Post by sjduffers » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:22 pm

:up :up :up

[There were 3 best shots after all] :lolz
I'm gonna go low this time...

bkuehn1952
dogs: 0

Re: Describe Your Best Shot of the Month

Post by bkuehn1952 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:57 pm

Not a lot to choose from this month but with 6 days left, my guess is the chip in on #18 for birdie will stand up.

https://clubsg.skygolf.com/golfers/scor ... Selector=0
Let's Play 36
GHIN Handicap: 7.8 … 9.2 … Let’s just say I am around a 14!

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:16 pm

I don't have these too often it seems. The 18th hole at this course is my nemesis, really the only true hard hole on the course. Long, tough fairway to hit with a really tough two tiered green with a very sharp slope between tiers. If the flag is on the bottom tier, a shot to up top is hosed - nearly impossible to get a ball that hits the slope to stop within 5-8 feet of the hole.

Decent drive to about 180 yards to a bottom tier pin. Haven't been hitting my long clubs well but hit a nice hybrid to the green. First thought was that I was pleased to hit the green. 2nd thought was "oh crap" as the ball is rolling to the top tier and I'm hosed. 3rd thought was "oh boy" as the ball went up the slope, paused, and then slowly started rolling to the hole. 1.5 feet for tap in birdie.

MattF
dogs: 1

Post by MattF » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:47 am

Nice one G!
Throw me another ball will ya!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:11 am

GBOGEY wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:16 pm
... 2nd thought was "oh crap" as the ball is rolling to the top tier and I'm hosed. 3rd thought was "oh boy" as the ball went up the slope, paused, and then slowly started rolling to the hole. 1.5 feet for tap in birdie.
:up
Nice! And we golfers think we always get the bad breaks. This proves that only 99% of the time are the bounces bad.
Let's Play 36

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:03 pm

IMG_5920.jpg
IMG_5920.jpg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 683 times
Here is the best shot anyone has hit this whole month. This is a very long and exceptionally narrow par 5 at Silver Lake. I laid up to right behind this tree, near the 150 marker. At first I debated whether to chip out or else just go for it, aim directly at the OB all along the right and attempt a very low, hot hook 4i to get to the green. This is winter golf, I am playing for nothing except fun and pride. So what reasonable argument could be made for playing safe? The cost of a lost golf ball is all I can think of, and that's a bullshit argument. I kept repeating that dopey line from Ivan Drago in "Rocky IV" or whatever. If he dies, he dies. On the downswing though I was scared, I felt fear. Man I released the club face so hard through impact, it felt like. Contact was flush but I could hardly bear to look. Slowly I walked around the tree, and saw a hot grounder seeking the flag. It stopped at the fringe, almost pin high, 20-25' away. I stood near the divot for a long time just trying to understand. I hate the word amazing, it is way overused, but I was amazed in that moment. They say you should visualize and be confident and shit but I didn't really do either. Just tried my best to setup for the required shot and then to release the club hard. If there was anything exemplary about what I did it was not giving a crap about losing the ball. I think most lousy golfers are capable of crazy shit on the golf course, if we are just willing to go for it.
Build a bridge and get over it.

jasonfish11
dogs: 2

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:39 pm

yeah that is normally when I smash a line drive into that beige house.
Keep it short stupid.

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:32 am

Inspiring! Thank you.

I only played twice in December (1st and 2nd). My final (??) round of 2018 was full of highs and lows, especially the second nine. I got to #18 (a tricky par 5) and managed to get myself to 150 yards away, lying two. A small gale was blowing directly into my face, it was cold and I was tired. The lie was iffy (wet turf and sort of muddy). The green was well bunkered. I needed to get on the green in regulation to assure a final 2018 round in the 70's. I managed to muster up one last solid swing and struck the ball extremely well. So well in fact, I was concerned it would fly the green. The wind and cold put a clamp on that possibility and the ball landed in the center of the green, leaving me a 20 footer for birdie. I was actually sort of disappointed as the shot was headed straight at the flag and it landed soft. Two putts later, 2018 was done (probably!). 77 78. Bring on 2019. ;)
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:44 pm

Today, I hit probably the best shot of MY CAREER! :ohyeah

After catching the top lip of the left fairway bunker on the par 4, 7th hole while trying to cheat the slight dogleg left with my drive, I had 147 yards left to the pin. The bunker had a 6 foot lip in front of me. The green is not visible at all from that position. You have to go uphill another 30 yards forward of the bunker to get over a ridge, before the fairway flattens and then eases slightly downhill to the green. So, I drove up to the top of that ridge to see the pin position and get my bearings. I located a tree way in the background which I would be able to see from the bunker, to use as my target line.

I got in the bunker and knew I wanted a higher lofted club to clear the lip, but also knew I would never get there with a 7 or 8 iron with the height I would need, which would rob me of distance. So I took out a 6 iron, took my stance with my head behind the ball and dropped my right shoulder. Made a nice smooth swing and hit it dead nuts center. It cleared the lip by a foot, heading high and straight on my target line. As soon as I hit it, I said to myself, "I can't hit it any better than that! That should be on."

As I drove up over the ridge and looked down towards the green, I was disappointed that I did not see my ball even on the green, let alone close, as I had expected. I knew I got all of it, so started searching behind the green. No ball. Looked left, no ball. Right, no ball. Checked the hole. You guessed it. Eagle 2 from a fairway bunker, totally blind.

I knew I hit a good one, but that has to be my best ever. I have birdied dozens of times from fairway bunkers. This was my first eagle from one. :yess

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:16 pm

Duke of Hazards

Post by Duke of Hazards » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Doug, you're a badass.
Bluto did it

sjduffers

Post by sjduffers » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:24 pm

Duke of Hazards wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:21 pm
Doug, you're a badass.
^^^ That.

Congrats on the awesome eagle! :banana
I'm gonna go low this time...

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:55 pm

Very nice shot.
Keep it short stupid.

MattF

Post by MattF » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:12 am

Nicely done Doug!

bkuehn1952

Post by bkuehn1952 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:04 am

I wonder what DougE's best shot of April will turn out to be? His confidence must be very high as he is holding out to see if he can top his effort from a fairway bunker. ;)
Let's Play 36

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Damn, I almost did it again today. First hole. Drive didn't draw and instead went into right fairway bunker. 185 yards out. 4 iron to 1 foot. Birdie.

Had a good round today. The first hole kicked it off with a bang.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:10 pm

You hit too many fairways it sounds. Start aiming for the bunkers
Keep it short stupid.

GBOGEY

Post by GBOGEY » Thu May 23, 2019 9:57 pm

Got a round in today as I have family visiting this weekend so no Memorial Day golf - first time in probably 9 years. I hope to get one more round in, but today from 240 yards hit a 5W to 15 feet, then sank the putt for my 2nd par 5 eagle from the regular tees. 240 5W!!! - Thanks cart path!!!

DougE

Post by DougE » Thu May 23, 2019 10:15 pm

Great shot!

And, I thought I had a couple awesome shots today at a course I have only played once before. Reached two par 5 greens in two, dead center; one with a hybrid and the other a 3W. Unfortunately neither resulted in eagle because BOTH finished well PAST the green, running all the way through on the very firm and fast surface, plus five or 10 yards into the rough behind. Just wasn't my day. Glad to hear it was yours, Phil.

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:46 am

So I played a scramble on 5/9 and I think that is the only golf I'm playing this month.

On one of the par 3's I hit a shot to 18" to win $50 gift card to the pro shop for closest to the pin.

The shot was dead on line 18" short from 137 yards. The hole in 1 prize was a Cruise. F'ing 18" cost me probably $950+ in value.
Keep it short stupid.

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:58 am

This isn't necessarily my best shot of the month, but worth mention just the same. I will put it in my memory bank for the next time I'm in trouble. Actually, it was more than one shot. Instead, it was more of a recovery situation than a single shot.

Par 5, about 500 yards. Had a poor tee shot into an area of trees on the right, in mowed rough. Ball was playable, but very short and there was a tree blocking my direct path forward to the green. I had to hit a high-lofted club to get over it. A wedge would have been the safest choice---no actually, going sideways back to the fairway would have been the really safest choice---but since the drive left me so far back and out of position I wanted a little extra distance if I could get it, so I risked pulling a 9i. Hit it flush and high, barely clearing the tree, but got good distance since the fairways are so firm right now. Probably flew it 125, but total was over 150.

Though it landed in the fairway, unfortunately it ended up on a slope which was way below my feet at address. I still had about 150, uphill, to the pin. I usually over-compensate with lies like this and instead of squirting them off to the right, I pull them left. I could not afford to do that on this hole, so I DID NOT yank it, but rather hit the shot you would expect, a hard to control cut. Hit it well. It started on line, but moved slightly right, and more right, and further right, right into the toughest bunker on the course. The one everyone has nightmares about. (Well, I know I do.)

So I kind of saved myself from the poor drive with a good shot over the trees to get back in play, but then get myself back into worse trouble landing in this very deep monster of a bunker which is situated on a super steep slope...and far from the back pin. I've seen guys take three or four strokes just to get out of this bunker. When in it, the green surface is still about 6 feet above your head!

When I get to my ball, it only gets worse. Due to the steepness of this bunker, it seems to have a hard time holding sand during heavy rains. It collects water at the bottom which turns everything to hard mud once it all dries out. Though we haven't had much rain in the past week, it looks like it was never fully-repaired after the last downpours. The sand is thin and the bottom is still clay-like. Here is what my ball looked like when I got to it. Yes, that's a BIG clump of clay attached to my ball. I'll finish the story in the next post.
Attachments
IMG_1550.jpg
IMG_1550.jpg (82.11 KiB) Viewed 127 times

DougE

Post by DougE » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:12 am

So, to continue the long story:

I opened up the face of my 58* wedge and figuratively, crossed my fingers. Heard the thump of the bounce hit the sand clay and watched the ball fly up and slice hard right due to the clump of sand it was carrying. I couldn't see where it landed, but thought it might have a chance to get onto the green. But, it did not. Close though. It was on the fringe, below the hole, about 12 feet away. Good news, I can putt it. Bad news, that clump of clay is still partially attached to the ball. Since it's on the fringe, I can't clean the ball.

Didn't know what to expect as a result of the clump, so made sure I put a good stroke on it with plenty of pace to try to keep it on line. It crashed into the pin and fell into the hole for one of the most unlikely pars in recent memory.

As you can see in this pic, there is still a fair amount of mud on it after the sand shot and putt.
Attachments
IMG_1551.jpg
IMG_1551.jpg (93.9 KiB) Viewed 126 times

jasonfish11

Post by jasonfish11 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:34 am

Very nice. As a person who spends most of their time outside of where you should be I appreciate great recoveries.
Keep it short stupid.

legitimatebeef

Post by legitimatebeef » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:02 am

@DougE Thank you for your dedication to playing golf rounds. I want to play right now but the golf course seems a million miles away.

MattF

Post by MattF » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:07 pm

Nicely done @DougE .