2020 Summer golf support group

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

2020 Summer golf support group

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu May 28, 2020 11:29 am

Swamp-ass season has arrived. Looking ahead to the upcoming summer of golf, I am already despondent. Meteorologists are expecting a hot and busy hurricane season. Golf crowds at an all-time high, with capacity shrunken to an all-time low. All signs point to worst summer of our lifetimes.
Build a bridge and get over it.

GBOGEY

Re: 2020 Summer golf support group

Post by GBOGEY » Thu May 28, 2020 4:51 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:29 am
Golf crowds at an all-time high, with capacity shrunken to an all-time low. All signs point to worst summer of our lifetimes.
What you may find, is that due to reduced tee times, pace of play is quite good and enjoyable. You may just have to work harder to get a tee time. Here, I am having to plan 3-5 days ahead, depending on the course. Usually it's 1-2 days here. Of course in NJ, it was a week for certain prime times so I'm used to it.

Maybe this should be a rant, but the inconsistency is starting to get to me. Of the 14 courses that I'm willing to play (really 12 due to distance), six have reduced tee times. Of course, that includes 3 of the 4 I play the most. Even then it's not consistent - some are spacing every 12 minutes, some every 15 minutes, and one every 20 minutes. And within the same city municipal system, one course is 12 minutes and has a snack bar that will sell bottled waters and drinks (since no coolers on the course and of course no cash), another is 15 minutes and no water whatsoever.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu May 28, 2020 5:31 pm

That's a great point actually. If everything is strictly reserved and socially distanced tee times, then perhaps there is hope. I think I'm okay with paying more to make up for the lost capacity.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Fri May 29, 2020 12:20 pm

Supposed to play next Friday, weather permitting. Vendor at work treating me. We are going to Cobblestone, one of my favorite courses in town.
Everything Sucks

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:03 pm

Ying and Yang. There are things I like about COVID golf, like single rider carts. But the overall increase in non-golfers clogging the courses is a problem.

Today I went to my typically empty course. It was cool (55 degrees) and rainy. Of course when I arrived there were 4 carts on the first tee and 4 on the cart path 200 yards up the 1st hole. I had made a teetime with at least 45 minutes separating me from the group in front. Sigh.

I asked the clubhouse guy if I could start on #10. No, they were expecting a full tee sheet later.

I waited until my 1:44pm tee time and started off down the fairway. With cart path only and me walking, I caught the first foursome on the 2nd hole fairway. Miracle, they let me through. I was free wheeling for three holes and caught the next foursome on #6. Miracle again, they let me through. Now I was cruising with no one else on the course. Kind of like the good old days, flying solo on an empty back nine. Of course it is not the good old days but the COVID days with upside down cups, no flag removal, no rakes, no beverage cart, no clubhouse access, etc...
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:38 am

Just for info purposes, I looked at the online tee sheets for Sunday afternoon. Weather was about as good as it gets, 67 degrees, absolutely blue skies, no wind.

Not a time available until around 4:30pm and then, it would have been a single joining a threesome. Every tee time taken until close at the half dozen courses I looked at. The lack of live sports, bowling, boating with others than family, travel, etc... has created what golf course owners could only hope for in their dreams, a monopoly on outside leisure activity. Thank God I am semi-retired and can play during the week.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:54 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:38 am
Not a time available until around 4:30pm and then, it would have been a single joining a threesome. Every tee time taken until close at the half dozen courses I looked at. The lack of live sports, bowling, boating with others than family, travel, etc... has created what golf course owners could only hope for in their dreams, a monopoly on outside leisure activity. Thank God I am semi-retired and can play during the week.

Sounds virtually the same as here. I thought about attempting to play each day over the weekend, but t times were solid until 6pm each day. You are correct. This is truly a golf course owner's dream. My club pro told me they have surpassed their numbers compared to last year at this time (which was a good year for them) yet they were closed down for seven weeks solid due to Covid-19 mandates.

I can't really play anyway. My back/side/lat/rib (undetermined) injury persists. It gets worse when I attempt to play. Have tried only four times since the reopening in early May. Each time, with the help of 600 milligrams of Advil, I got through it for the most part (two of those days were less than 18) without excessive pain during the round, however, acute pain returns the next day and seems as bad as ever. I can't even touch the surface of the skin without flinching. I am stumped as to what is going on, but am actively searching for a good sports orthopedic doctor to visit ASAP.

I see my season walking out the door at this point right before my eyes and I'm not sure how, or even if I can stop it. On March 21 (the end of the first qtr of the year) I had 53 rounds of golf in. Today, 11 weeks later, I have only 57. The first seven weeks were due to virus shutdown, but these last four weeks of only four rounds have been mostly due to the injury (which I don't yet understand what it is or where it came from), and the fact that the course has been mobbed. Of the four rounds I did play, three were on days with poor weather forecasts which kept the crowd smaller.

I realize I am not posting here much these days. At least not at all like my usual golf-playing self.
I don't know that anyone else has noticed, but rest assured:

"It's not you. It's me."

It's mostly due to my golf (or lack thereof) situation. I have nothing to contribute.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:53 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:38 am
The lack of live sports, bowling, boating with others than family, travel, etc... has created what golf course owners could only hope for in their dreams, a monopoly on outside leisure activity. Thank God I am semi-retired and can play during the week.
I decided the last two weeks that this is what's really driving the activity out there. I'm guessing the public courses are operating at 75% capacity overall but there is way more than 25% over capacity in the area so the tee time tightness is being driven by demand. I understand that kids sports activities are starting soon. That and beaches opening up I think the pressure valve will be released. On the other hand, a few nice courses here have been saved by this so it's a good thing too.

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:50 pm

Not crowded over here yet but the tourists will come eventually. All good for now. Playing almost daily. :up
Tee it up!

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:06 pm

Finally got my injury diagnosed by sports orthopedic doctor. My golf is officially over for awhile. It was already on hold, but this makes it official. I'm sure I made it worse by trying to play on a few occasions right after the 7 week layoff due to Covid-19 shutdown.

The injury is a moderate-level, intercostal strain, with the possibility of a hairline rib fracture, which was not clearly determined on the Xray. Whether it's fractured or not, the recovery and therapy is the same. It will not heal without rest and PT. The good news is the rib isn't obviously broken. Need MRI for more info. Can't afford MRI. So I'm out for another four weeks, at least. It will be July before I can ease back into full swings. In the meantime, will be working on strengthening core through PT. (And trying to lose the guestimated 4 lbs. I've probably gained since the shutdown began by getting far less exercise.

Another gorgeous golf day, another day I sit home and whine. Tomorrow too. And the next and the next and the....

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:16 pm

Four weeks? Uh oh. We will be here for you man. I haven't played since February and look at me I'm doing alright. Not happy about the zero golf but on the other hand, in the time since I have probably improved somewhat as an overall person, and I suspect not playing golf has a lot to do with that.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:11 pm

Get well Doug. Golf needs you. Use the PT to get some good golf fitness advice - it added 10 yards to my game several years ago.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:30 pm

Bummer, @DougE. Get well!
I'm gonna go low this time...

CeeBee

Post by CeeBee » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:34 pm

Hang in there Doug. Meanwhile I play on. 😎
Tee it up!

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:57 am

Get well @DougE.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:43 am

DougE wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:06 pm
Finally got my injury diagnosed by sports orthopedic doctor. My golf is officially over for awhile. It was already on hold, but this makes it official. ...Another gorgeous golf day, another day I sit home and whine. Tomorrow too. And the next and the next and the....
As a person who has had a few injury induced breaks from golf, I totally relate to the disappointment/depression you are feeling. You were playing some your best golf prior to the strain so this is a double whammy. All I can offer is my hope you heal quickly. I know you will perform the PT religiously. Don't rush things and come back better in July. There will be a lot of golf left in 2020 when you are fixed.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:26 am

By the time I get back to golf (recovery does not seem to be progressing very well), I expect I will clock in at about a 20 handicap level. Any skills I once had feel like they have already left the building. I can only hope I can work my way back up to a single-digit. However, the way things stand now, I am finding it hard to believe I will ever be able to play to that level again, let alone the 4.8 index with which I finished last season. This injury has really taken the life out of me, physically and emotionally. :bawl

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Pay no mind people. I've heard this one before. Dougie is the boy who cried suckage.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:01 pm

I just looked it up. I've called Doug that exact name on three separate occasions going back to 2016. I hope that gives you some perspective.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:36 pm

Those times I was in slumps and just sucked. This is different. I can't even swing a club now. Recovery from this injury seems as if there is no end in sight yet.

I had a calf muscle (gastrocnemius muscle) blow out a few years back and was told I needed to stay off of it by the doctor for 4-6 weeks. Within a couple weeks it felt a lot better. Around three weeks in, I decided I was okay and began playing again, though carefully to start. When I went back to see the doctor I got the okay to begin playing golf. I didn't mention I had already started two weeks earlier. This injury is very different. I have seen no improvement in over 4 weeks, playing no golf. None. I couldn't swing even if I wanted to. At this pace, even July isn't looking promising. I'm honestly worried my treatment plan is not addressing whatever the issue is. I should feel SOME decrease in discomfort by now. I am thinking the doctor is barking up the wrong tree. Yes, I likely had an intercostal tear (and maybe even a cracked rib) as was diagnosed. In fact that area feels a lot better. However, my lat area, not too far from that rib tear/fracture feels worse. I always said it felt like two different injuries. Now it feels like only one, but one which is incapacitating me to the point where golf seems far off.

But thanks for your :quotez 2020 Summer golf support, Beef.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:42 pm

People make errors, even physicians. Time to get a second opinion. Screw the cost, this is literally an issue with life changing potential. Don't wait until September. Go now.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:20 pm

I've been having golf dreams about once a week. When I swing during a dream I feel unusually lucid and awake, that is to say I think the same kind of swing thoughts as I would in waking life. It feels rather good and real, unlike running which is usually a part of a frustrating nightmare. But I can't seem to get more than one shot in per dream. It's usually a couple practice swings, then I hit the ball, but then I have to go do something else, like build a go-kart with my ex-landlord or something.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:36 pm

Went back to the doctor today and got the ball placed in my court. I have improved over the last week, but still far from 100%. Or even 80%. There is still discomfort, but doc thinks I'm good. Maybe I'm just gun shy now. I am not ready to play 18 yet, but the doc said I should start easy practicing when I feel comfortable. I don't yet, but plan to start chipping and pitching over the next few days/week and maybe some easy full swings to see where it stands. I'll ice everyday and work up to playing a few holes once I know I can swing a driver without doing damage. I expect to play some real golf within a couple weeks, but I am not going to push it. Having been sidelined for 3 1/2 months, I do not want to go backward in my recovery. I will also be strengthening my core as part of the physical therapy. That is my primary focus of the PT now until my script for it runs out.

Not expecting much of a game for awhile, but have my sights set on eventually giving @GBOGEY a run for his proverbial money. He IS the King, remember. For now, I'll be happy to break 90 when I finally get back out there. But simply breaking 90 won't keep me satisfied for long.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:47 pm

Hoping you'll be back soon. At this point you will catch me pretty quickly. I had a stellar run in June but it's now July and today was a different story. In fairness, I played 2.5 hours of tennis last night in feels like "95" weather and then went out today in feels like "100." Probably shouldn't have walked. I was completely wasted at the end and my round stunk today.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:01 am

INJURY UPDATE:

Yesterday evening, I began my return to golf.

With the exception of the two or three times I tried to play in pain after the Corona Virus shutdown, it has been FOUR months since I played for real.

Over the last two weeks, I had been chipping and pitching in my backyard and even made a few full wedge shots. Last week, with the blessing of my sports-doctor, I worked up to taking full swings with longer irons and driver using AlmostGolf balls, without any increase in pain after the fact, as had been happening a few months prior when I tried to return after the shutdown. The muscle that has been the main issue in my back is still not healed completely to the point where I no longer feel discomfort, yet it does not seem to be going backward the next day after I work it, whether in physical therapy or swinging a club in the yard.

So, I was just waiting for a time to try to get out on the course, alone, to see if I could actually hit real balls. I had no interest in trying to do so on the range. There are too many prying, judgemental eyes there who know me, yet don't know the extent of my injury. I was in no mood to give anyone any satisfaction at seeing my rusty swing and possibly opining on how poorly I'm swinging to others around the club. (Kind of a Donald Trump thing; never let them see you in a weakened state, so to speak. I hate to admit I have anything in common with that man, but...) So, I decided to just go find my swing on the course.

I waited to tee off until nearly 7 pm. There were still many people around, but the tee was quiet, so I snuck off without any audience. No range warm up. Hit my first drive okay. Nothing to write home about, but in the fairway, about 20 yards short of my normal landing area. Left approach 15 yards short, then chipped 6 feet past and missed the putt. Bogey. But respectable. A little better drive on the second. Another bogey, another respectable few swings. This went on for the first five holes.

I was actually only planning to go out on the course to play two or three holes just to test myself and see what I had left of my swing after all this time off. The swing is certainly not feeling correct yet, but it wasn't painful to my back. Good news. I decided to go on after getting up and down on the 5th for my first par in 2 months. Then on the par 3, 6th over water, playing 168 yards, I hit a 6-iron to 8 feet. My best shot of the day. Missed the birdie putt, but made my second par in a row. Made another on the 7th. Still no back pain. Kept going.

Made a terribly fat tee shot on par 3, 8th, which ended in DB, but hitting the ground did not jar the muscle as I thought it might. Still no pain.

Hell, I've gone this far, might as well finish nine. Another par (though only my second GIR). I was encouraged and excited. It was getting dark. I pushed on anyway. Played 10 and 11, too. 11 complete holes, plus some extra shots for the hell of it, after planning to try only two or three. And I could have gone on, but for the darkness. No additional pain or discomfort since I teed off. In fact I think I felt better. Maybe it was the euphoria of feeling the game again on the course....or maybe I just needed to start using the muscle to really loosen it up. Or, maybe it was the three Advil I took before teeing off. I don't know, but it's now Sunday morning and my back feels as good or better than it did yesterday morning.

Now, I'm anxious to figure out what's not working in my swing. Once I do, I'm comin' for you, @GBOGEY. ;)