WTF did you buy today?

Duke of Hazards

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by Duke of Hazards » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm

DougE wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:00 pm
After 6 or 7 years of playing with a Bushnell Tour V2 range finder, I finally broke down and got a V4 Shift to replace it. (On/Off Slope version.) I have wanted one for the last couple years, but couldn't swallow the cost, which has increased over the past year by about 100 bucks at retail for some reason. I found a good deal on this one---closer to what they were selling for before the increase--- and PayPal gave me 6 months of free, no-interest financing, so I bit the bullet.

My V2 still works perfectly and will be in my back-up stand bag. I used to always forget to take it with me when I carried that bag. I would take all my clubs out of my staff bag and put them in my stand bag when I was going to go out to walk, but for some reason, more often than not, I would forget to take my rangefinder. Won't have that problem anymore.
Circumstances pointed a gun at your head to make that purchase, Doug. You did the right thing.
Bluto did it

DougE
dogs: 1

Post by DougE » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:02 pm

jasonfish11 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:04 pm
Doug have you looked in to super speed golf? I know you always talk about not hitting it very "far" even though I think you do a good job of getting it out there.

I read a lot about SSG in wrx and decided to give a modified version of it a try. Over the last 6ish months I've been spending a little time 2-3 times a week focusing on nothing but ball speed on m skytrak. I started with ball speeds in the 140's after I got to a "functional" point in my swing changes. That was when I was really taking a rip at the ball. That is probably where your ball speed is if I had to guess. Now I can hit 160-165 on command. My "normal" swing is around 155-160 pretty consistently. With my launch conditions this is about a 255 yard carry.

If you want to get more distance I really am a believer that spending 2 days a week maybe 15 min each time focusing on nothing but speed will increase your distance without a dramatic effect on your degrees of dispersion. Obviously 10 yards further with the same dispersion will result in more missed FWs to be fair.

I think the big keys arent necessarily using the SSG sticks (over and under weighted) although that might help quicker. I think the big key is having something to record data. You can get a radar that will measure club head speed for $100 or so which would be sufficient as long as it's consistent. It doesn't even matter if it's not accurate as long as it's consistent. The goal is to see progress and what drives "speed" in your swing.

I'd highly recommend SSG or doing something similar (like I did) if your goal is to gain distance.
I am familiar with the SSG system. It has been highly touted all over the place lately. I agree that speed is so important to distance. And, as much as I would truly love to add distance to my driver--or ball speed--I feel my physical limitations (bad shoulders) might play a role in stunting my progress, unless I am willing to just let my shoulders fall off. I have to swing in control in order to get through a round without needing to ice my shoulder(s) afterward. (And I know you are not suggesting that I swing harder or out of control.) Too many days in a row of swinging too aggressively and I will be digging myself a hole of which I may not be able to dig out from without surgery. So I am very protective of my shoulders.

I do actually own a SS Radar, which does not show ballspeed, but only clubhead speed. However, there is no question that my ballspeed has increased overall with this new TS2. It's probably due to this being the highest MOI Titleist driver ever made. I am not swinging any faster, but the ball jumps off the face and travels further, no question. My swingspeed is about the same. 93-95 mph. I hit the center of the clubface more consistently when I swing at this speed, though I can get it up over 100 mph. Doesn't necessarily make the ball go further, though. My smash factor is much better at 93-95 than it is at 100. If the SSG system could help not only with adding swing speed (without overswinging, which I think it does in theory), but also with center contact consistency, I'd be really interested. However, if it means more aggravation to my shoulders, it isn't worth it.

In the summer, I can carry the ball 220-230. Depending on course conditions, that can end up well over 250 with roll. I am basically satisfied with that, but of course, would be happier with 270. That would certainly make the game easier. My measly little 45 or 46% GIR rate would surely go well over 50%. For this old guy, I can't complain. (But I often do. ;) )

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:04 pm

To be clear I don't use SSG. I just use some of it's principals with my driver. So I'm not really a perfect person to respond.

But what I notice is that yes I would be worried about worsening your shoulder by doing it.

The goal is to swing as fast as you can with no regards to anything else. For me this involved a lot of crazy out of control swings and crap. Until I realized I get a faster result by staying in control and changing how my hands work. To be fair when I try to get ball speeds over 160 it normally results in me leaving the face open and a push, but again when I'm doing that I'm only worried about speed.

But with shoulder issues, I'd worry that only concentrating on speed would result in some crazy swings early on that might cause injury.
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 am

Purchased a fresh set of Pure DTX grips for my upcoming Florida trip.
Throw me another ball will ya!

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:28 am

MattF wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 am
I was just there for 8 days at Christmas, but am headed back at the end of the month for a couple weeks. Sarasota/Bradenton area. When and where are you headed?

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 am

A back up range finder? DougE truly is a golfer with everything. :up
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 am
Doesn't make me any better. Just more prepared.

I was an ocean sailor most of my life. Anticipation and preparation are just natural ingredients that run through my veins.

I'm also anal (but I assume you have all already figured that out by now).

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am

DougE wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:28 am
MattF wrote:
I was just there for 8 days at Christmas, but am headed back at the end of the month for a couple weeks. Sarasota/Bradenton area. When and where are you headed?
If I know MattF I'd say he's headed for the Ft Myers/Naples area.
Build a bridge and get over it.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:16 am

DougE wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am
bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 am
Doesn't make me any better. Just more prepared.

I was an ocean sailor most of my life. Anticipation and preparation are just natural ingredients that run through my veins.

I'm also anal (but I assume you have all already figured that out by now).
:school People are not anal, they are anal retentive. Well I suppose certain people could be called anal. Anyways sorry, just a pet peeve of mine since high school psychology class.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:09 am

You are correct. I am anal retentive, which is the correct term. Anal, for short. ;)

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:10 pm

DougE wrote:
MattF wrote:
Last 2 weeks of March. We stay with the in-laws in Bonita Springs...there's a PGASS 20 minutes down Tamiami Trail from where we stay.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:11 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am
DougE wrote:
MattF wrote:
If I know MattF I'd say he's headed for the Ft Myers/Naples area.
:up :clapping

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm

I lost my range finder at PGA West in Palm Springs... so I was going to get the V4 without the slope.
Do you guys think its worth the $$ for some slope?

I have some $$ at the Pro shop after the Superbowl tournament last year. The last one was 200 ish, i can't believe the new ones costs as much as they do.

Speaking of this, who uses range finders, vs watches, vs cellphone gps or something else?

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:19 pm

I want to get some new grips, i have been playing those Jumbo Max grips for 5-6 years, the rubber has gone bad ( 120 degrees in the garage in the summer ).

I want something big, but not quite as big as the super jumbos.

Any thoughts / recommendations?

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:51 pm

So much depends on what feels good to you. I play Golf Pride MCC grips in Midsize. They may feel nice if you like a bit wider diameter. I actually have been playing these for years, but the new MCC +4 grips are starting to appeal to me. The lower hand portion is like having 4 extra wraps. Overall it's less tapered. Much easier to grip the club softly, as Hogan describes, like holding a small bird. These are not inexpensive grips, about $11 each at retail. They are the most played grips on Tour. I love the feel of them. I change them 3-4 times a year, playing 150-200 rounds, plus practice.

Don't know how you can possibly get years out of a grip, particular sitting in the garage in heat. I just changed my wife's grips after hers sat in the garage for a year. She went to use them last year in FL and found them sticky and disintegrating in her hands.

I also like the new Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord. Firmer and also available in midsize. If that isn't big enough, you can always add extra wraps of tape. I am constantly experimenting with various numbers of extra wraps, but frankly, the normal single wrap with a midsize MCC seems to be just right for me.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:17 pm

gpickin wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm
I lost my range finder at PGA West in Palm Springs... so I was going to get the V4 without the slope.
Do you guys think its worth the $$ for some slope?

I have some $$ at the Pro shop after the Superbowl tournament last year. The last one was 200 ish, i can't believe the new ones costs as much as they do.

Speaking of this, who uses range finders, vs watches, vs cellphone gps or something else?
My opinion is get the slope version, since they are no longer outlawed (as long as it is switched to the non-slope display) for tournament play. For me, with 90% of my rounds on my home course, I don't need it (slope) as much there anymore, since I know the course so well, but I am sure it will still be somewhat enlightening for some of our elevated greens, tees and/or fairways. It's a hilly course, but very subtle. Sometimes you don't even realize how much slope there is. When you play new places, it seems it'd be really helpful.

The extra cost isn't THAT much for the slope version and when amortized out over how much I use my rangefinder, it works out to a few pennies a round for me over the course of its anticipated life. (I had my last one for 6 or 7 years, averaging 140-150 rounds a year.)

I once thought my V2 was the best thing since sliced bread. Then I got my V4 Shift and now am not sure how I ever lived without the slope option. And to think 20 years ago, sprinkler heads were all the rage!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:17 pm

gpickin wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm
I use a dedicated GPS (an older model Garmin G3). Uses re-chargeable AA batteries. Garmin give free updates and there is no annual fee. Gives me front, back and middle of the green. I use a GPS because I am basically lazy. A range finder is going to give one a more accurate read most of the time.
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:53 pm

I got my Footjoys in the mail today. I tried them on though, and not feeling any joy yet. My last pair were cheaper models, Superlites or something. But definitely made a better first impression. When I first put those on, I felt some joy. These Freestyle (2.0)'s feel I dunno, bulky. Guess I need to play some golf in them before I really make a judgment.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:09 pm

I'm in the rangefinder camp. It's the only thing I use.

Mine does not have slope because I'm too cheap to upgrade. Also there are no inclines/declines in Virginia Beach.
Keep it short stupid.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:46 pm

I bought some recycled Pro-V1 AAA balls on ebay. I rather like the AAA grades as they include all sorts of interesting logos and slogans (Mo's Ball, Farm Bureau Insurance, L.A. Clippers logo)
Bluto did it

gpickin

Post by gpickin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:46 pm

My brother has Golf Pride MCC +4 and I liked them, so maybe i will pull the trigger on these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-13x-Golf-P ... UAadWv4P7k

As for Golf Shoes, I love these new New Balance I got a while back

Ok, I'll make sure I get the slope one.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:57 pm

Speaking of an interesting message on a ball, I found a Titleist AVX the other day at my club that said:

Happy Holidays
This Lost Ball is
a Gift from RSH

I'm guessing none of you are RSH. So I won't bother thanking you.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:03 pm

gpickin wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:46 pm
My brother has Golf Pride MCC +4 and I liked them, so maybe i will pull the trigger on these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-13x-Golf-P ... UAadWv4P7k
That seems like a really good price. Just make sure they aren't counterfeit. As long as the seller seems to have a good rep, I wouldn't worry too much.

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm

I did find a lost (yellow) AVX ball a couple of weeks ago. I have played with it for several rounds and it still looks like new: how? I don't know. I like it ok around the greens, but it feels odd on contact, especially with the driver. Also, I think it doesn't fly as far as the other 2 kinds of balls I use the most: Callaway Chrome Soft and Titleist ProV1x. It could be something wrong with this one ball. I don't know. I'll try again later and maybe buy a sleeve or something...
I'm gonna go low this time...

DougE

Post by DougE » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Actually, I didn't buy anything, but I received a nice surprise from Titleist in the mail. They send me things from time to time in appreciation for my contributions to their forums and my brand loyalty in general. Today I got a not-sold-at-retail TeamTitleist tee shirt. Along with it came a bag of Titleist tees, a bumper sticker and a personal note from one of the Titleist administrators of whom I deal with on a regular basis. Over the years I have received many of these little surprises, and every one of them with a personal, handwritten note from someone I have interacted with over the internet or by phone. I don't normally like surprises, generally speaking, but I always love Titleist surprises when they show up.

FWIW, that limited edition t-shirt could probably sell for over $100 in an online auction, though I would never sell any Titleist gift. IMO, anyone who does try to sell gifts from Titleist online, doesn't deserve to receive it in the first place.

I always make a habit of sending a thank you card--handwritten--back to whichever Titleist associate sent me the gift.