WTF did you buy today?

DougE
dogs: 1

Re: WTF did you buy today?

Post by DougE » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:37 am

I am really surprised you got 25% off a current Ping product at any big box store. TM, Callaway, Cobra, yes. But Ping or Titleist don't usually allow retailers to discount their stuff. Must be something new coming out soon (if not already) to replace the 410 series.

srogers13

Post by srogers13 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:45 pm

I was surprised to, even for a one year old driver. But the Ping 410 was just dropped by $100. And honestly, the 410 was also available for a 25% discount. I just liked the 400 better
I will stand in the fairway, I want to be out of your range.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:45 pm

I got this bag for my birthday (in black, not red). I've been using a ratty Golfsmith stand bag from early 2000's. This is a big upgrade.
It's basically a cart bag, but with legs, which makes it a hybrid, I guess. Has tons of pockets for all sorts of crap. I'm not shoulder carrying any more, so don't need the dual straps.
I mostly ride or use a pushcart (hand me down Clicgear 2.0).

Been playing more golf than ever. Now I need some new wedges since mine are old and used up.

Bluto did it

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Got a pack of Taylormade TP5 'Pix' bawlz. They were cheap, they perform well enough, and the graphics are distinctive at least. I like the Callaway Truvis but they are like, the most expensive ball out there. More manufacturers should put out patterned balls. Give the people what they want.

Build a bridge and get over it.

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:30 pm

The TP5s pictured above get lost very easily in the autumn leaves. Jus' sayin'. Don't mean to rain on your Christmas.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:48 pm

That makes sense. I found three of them on the same hole earlier this year. I got lucky and didn't lose any yesterday. If they get lost easily that's fine with me, I will just try harder to hit it good.

Also, I got a Sta-Soft glove for Ms. Beef's Xmas stocking. I think it's her first nice cabretta player's type glove. Pro shops don't usually carry much in a ladies small size, usually just the fake leather shit. Will have to wait though, we're both still loving the Wintersofts.

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:33 pm

Think I might buy a new set of irons. My Mizuno's have a mismatched club, my PINGs are now 10 years old I think, and my 4 iron is broken (the backlight thing fell out). Plus I'm getting older and think I might need a lighter shaft. anyway, I'm thinking about these PING G700's because they just went on sale.
Everything Sucks

MattF

Post by MattF » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:52 am

@jfurr get the most forgiving iron you can stand looking at.
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:01 am

jfurr wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:33 pm
... I'm getting older ...
Hold on a second. Getting older is becoming 60 (or 70, or 80 …). Anyone more than 2 decades away from Medicare can't talk about "getting older" :nope
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:06 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:01 am
jfurr wrote:
Hold on a second. Getting older is becoming 60 (or 70, or 80 …). Anyone more than 2 decades away from Medicare can't talk about "getting older" :nope
Gonna have to agree. Someone of Furr's age and constitution should not be thinking about senior shafts. :fkno

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:26 pm

Well, I'm now well inside that 2 decades. So does that mean I can talk about getting older?

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:50 pm

MattF wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:26 pm
Well, I'm now well inside that 2 decades. So does that mean I can talk about getting older?
Yes! And also you can carp about "kids", the various parts of your body that hurt or don't work too well, and advances in technology. :school
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:58 pm

I want to put a lower bounce, 62 degree wedge in the bag, on occasion. So...I bought a 21* Titleist 818H2 hybrid a few days ago. Huh..what?

It arrived today. Let me explain. (I know, no one cares, but humor me. Besides, there's not much other golf-related content here lately.)

It has a Tensei Blue, stiff shaft in it, the same as my Titleist 818H1 19* has in it. So I already know I like the shaft, since I love the performance and consistency I get from my 19*. However, the 21* gives me the ability to set the loft to 20* and then take both my 19* hybrid AND my 4 iron (22*) out of the bag, leaving me room to add the 62.08 Vokey. (I have often longed to have that extra-high lofted, lower bounce wedge for short-sided shots from around the green when conditions are a good fit for it.)

If I set the new 21* 818H2 (the H2 is the more iron-like, smaller headed brother of the H1) to 22*, it can also also give me the ability to remove my 4 iron at times when the rough is overgrown or wet, or both. In those type rough conditions, pulling off a good long distance shot with a 4 iron would be unlikely. (Let's face it, I don't have the swing speed for that anymore. Not sure I ever did.) A small-headed hybrid would be much more efficient in that. And, I'd be less likely to need the 62* low bounce wedge when the rough is that thick, since more bounce is needed in heavy rough. So, my 58.12 should do the trick. The 62* can stay in the trunk and I'll play two hybrids. I have options. I like it.

My proficiency with wedges, I feel, is very good, if I do say so myself. I practice my short game endlessly, working on virtually every type of shot you can imagine. A day does not go by that I do not have a wedge in my hands working on something. I have tons of confidence in that part of my game, so I feel adding another wedge, albeit one that might not be considered an easy wedge to handle for most, would be a big plus for certain circumstances, conditions and tough pin locations.

Earlier this week, I played with my club pro's Vokey 62.08 and fell in love with it. There were so many situations around the green where it was helpful, plus it was perfect for a 60-65 yard, full swing approach shot over a hazard, as opposed to having to make the perfect partial-swing with my 58* wedge (which I normally hit 75-85 yards with a full swing). More importantly though, it was almost effortless for me to make those very short mini-flops around the green to downhill or short-sided pins. I am sure a 62* Vokey would be a very impressive weapon for me. But, I need to make space in the bag to add one. So, THAT's why I bought a 21* hybrid. Flexibility.

My next addition to this thread will likely be a 62.08 M-grind Vokey wedge. The club pro said he'd sell me his SM7 for 80 bucks. It looks virtually new. (I doubt it's been played more than a round or two.) It already has a shaft in it that works for me. Same one as my other Vokeys. He'll just use the 80 bucks to order himself another at his dealer cost, which is around 80 bucks. Everybody's happy.

I already have my order in for two new SM8s which will be released in a few weeks. I'm upgrading my old, worn-out 54.10S and 58.12D SM7s. So, you'll likely get another long-winded post from me when those arrive, which I'm guessing you won't read either.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:56 pm

Read it all the way!

Not putting my new SM7 into play until the real season starts in March. I'm a year behind, but got them on sale.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:36 pm

GBOGEY wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:56 pm
Read it all the way!
I truly appreciate your time and effort. :up Thanks for your support, Phil.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:11 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:50 pm
MattF wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:26 pm
Yes! And also you can carp about "kids", the various parts of your body that hurt or don't work too well, and advances in technology. :school
Beautiful!

jfurr

Post by jfurr » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:31 pm

legitimatebeef wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:06 am
bkuehn1952 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:01 am
jfurr wrote:
Gonna have to agree. Someone of Furr's age and constitution should not be thinking about senior shafts. :fkno
Regular Flex steel (instead of Stiff Flex) - not senior shafts...
Everything Sucks

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:56 pm

I bought 2 single irons (5i, 6i) off ebay. Mizuno MP-H5. A little chunkier, more forgiving, higher flying hollow cavity iron. I have it in the 4i currently and love it, been hitting it great, so decided to create myself a combo set with my MP-64s in the 7-pw.
Bluto did it

MattF

Post by MattF » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Not today but put my money down for the Shot Scope V3 early order. Now I wait until May.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:47 pm

I saw the V3. I've debated jumping back into shot tracking and gave serious consideration to ShotScope, but the 2 main negatives were the size/bulk of the watch and the lack of true strokes gained stats (they use something similar called 'strokes to finish', iirc).

They fixed the first issue with V3, which looks pretty normal, but still not convinced on the stats end. Also, the current limitations in GPS really restrict the data quality closer to the hole. Also, shot lies (fairway,rough,sand,recovery) affect strokes gained data and I'm not sure (except for Golfpad, which does) how accurate the data being tracked is. All in all, the tech is intriguing, but it feels like it's still a little half baked at this point, with a lot of user input (i.e. - fiddling) still required.
Bluto did it

DougE

Post by DougE » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:58 pm

My new 2020 Titleist customized Mid-Staff, Team Titleist bag just arrived today. :yess

I will proudly have it sit on display in the WM pro shop for the time being until I play in my first competitive event of this season, later in the Spring. It's way too wet and muddy out there now to be using it everyday. I'd like to keep it in perfect condition for a little while. In the meantime, my 2018 Titleist Mid-Staff bag will suffice. It's pretty beat up after hundreds of rounds and practice sessions over the past two years, but in these crappy winter conditions, it's perfectly fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:27 pm

Dang I have to admit I am a little intimidated by that thing.

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:44 am

Needs a bigger front pocket.
Bluto did it

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:57 am

Nice. Clean lines. I like the colors.

How much do you think it weighs when you have everything you use/store in the bag? I suspect you are more careful about exactly what is in the bag. I have a buddy who tossed all sorts of things into his staff bag. In fact, I would stuff balls I found into his bag. By the end of the season, it would weigh around 60-70 pounds.
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:26 am

bkuehn1952 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:57 am
How much do you think it weighs when you have everything you use/store in the bag? I suspect you are more careful about exactly what is in the bag. I have a buddy who tossed all sorts of things into his staff bag. In fact, I would stuff balls I found into his bag. By the end of the season, it would weigh around 60-70 pounds.
Well, I can certainly confirm that I won't be carrying this bag, other than from the trunk to the cart, or the trunk to my office at home (with a stop in the kitchen to clean clubs in the sink....so I don't have to carry the kitchen sink in the bag!). However, I always have intentions to keep the weight down every time I get a new bag. Within a few weeks though, inevitably, they get heavier than I had hoped. Every month or so, I hold a bag-purge session to save a few pounds.

My present mid-staff bag probably weighs about 40 lbs. at present, with all 14 clubs, two alignment rods and an Orange Whip on board. Since it's winter, I keep some heavier clothing layers, plus hats, earbands, and other cold-weather protection, as well as a rain jacket and rain pants, all in the large apparel pocket. I also have a large first aid packet, club tools, extra towels and a Swiss Army-style golf multi-tool among all the other necessities you might expect. The worst offender is invariably the extra Titleist Pro Vs and AVXs I find along the way. I don't think a day goes by that I don't find at least a couple. The mint ones go into one of the two ball pockets in the front. One gets mint AVXs, the other is where I keep my "practice" mint Pro Vs. This time of year I find many more than I lose, so after a week or so, I can easily accumulate a couple dozen AVXs and another couple dozen of ProVs in those two pockets. That reminds me...time for a purge.

Also, all the ball washers and water stations are presently shut down so they don't freeze. Consequently, there is nowhere to get water for cleaning clubs and balls along the way. So I carry a 16 oz. spray bottle of water in my bag too. What's one more pound?