants me to play safe and not to play with anyone who isn't. But on the other hand, she's terrified of the flag stick / cup. Every time I make a putt, and I had seven birdies and few saves over two days, she makes me sanitize my hands and the ball. Anything near three feet was a gimme that she insisted I take. In truths, all but maybe one were guaranteed makes - not as sure about some of the gimme's she took. And when there was a long putt that looked it might go in she would pull for it to miss (so it wouldn't to be sanitized). I had to scold her once. She yelled at my ten footer which then lipped out - I'm still serious about golf. Anyway we had fun together and we were safe together.

Other things I saw though were not good. There were guys at this course clearly not social distancing. It's kind of a red neck place across the border into MS. Not making stereotypes but... Anyway, I don't think I can go to that club anymore - too disturbing watching others even if they don't come into contact with me. Five of the clubs that are open are in MS. Hope all aren't behaving that way. Interesting, from various email groups and websites the two that are open on the TN side are taking Covid-19 very seriously with all of the precautions. I might try to play one of those places this weekend only because it's around my birthday. Otherwise last weekend was a message to spend time away. We will see.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:33 pm

We have been walking closed courses. Fewer people than the nature areas. More interesting scenery.
Let's Play 36