WTF did you buy today?

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Is there anywhere on the Titleist website where it shows what each grind is? Like with a picture of the sole of the club and an area highlighted that gets ground down?

I would find that more useful for me to pick out a grind than just letting their questionnaire tell me what grind I want.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef
dogs: 1

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:07 pm

I know right? Just give people the goddamn info. Sorry Doug but f you titleist. Arrogant douches. They might as well give you one of those asshole disclaimers. "IF ANYTHING IN THIS VOKEY WEDGE GRAPHIC CAUSES CONFUSION, IGNORE THE ENTIRE THING." Gad I am so sick of everyone right now.

This was helpful:

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/titleist-v ... ID=1044740
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm

Actually fuck that shit I just screen cap for everyone.
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 1.08.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 1.08.34 PM.png (229.9 KiB) Viewed 304 times

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Some of the grind options people mentioned above aren't listed
D
V
W
??
Keep it short stupid.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:36 pm

It's insane that they don't just have that info on the Titleist website.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:00 pm

They do. Pics and descriptions of each grind. All the specs are there too.

https://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/wedges/sm7
Scroll down the page.

And I'm not sure what GBogey is talking about, but I don't know of a W grind. At least not in an SM7 or SM6.

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:06 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm
Actually fuck that shit I just screen cap for everyone.

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 1.08.34 PM.png
Those are not the current wedges. Those are the previous model, SM6. See my post directly above for the link to the SM7s.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:31 pm

W is an upside down M - my bad

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:16 pm

Got some lead tape for the JGR Driver and 3 hybrid, hopefully that will stop the hooks.
Throw me another ball will ya!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:37 am

So Ms Beef got me a 54.08 M-grind SM7 in tour chrome for my birthday. Yay. This will be my first new golf club in about 8 years. That's right, when it comes to golf equipment, I am a homeless drifter basically, owning barely enough gear with which to complete 18 holes of golf. Anyways I will now retire my old 54.12 Nike "VR" forged wedge which was a pretty nice club too, with a decent grind of its own. Yes I realize the new club has 4 fewer degrees of bounce than my old. Guess I will have to adapt, or else just accept hitting everything fat from now on. We'll see. :fkno

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:59 pm

I love this SM7 Vokey wedge. I am attached to it already. When I look at it, I feel good. The sand wedge is always my number one club, in the sense that I use it the most during practice--full shots, pitch, and chipping. And it is delivering on the course too. Thank you to DougE and all the other fine people at Titleist.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:44 am

Glad to be of service, boss.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:00 am

Doug,
My wife is asking what I want for Christmas. I need a new pair of "dry" golf shoes. I normally got the cheap fj countour fit or something like that, but don't see them. I'm likely going to just buy them on Amazon.

What are a few different good shoes to keep dry in? (Obviously dryjoys but need a few choices for size/color combo)
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:38 am

I will assume you want a model with cleats. Not one of the more sneakery looking designs. If I'm wrong about that then I can suggest those from what I know, but not as much from experience. I only wear spiked golf shoes. The kind that can be re-spiked.

There are a bunch of different DryJoys Tour available at present. I have white w/white croc saddle (3rd pair of this design), white w/navy croc, white w/black croc and black w/black croc. There is also a version of white with brown croc still available at a nice discount floating around at some of the online retailers. They are a 2017 model I think, but look exactly the same as the 2018 version, with the same warranty. Pricing varies, but I have seen them (the brown saddle ones) for $129 on sale. So far, I have not found any of the other Dryjoys from 2018 for less than $189 from a reputable dealer. I don't do brown, so it's the only option in the Dryjoys Tour line I don't have in my locker.

Footjoy replaced their Contours and Greenjoys with the newer FJ Originals line. They look a lot like Contours to me. They only have a 1-year waterproof warranty, but they are cheap like the Contours were. Around 80 bucks. They are not leather like the Dryjoys are. But I have heard they are extremely comfortable. They too, are more of a traditional looking shoe.

If you are looking for something more casual, that goes well with shorts, without looking like sneakers, I like the FJ Sport. I have had many pairs of them since 2012 and still play in 3 or 4 pairs in various color trims. All of them have kept me dry. They have a 1 year waterproof guarantee, but the newest ones available as far as I know are the previous season model, yet Dick's sold them in their stores all year long, and still do. So they still have stock and they are discounted a little. I used to pay $129/pr when I bought them as current models. I think you can get them now for around $90. They are called Sport LT now. I don't know if they will be back in the line next year.

I love the new Tour S model shoes for a modern look, with shorts. They're sharp. All leather. But at $200 a pair, I'm guessing they are not what you are looking for. They do have a great guarantee, though.

Let me know if you need more info.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:25 pm

I second the Sport LT recommendation. Not leather but guaranteed waterproof for 1 year, around $100 and really nice looking. They sit a little lower than the Contours (which is where I was coming from before those) and I prefer that. I’ve got them in white (and silver) and also in black (and silver). Both look great and are super-comfortable.
I'm gonna go low this time...

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:58 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:00 am
Doug,
My wife is asking what I want for Christmas. I need a new pair of "dry" golf shoes. I normally got the cheap fj countour fit or something like that, but don't see them. I'm likely going to just buy them on Amazon.

What are a few different good shoes to keep dry in? (Obviously dryjoys but need a few choices for size/color combo)
Doug answered before I could add my question - know anything about the Tour-S or DNA Helix - I'm thinking one of those is my XMas present. Have you heard anything about that tightening device on some shoes - seems a little too funky for me but curious if others like it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:00 pm

That tightening device is the Boa feature. If you want to feel like you are in a ski boot that was custom fit, the Boa option is a good idea. However, the pump looks kinda silly to me. I don't have that feature on any of my shoes. I fit nicely into a plain old 11M Footjoy, no matter which model. Some people need a more custom fit. I can usually take a pair of Dryjoys out of the box on day one and go walk 18 holes without discomfort.

Personally, I don't think the original DNA is one of FJs best designs, especially if you tend to walk on the outsides or insides of your feet. Does one side of your regular everyday shoes wear down before the other? If so, I don't think the side support of the DNA is ideal. They seem to have a more narrow sole. Though the quality of this shoe is very good, I don't like the way the outside and inside edges of your feet seem to overhang the narrower soles of the DNA. The newer Helix versions may be better, I don't know, but I was turned off to the DNA when they first came out in 2014/15 and haven't really paid much attention to them since. IMO, if you are going to be transferring weight to the outsides and/or insides of your feet during the various parts of a swing (which would be expected), a wider sole makes more sense. I the Tour S is a lot better. It has a much more stable base/sole. The cleats are positioned further to the outside and frankly, that appeals more to me. I like feeling that I have support well to the outside and/or inside of the shoe, not only for weight transfer and leverage, but walking on steeper side slopes.

IMO, the Dryjoys have an extremely stable base. If you like a traditional-looking, top-quality golf shoe, you can't beat them. The crocodile saddle and back panel add a nice high end, yet understated touch.

Now, if you really want an absolutely gorgeous pair of classic golf shoes, a pair which you can bet will not be worn by anyone else in your foursome, or likely even anyone else on the course, check out the new 1857 line. Back in the day, I was a real clothes horse. I had a few bucks back then. Not so much anymore. (Still a clothes horse, just no bucks anymore.) But if I were to hit Lotto or make some other big score someday soon, I will have a closet full of this line. They're $750/pr.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:57 am

My wife already pushed back on my desire for a Scotty for Christmas, so my guess is a $750 pair of shoes is out.

Unfortunately, I appear to have lost my winter golf vest which is pretty essential to certain types of weather, so now I have a 2nd golf item to request besides the shoes.

Still dreaming of a Scotty - maybe when I turn 55 next year. Maybe Titleist has a senior discount.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:23 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:57 am

Still dreaming of a Scotty - maybe when I turn 55 next year. Maybe Titleist has a senior discount.
Mine was retailing at $399, plus tax, back in 2015. I was a senior AND a member of Team Titleist. I got a great deal. It cost me $399, plus tax. :facepalm

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:42 am

Exactly! Actually from my online research I thought I was going to fall in love with the Concept X - over $600 - but I tried one in the golf store and really didn't like it. I found a used one in mint condition online, but it wasn't clear that the head cover was included - what's the point of having a Scotty if no headcover.

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Don't get me started on head covers. My Scotty original 2015 cover is starting to lose its velcro clasping ability and the seam has also started to split. After removing and replacing the cover on the head of my Newport 2, probably over 10,000 times on, and 10,000 times off, over the last 3 years, I'll cut it some slack. It has taken far more abuse than should be expected. I was going to buy a new one from Scotty Cameron, but they are no longer available through them. Part of the reason they are out of stock is because they sell them in quantity to outside vendors who then turn around and sell them at a premium once the SC site exhausts its stock. I can find them online at various places for 5-20 bucks more than the SC list price of $35.

So, that said, I starting thinking about replacing it with one of those more creative Scotty Cameron Custom Shop designer head covers that typically sell for anywhere from $150-500 or more, depending on how rare it might be. In Japan, the one I want sells regularly for $370 (yes, for a head cover), but it isn't even one of the very rare editions. It's one of the more popular designs. The Jackpot Johnny. The average price here in the States is $110 on Ebay, new, in package, guaranteed to be authentic. (These are highly counterfeited. SC recommends buying through one of his proven reputable resellers.) There are crazy guys out there who collect these things like stamps. I know one on Team Titleist who has over 30 different designs, most of which are the more rare designs. So I'm not that crazy, relatively speaking. I just want one, or two. Maybe five...or six, max.

There are so many more important things that I need or want, which could help my golf game, but I am now on the hunt for a gray/charcoal version of the Jackpot Johnny. It's the most understated color choice available in that particular design. Then again, a red version might also be nice for days when I'm feeling wild. Maybe a day when I wear a pair of my FJ Sports instead of my traditional Dryjoys. For those who may not follow Scotty Cameron Custom Shop covers, they make a limited number of each design and when they are gone, the only way you can get one is typically be the highest bidder. I bid on a gray & charcoal Jackpot Johnny last week and got my final bid in literally 1 or 2 seconds late. I wanted to wait til the last second and it took too long for my bid to register in time. It sold for $93. Woulda been a great deal, huh? :facepalm

https://www.scottycameron.com/archives/ ... ndard-red/
This is the red one. The gray/charcoal is same design, but much quieter. No colors.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:16 am

That, I just don’t understand. Not saying you’re crazy Doug, but I don’t get it at all.

I take the cover off of my putter on the first tee, store it in my bag and don’t put it back on until I get to the car. I have a putter well in my bag and the head does not cling against all the other clubs, so I don’ feel the need to do the off again, on again routine. To each his own I guess. :ohyeah
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:43 am

I put mine on after every hole. But mine is held on with magnets.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:48 am

sjduffers wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:16 am
That, I just don’t understand. Not saying you’re crazy Doug, but I don’t get it at all.
Nope, I'm crazy. No doubt about that.

Frankly, up until recently, I could not understand why anyone would spend hundreds of dollars on a putter head cover either. Then, somewhere along the line, I must have inadvertently consumed some of that Scotty Cameron head cover kool-aid. :facepalm

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:19 am

I only buy putter covers with magnets now since the velcro wears out. I've had good luck with Stitch golf among others - I like fun.